Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering Wheel Control Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steering Wheel Control Help

    I'm a little confused on hooking up my steering wheel controls.

    Car is a 2006 350z.

    Steering wheel controls are 2-Wire Resistive type.

    Pin 16
    Power (Press and hold POWER switch.) Approx. 0Ω
    Seek down (Press and hold SEEK DOWN switch.) Approx. 165Ω
    Volume down (Press and hold VOLUME DOWN switch.) Approx. 652Ω

    Pin 20
    Mode Press and hold MODE switch. Approx. 0Ω
    Seek up (Press and hold SEEK UP switch.) Approx. 165Ω
    Volume up (Press and hold VOLUME UP switch.) Approx. 652Ω

    How should I hook this up? Please in laymen terms.

  • #2
    What were you measuring? Pin 16 to ground? and Pin 20 to ground?

    Comment


    • #3
      Straight from the service manual.. Thanks mate

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice! I can help but I'm not home right now. I will in the next day or two, rest assured.

        you'll need two resistors, that's it. I'll post info later

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
          Nice! I can help but I'm not home right now. I will in the next day or two, rest assured.

          you'll need two resistors, that's it. I'll post info later
          Much appreciated mated. My installer just gave me a blank stare when I handed him my CarPC and Fusion brain..

          Comment


          • #6
            read this:

            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/docu...-controls.html

            apply solution D twice

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks. I have read that thread but I don't get the wording.
              And your steering wheel is R2. Connect one steering wheel wire to ground, and the other the steering wheel wire to the input of the brain and one side of R2. Connect the other side of R2 to the +5vDC pin on the brain's analog input header (towards the center of the board). You're done!
              So one steering wheel wire goes the Fusion Brain ground (does it matter which?)
              Then the other goes to the brain analog input and R2? I'm connecting one wire to two places?

              Comment


              • #8
                Look at your service manual. Pin 17 is shared by the two steering wheel controls... is it has to be ground.

                Pin 17 to ground
                Pin 16 to FB input and R1
                Pin 20 to FB input and another R1

                tie the other sides of both R1s to +5vDC on the FB.

                make sense?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SKiTLz View Post
                  Thanks. I have read that thread but I don't get the wording.


                  So one steering wheel wire goes the Fusion Brain ground (does it matter which?)
                  Then the other goes to the brain analog input and R2? I'm connecting one wire to two places?
                  EDIT: I'll give you $20 for a retard friendly diagram. lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just fixed the wording in that other thread.

                    i'll whip up a drawing, h/o

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                      Look at your service manual. Pin 17 is shared by the two steering wheel controls... is it has to be ground.

                      Pin 17 to ground
                      Pin 16 to FB input and R1
                      Pin 20 to FB input and another R1

                      tie the other sides of both R1s to +5vDC on the FB.

                      make sense?
                      I think I get it now.. Can pin 17 be any ground or have to ground on the FB?

                      So splice Pin 16 two ways. Same with 20. Tie both R1's together and back to +5 on FB.

                      I get it..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        not quite "professional" quality, but it was fast

                        let me know if you have any questions. it can be any ground, but it's best to run it back to the brain. Technically there's no difference, but if you ground it to a crappy or dirty point it can cause issues
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Your MS Paint skills amaze me.. lol

                          Seriosully though, appreciate it mate. Makes perfect sense now. This was a must have for me as I love my steering wheel controls.

                          EDIT: Anything AROUND 660 for the resistor should be fine right? It does say Approx.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SKiTLz View Post
                            Your MS Paint skills amaze me.. lol

                            Seriosully though, appreciate it mate. Makes perfect sense now. This was a must have for me as I love my steering wheel controls.

                            EDIT: Anything AROUND 660 for the resistor should be fine right? It does say Approx.
                            yup, like 500-800 would be fine

                            all it will change is the output voltage slightly... which won't matter because the correct next step is to hook everything up, push a button, record the voltage, push a button, record the voltage, etc.... if that makes sense

                            the only reason it'd have to be exactly a certain resistance is if you had to calculate the theoretical output voltage... but you can measure it, so no worries

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                              yup, like 500-800 would be fine

                              all it will change is the output voltage slightly... which won't matter because the correct next step is to hook everything up, push a button, record the voltage, push a button, record the voltage, etc.... if that makes sense

                              the only reason it'd have to be exactly a certain resistance is if you had to calculate the theoretical output voltage... but you can measure it, so no worries

                              Makes perfect sense.

                              The FB can record voltage itself right? I don't have to measure it manually and then tell the FB the voltage for each button?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X