USB 1.1 - what will happen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 1.1 - what will happen

I know the FAQ says that Fusion Brain requires USB 2.0, but my carputer only has USB 1.1, and there are no available expansion slots. What would happen if I plugged the FB into a USB 1.1 port? Would it still work, albeit slower?

SG

Possibly. There are no guarantees.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
      Possibly. There are no guarantees.
      I'm only intending to use it for its analog inputs to sense on/off buttons. I can't imagine that much data going back/forth. Can you think of a reason why this wouldn't work? (e.g. driver looks for USB 2.0, etc.)

SG

Comment

We haven't tested it with 1.1, and some controllers are picky. If it doesn't work, we'd gladly take a refund... But we don't have any legacy computers to test with.

Comment

There is no reason for it not to work with 1.1, but we have no way to test. So just like the minimum software requirements, we list the minimum as the lowest that we have the ability to test on.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            There is no reason for it not to work with 1.1, but we have no way to test. So just like the minimum software requirements, we list the minimum as the lowest that we have the ability to test on.
            Am I to understand that you guys don't possess a single computer that has 1.1 USB. Or you just don't have one that is capable to fully test it?

Comment

simple fix, just purchase and install this guy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815104216 if you are not sure. It's only 14 bucks and you should be good to go. Of course this will only work if you have room for it.

Good Luck friend

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by BrownieMan View Post
                Am I to understand that you guys don't possess a single computer that has 1.1 USB. Or you just don't have one that is capable to fully test it?
                Alright already, I have a couple tablets with 1.1 that I can dust off and test with this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes by tomorrow night. I don't expect any problems personally.
                HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                  Alright already, I have a couple tablets with 1.1 that I can dust off and test with this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes by tomorrow night. I don't expect any problems personally.
                  I'm sorry if that message came off hostile, it was just a legit question. I greatly appreciate you going this extra mile and testing it on 1.1

Comment

Originally posted by BrownieMan View Post
                    I'm sorry if that message came off hostile, it was just a legit question. I greatly appreciate you going this extra mile and testing it on 1.1
                    Initial test proved good!!! Although I must caveat that with a statement about no hub and no other peripherals, yet. Maybe tonight, I'll take it out to the car with its three hubs running 7 peripherals.

Also the hubs used make a big difference. All mine are unpowered and expensive since they're no longer manufactured; but they'll handle everything I throw at them, survive crank and hibernation, reconfig automatically when moving peripherals from slot to slot, etc and support both 1.1 and 2.0 simultaneously. (I have about a dozen other hubs in my resale bin cause they failed to meet one or more of the above).

More testing later.
                    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I will say this about the Fusion Brain Control Center Uber MDX: it is definitely not designed for the low power, min memory legacy computer. My ST3500 has 500MHz processor, 256Mg memory, full XP Home (but not SP2), daylight-readable transflexive touchscreen, with one onboard USB and two more in the dock. I had tweaked this system for years to get a stable platform for RR, Freedrive, DIVX playback, and Internet radio. With everything running and all above USB connections the CPU usage averaged 80-90%. To install Uber MDX, I had to update XP to SP 3, load .Net 3.5, and give up an additional 800+Mg of diskspace. The drivers had to be manually installed as well as the RRFusion. Trying to install Uber MDX without the above crashed everytime. RRFusion was pretty straight-forward although since I'm a skin junkie I had to put the fusion setup strings in RR.ini so it works with all my skins.

I talked a little about my hubs above and my signature tells you almost everything about what I'm running in the cars. While waiting for the attendees of the St Louis Mp3Car Meet I opened up my car and attached my Fusion brain to my ACC power block. The ST3500 Tablet for this experiment was powered by a cigarette adapter power supply which may somewhat skew the results but most of the experiment was done while the car was running so the data should be accurate.

With nothing else hooked up other than the FB, it worked like a charm - no difference from USB 2.0 systems. As soon as I connected thru my hubs things got interesting. Response time for a digitally triggered relay using the direct connect with nothing else was appx .3 sec at 50% CPU and all sensors active. The same signal thru the hub with all other accessories took over a second and CPU hit 95-99%. My setup has all sensors active but only two temp sensors were connected. If all sensors had been connected I feel sure in saying the bandwidth of the USB 1.1 would be maxed out completely. I vaguely recall something about adjusting the refresh rate on the analog inputs - that might help some, but the more gets added to the hubs the slower it AND EVERYTHING ELSE CONNECTED THRU USB gets. You can forget about USB DVD or Internet Radio and GPS routing falls waaaay behind.

The bottom line - YES IT DOES WORK!!

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                        I will say this about the Fusion Brain Control Center Uber MDX: it is definitely not designed for the low power, min memory legacy computer. My ST3500 has 500MHz processor, 256Mg memory, full XP Home (but not SP2), daylight-readable transflexive touchscreen, with one onboard USB and two more in the dock. I had tweaked this system for years to get a stable platform for RR, Freedrive, DIVX playback, and Internet radio. With everything running and all above USB connections the CPU usage averaged 80-90%. To install Uber MDX, I had to update XP to SP 3, load .Net 3.5, and give up an additional 800+Mg of diskspace. The drivers had to be manually installed as well as the RRFusion. Trying to install Uber MDX without the above crashed everytime. RRFusion was pretty straight-forward although since I'm a skin junkie I had to put the fusion setup strings in RR.ini so it works with all my skins.

I talked a little about my hubs above and my signature tells you almost everything about what I'm running in the cars. While waiting for the attendees of the St Louis Mp3Car Meet I opened up my car and attached my Fusion brain to my ACC power block. The ST3500 Tablet for this experiment was powered by a cigarette adapter power supply which may somewhat skew the results but most of the experiment was done while the car was running so the data should be accurate.

With nothing else hooked up other than the FB, it worked like a charm - no difference from USB 2.0 systems. As soon as I connected thru my hubs things got interesting. Response time for a digitally triggered relay using the direct connect with nothing else was appx .3 sec at 50% CPU and all sensors active. The same signal thru the hub with all other accessories took over a second and CPU hit 95-99%. My setup has all sensors active but only two temp sensors were connected. If all sensors had been connected I feel sure in saying the bandwidth of the USB 1.1 would be maxed out completely. I vaguely recall something about adjusting the refresh rate on the analog inputs - that might help some, but the more gets added to the hubs the slower it AND EVERYTHING ELSE CONNECTED THRU USB gets. You can forget about USB DVD or Internet Radio and GPS routing falls waaaay behind.

The bottom line - YES IT DOES WORK!!
                        Thank you so much for the analysis. This has helped me a lot in plannign things out and I'm sure will answer questions in the future for people.

Comment

a 500Mhz processor can barely run windows XP much less a directX based program...

It's really not meant for super low end systems. You can download the old version 2.0 if you need that, but you're on your own for support with it.

Comment

FCC can run in non-DirectX mode now with the command line switch of "-basicgui". Then it should be able to run without DirectX installed.

Also if you dont want to install .NET 3.5, then you cannot use the voice control. Set it to disabled and run in debug mode by adding the command line switch "-debug".

Also, XP only needs SP2 to run a C# application because the .NET 2.0 requires it.

So if you want more limited features, try that and report back.

Interesting results with the USB 1.1 too.
                            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                            X