Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple questions about the possibilities of the fustion brain, and also some praise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions about the possibilities of the fustion brain, and also some praise

I've been reading what I could find about the fusion brain but I haven't seen many real world examples of what this thing can actally do. I know it takes in analog and digital inputs and outputs them. To me that means I can take the tempurature outside and make it show up on my screen in my computer. I'm looking for real world applications that this unit could provide me.

Question 1:
    Right now I have a stock monsoon amp in my 01 Camaro and it somewhat forced me into keeping my stock head unit in the car which I'd rather not do. I'll still manually turn ony my laptop though, even though it could be automated .

What I'm curious about is if I could buy an after market amp and replace it with my stock amp and then use the FB to turn on the amp once Windows is loaded. If I could do this I could ditch my head unit all together .

Question 2:
    I'd like to have my music turn up and down as I accelerate and decelerate. I like to have my music at a certain volume at all times and where I live there are a bunch of small towns so my speed is constantly fluctuating anywhere between 0 and 60 mph. If I could have the FB change the folume every 5 or 10 mph that would be fantastic since I woudn't constantly be fumbling with my volume controls (even though they are on my steering wheel )

Question 3:
    I read this in another thread but I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. My car has physical knobs form y climate control. One of them controls the fan speed and the other controls hot vs. cold. Could I somehow rig the FB to automatically try and achive a specific tempurature I set? Lets say 70 degrees?

Question 4:
    I'm 99% sure it can do this but I'll ask anyway. Can the FB lock my doors when I go above 5 mph and unlock them when my ignition is turned off? (Not 0 because I don't want the thing locking and unlocking every time I hit a stop sign.)

My 5th question was if the FB could take my 1 wire frequency sensing steering wheel control cable and convert that into commands which someone said it could in another post. That's fantastic and I've love to learn how to do it.

All in all I'm really excited about the fusion brain. From what I've gathered this is an amazing piece of hardware with incredible potential. Once some howto's start to come out and I feel comforatable I could hook this thing up on my own I would be very eager to buy one. I consider myself a complete newb when it comes to this item and I suppose my outlook on this item is the same as many others who won't post. I think my issue right now is how I hook up the sensors and how I get that information into a skin.
    2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

#1: Yes. And since the outputs wont turn on until windows is loaded, 100% anti-thump proof.

#2: That would be easiest achieved through the "speedvol" settings in RoadRunner. Uses GPS. With the brain, it can be done for sure, but you would need a speed sensor such as on your wheels. So you can do it 2 ways.

#3: Yes

#4: Again, you would need a speed sensor. But yes very doable.

#5: Are you sure it is 1-wire frequency, or is it 1-wire resistive? Either can be done, but require completely different methods to hook it up.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I'm sorry, you are correct about the resistive aspect. I couldn't remember what it was called and that was the closest thing that came to mind. Your answers are simply fantastic. I was thinking for number two the FB could monitor my spedometer maybe?

Either way thanks for the information. My last question would be when and where the information on how to do all of this will be available.

Comment

For #2, yes you could monitor the speedometer, you would just have to find a way to tap that wire. If so then yes.

And I am working as fast as I can, and I have about half of the skin designer tutorial up to show you how to setup the software side. Hardware will come after that.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work. Even when you were completely swamped you had time to answer my questions .

Comment

I have another question. I would like to take the temperature readings I get from the fusion brain and post them to the internet. My uncle has a saw mill and he likes to know the temperature of his one piece of equipment and being able to access it from home would be amazing. If I could take fusion brain and put the information it provides on the net that would be fantastic. Is this easily done?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty562 View Post
              Thanks for all your hard work. Even when you were completely swamped you had time to answer my questions .
              No problem.

I am pretty swamped now to "Vista"-ing the software... It sucks.

I have another question. I would like to take the temperature readings I get from the fusion brain and post them to the internet. My uncle has a saw mill and he likes to know the temperature of his one piece of equipment and being able to access it from home would be amazing. If I could take fusion brain and put the information it provides on the net that would be fantastic. Is this easily done?
              Possible yes. To make it just available online, easy. Set the folder where the log file exports to in a public folder and use some free software such as Apache Server. Set the "htdocs" folder of Apache (the web server root) to the log file, and then you can just navigate to and download the log file.

To make it look pretty, it will be a bit harder... You would have to program something to use the upcoming COM object... It would be easy for a web designer, hard for someone who has never programmed, (html or otherwise).

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                No problem.

