No announcement yet.

where to start

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to start

I bought my FB a couple of years ago and struggled. I have now come back to it and everything has changed.

I have a carputer, and want to control winamp through buttonson my dash (volume, play, stop, rwd, ffwd(

I have read through the tutorials but have a few questions first.

1. Can i develop on my vista machine even though my carputer will is XP?
    2. do i still need to develop a skin, even though i don't need to see the output?
    3. can the volume control control master volume now (rather than winamp volume?)

1 Should be no problem. I have a VB program I wrote on XP & works/edits fine in vista 64, can't use MDX on 64bit though. Next test is win7 32bit (quick trial did some wierd things, not sure if it was a problem or just something else goin on)
    2 nope, just make the logic do it all
    3. not sure, it's going to depend on how you are interacting from MDX->Winamp/windows (not sure if MDX can do that yet, VB could)

also, when using the mdx i get told there are no fusion brains connected, does it not support the earlier versions of the brain?

which version do you have? works fine for both my version 3 and version 4

Make sure you specify brain version 3 in the config file.

i am not sure which version i have, i bought it in Jun/Jul 2007

here is a pic.

that's a v3. You need to open the .xml and change the version.

thanks, but i do not think i have got that far yet.

my brain is powered, and linked to usb.

i open "MDX configurator"
                and click on add brain
                the "brain form" pops up.
                and i click the magnifying glass next to ID.

i then get an error message saying "no version 4 brains were detected" and "no version 3 brains were detected"

fallen at first hurdle?

hold on, no lights on the brain. and a puff of smoke from the 1 of the 2 smaller chips.

i guess that's not good?

actually the chip has a crack in it... guess that's not good either

Nah dont worry, lots of chips have cracks in them!

Thats a joke :P Sounds like you blew a driver chip. That typically means one of your outputs is shorted.
                      2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                      Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                      The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

i am not using any outputs

or you hooked up your power supply backwards. either way, not good.

ok, quite certain i haven't unless the power supply in the house has a positive outer, i'll check this tonight.

i've ordered a new brain. it looks like the project is on hold again.

what a numpty,

i tested the power supply with a chepo battery tester, 12v +ve inner, great no probs.

when i tried it again (after blowing the brain, i thought i'd reverse the battery tester, still 12v ... hmmmm ... the power supply was 12v AC!!!!