Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad sensor?

Hello,

I'm looking for some input as to whether I'm dumb or my sensor's busted.

I created an instance using my Fusion Brain and just a temperature sensor. I finally got the configurator file working using just the Temperature sensor[celcius] function. When I read the value running the config file in MDX, I got temps around 40 C.

I implanted the C->F converter parameters into the function and got temps around 120 F, also.

Could I be using the standard functions wrong or do I have a busted sensor? (granted it is kinda old...)

Thanks!
    CT

Originally posted by ctsoccer13 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for some input as to whether I'm dumb or my sensor's busted.

I created an instance using my Fusion Brain and just a temperature sensor. I finally got the configurator file working using just the Temperature sensor[celcius] function. When I read the value running the config file in MDX, I got temps around 40 C.

I implanted the C->F converter parameters into the function and got temps around 120 F, also.

Could I be using the standard functions wrong or do I have a busted sensor? (granted it is kinda old...)

Thanks!
    CT
    How old? If you ordered in early to mid 2007, you have a different temperature sensor, which will read high if used with the newer sensor's function. By any chance can you read the markings on the black part?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Ah, yea.. I did order it probably mid-last year.

The ridiculously small writing on the back says something along the lines of:
      MCP
      9701AE
      TO
      8422EW

Forgive me if I'm off by a letter or number--it's kinda hard to read

Comment

if you can, probe the sensor with a multimeter while it's being powered. Let us knwo what voltage it reports, and what temperature.

Comment

hey, sorry it took me a while to respond--had a bit going on.

I measured the voltage across it and its at 3.618 V while reading a temp of 41.58 C using the temperature function given with the configurator.

Thanks for the help so far!
          CT

Comment

vout=.0195*temp+.4, where temp is measured in degC.

so, (3.61800 - .400) / .0195 = 165.025641

which doesn't make any sense. I think you're measuring it wrong. Measure between the two black wires, not the red one.

Comment

my mistake. i was measuring Vce, rather than Vbe.

Vbe = .945 V
              T = 42.33 Celc.

Plugging the numbers in, it makes sense that the calculated T would be around 27-28 degrees C. So would the fix be as easy as multiplying the temperature calculated by the given function by a factor of .66?

Sorry for the mixup...

CT

Comment

Interesting. There was a bug in the firmware. Can you use the brain to measure a known voltage source, like a 1.5 volt battery, and report back?

Additionally, let us know what the brain measures the voltage as, without any temperature functions. You can use the virtual brain function for this, I think.

Comment

Working...
                X