taking 5V off the brain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking 5V off the brain

On the v3, can I pull enough power off the 5V to run a USB hub + web cam?

The next really stupid automation project just came to me

you'd need a relay and a 12v-5v stepdown regulator. I'm not sure with how many amps the FB puts out.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I think he means use the +5v signal from the FB to power that stuff. Short answer: no.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        I think he means use the +5v signal from the FB to power that stuff. Short answer: no.
        All I needed to know. Gracias
        (thought the "5VOUT" printed on the PCB + a mount hole/heatsink on the regulator might mean I'd have enough current)
        I'll just step the 12V in down to power the hub/camera, only adds a minimum of complexity

Comment

That regulator is crappy at high load. It works fine to power the brain and its sensors. It is only rated to a single amp the way we have it now. You would need to heatsink and solder directly to the regulator since the traces wont be able to handle it if you want to pull it through the pins. Even then you arent going to get that much out of it before it blows up, and then you take your FB with it.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
          X