I am pretty swamped now to "Vista"-ing the software... It sucks.
                That sounds like alot of tedious work... I wish I knew more programing as I would love to help.

Possible yes. To make it just available online, easy. Set the folder where the log file exports to in a public folder and use some free software such as Apache Server. Set the "htdocs" folder of Apache (the web server root) to the log file, and then you can just navigate to and download the log file.

To make it look pretty, it will be a bit harder... You would have to program something to use the upcoming COM object... It would be easy for a web designer, hard for someone who has never programmed, (html or otherwise).
                I didn't think of that. That would actually work perfectly. They would be checking it from a dial-up connection so a low bandwidth solution would be perfect. You can't get much more dial-up friendly than a log file .

Comment

you guys are amazing, never cease to genuinely amaze me evrytime i check these posts, and the hard work getting put into this, seriously top notch...!

Comment

I didn't think of that. That would actually work perfectly. They would be checking it from a dial-up connection so a low bandwidth solution would be perfect. You can't get much more dial-up friendly than a log file .
                    Have you tried this yet, and if so is this what you were hoping for?

I am thinking that I may be able to make the log file more eye-appealing or perhaps more features if somebody would like that?

Comment

Have you tried this yet, and if so is this what you were hoping for?

I am thinking that I may be able to make the log file more eye-appealing or perhaps more features if somebody would like that?
                      It actually will work perfectly. I downloaded and installed quick 'n easy ftp server (free edition) and had someone connect to my ftp server and had them simulate what I would be trying to do and it worked without error. I will be able to set it up like a bookmark on the end users web browswer and just have the end user connect to the internet and click on the bookmark which will take them into the ftp server. It's simple and that's what I'm after .

As far as looks go, all it would really NEED would be a timestamp, temp, and which sensor it is referring to. We'll probably have 3 or 4 thermometers so I'm not sure if we'll have 3 or 4 separate log files or if we'll have them all in one log file somehow. Another thing I'd want to control is the rate at which these log files are created. One per day, one per week, month year, ect just for organizational sake. The other issue is how to make the log file in the first place but I'm assumign once I get my hardware and software that will become obvious (my order is waiting on relays to ship ).

Of course if you can make everythign look prettier somehow I'm sure the end user woudln't have a problem with that. The more I think about things I'd almost like to use the fusion brain to almost function as somewhat of a command center. Like one web app that could have a bunch of different features integraded into it. One tab could be what the thermometers are hooked up to, another tab could be to control all the lights, and another could flip a valve or something I don't know. The goal would be able to do all of the things the end user would otherwize have to get out of their chair to check on . All of these could be done remotely of course, being able to turn the heat on at home before you go into work would be fantastic.

This is all just me spitting out whatever comes to mind, the main thing I want to be able to do is juts get the log file no matter how its formatted or hwo long it is or whatever. As long as the person I'm setting this up for can check their tempuraters on their kilns so they don't have to drive all the way to the actual site and check them I'm happy.

Comment

I am actually taking this idea and flying with it. I have spent the better half of tonight and thismorning designing the interface almost completely, now I just need to code it in.

I am redoing the way the device logs info, and your input would be apreciated here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/soft...ml#post1113500

Comment

This thing is fantastic, I'll be getting one for my car in the next month or two. And sometime after that possibly 2 more for my house.
                          Ampie Case
                          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Okay, I'm ready to install the brain in my car. The first task I'm going to handle is my steering wheel controls. My model (4th gen Camaro) is 1-wire resistive. I have a diagram of the pins.

C3 - White 10-pin connector
                            11 - GRAY - (Convertible) amplifier sensor
                            12 - not used
                            13 - not used
                            14 - DARK BLUE - steering wheel controls input
                            15 - not used
                            16 - DARK GREEN w/WHITE - (Camaro) vehicle speed sensor input for automatic volume
                            17 - LIGHT BLUE - right rear speaker negative
                            18 - DARK BLUE - right rear speaker positive
                            19 - YELLOW - left rear speaker negative
                            20 - BROWN - left rear speaker positive

*Note* That info came from ls1tech.com I don't take any credit for it .

So I have one wire (wire 14 on the diagram) that inputs all of my information from my steering wheel. I have two issues.

1. How do I physically hook that wire up to the analog pins of the brain?
                            2. Once it is hooked up, what do I have to set in the software to make it convert the resistances to roadrunner commands?

Comment

First you need to find the maximum resistance. Push each button and monitor the values. The highest value will determine the size of the second resistor you need to make a voltage divider.

Comment

Working...
                              X