Brain temp reading incorrect...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain temp reading incorrect...

I'm convinced I am doing something wrong.

I have hooked up my brain up and hooked up a temp sensor.

According to the brain it's really cold in here.

-5F, -20.48C

I thought I might have been looking at the wrong Analog input so I read them all and they all read the same thing. I'm assuming that it is the 0V reading.

Any ideas as to what I have screwed up?

I've done this with the ninja kitty and without. Same result.
    My Install : '08 Saturn Sky In-dash

-20.48 is the 0v reading meaning no info is getting passed to use whichever input.

Which Fusion Brain version?
    How do you have the temp sensor connected/oriented?
    What does your config file's IO section look like?
    What does a virtual brain look like when you have everything connected?
    How are you powering it?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Geez... I love how quickly you reply.

Version 3.
      Red wire toward the large IC (BASIC stamp?) but I have tried it both ways.

Are you referring to this:

<!-- Begin Analogue Input Instances -->
      <iochannel id="Temp0" port="0" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      <options history="15" auto_average="true"></options>
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp1" port="1" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp2" port="2" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp3" port="3" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp4" port="4" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp5" port="5" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp6" port="6" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <iochannel id="Temp7" port="7" brain="My Fusion Brain 0" type="analogue_input">
      </iochannel>
      <!-- End Analogue Input Instances -->
      </io>

How does one get the virtual brain display? By telling it you don't have a BRAIN when looking for one?

Powering it with a 12V wall wart.

Comment

Ok since you are using version 3 did you enter version 3 in the options when you did the configurator? Wizard had an error I just corrected (~3 mins ago) that basically made all configurations made with the wizard use a version 4 Fusion Brain, so download the update by right clicking the MDX Updater and choosing "Update Now".

Here is the hardware manual for Version 2 and 3. Version 2 is pictured as the green board, Version 3 is pretty much identical (2 = beta, 3 = release, 4 = beta & release this time) but blue: http://www.fusioncontrolcentre.com/F...r%20Manual.pdf

Page #3 shows +5v towards the centre of the board.

Also the big chip isnt a basic stamp, but basically the same thing. It is a programmable microchip made by... wait for it... "Microchip". Also detailed in the hardware manual for Version 2/3.

That is the IO section of the config file, but I was more looking for how the Fusion Brain was declared, so right above that there should be something like:

Code:
          <!-- Begin Fusion Brain Instances -->
              <brain id="My Fusion Brain 0" version="4">brain id 0</brain>
          <!-- End Fusion Brain Instances -->
        That is what I am looking for to see what version it is looking for. The byte streams are NOT compatible so it must know which version is which by telling it.

To get a Virtual Brain, use the configurator and the icon aligned on the right (the bug for "debugging") opens up the general options. Then make sure to enable global debugging by selecting it in the top menu of the pop up window. Then near the bottom of the pop up window it has the names of all Fusion Brain instances in that configuration file. Select the one you want to debug by checking its box, and save the file. Open in MDX and 2 windows will appear, the main window and the debugging window.

I have an early start tomorrow morning so I am heading off, but if your brain version is set to 4, set it to 3 and see if that works.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

The good news... Setting it to three made the value read correctly...

Bad news: The program stopped functioning correctly. I'll take it to work tomorrow and mess around with it there.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Trying to run in debug mode doesn't seem to work, either. The windows open and boom.

Comment

Ok. I got it to launch, but the values are still hovering around 0V. (The C temp gets up to about -19.5). They are at least MOVING. But all of them are moving. Not just the one that I have something hooked up to.

the sensor is hooked up to Analog Input #01 and both 01 and 02 are hovering around 0.0013V.

I think I may have fried what looks like a transistor, though I'm not sure how. All of a sudden I smelled burning and the whole sensor was HOT. Not sure what happened. Not like I did anything strange.

So, anyway. I'll mess around more at work tomorrow. Thx.

Comment

All the values should change, it has to do with the inputs being left connected to nothing. If it bothers you, you can put a jumper to ground on them.

If the sensor got hot, it's probably damaged. It isn't actually a transistor.

Comment

Yeah. I didn't actually think it was a transisitor, but it certainly looks like one.

Do you know why it would have gotten so hot?

Comment

hooking it up backwards, for starters

Comment

I never said I was bright.

Comment

Working...
                      X