NES controller into FB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NES controller into FB

ok so i have an oldskool NES controller i bought and i want to use it as an alternative to the touchscreen for firing some functions in MDX.. i have the very first model.. looks like this..

Now how about i go about wiring this into the FB? as you can see here the wiring setup.. obviously ill need to use more then one port?

hopefully someone can help me, as different keys will output different voltages.. and well, if i can use all the buttons that would be epic..

Ryann

They don't output different voltages. I know because I made myself a NES - USB converter. It is all just a shift register. You clock the chip inside the controller and it outputs the information about which button is pressed.

It's a very simple system and with some clever coding you could probably achieve it easily enough. If not, there's a company called ZeroSoft which gives you a schematic and code to make your own NES - USB converter. You can turn it into a mouse or you can use it as a joystick. I think the newer versions let you do both if you do a special key combination.
    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
      hopefully someone can help me, as different keys will output different voltages.. and well, if i can use all the buttons that would be epic..

Ryann
      Are you sure about that?

I am fairly certain that the NES controller was a pure digital signal. It latched the button presses to a shift register, then clocked the controller and every button's state was sent back to the NES.

I would say open it up and wire each button (they already have pull up resistors) to an input. That is the easiest way. 1 input = 1 button.

EDIT: Beat to the punch... That's what I get for having so many tabs open at once!
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        EDIT: Beat to the punch... That's what I get for having so many tabs open at once!
        Oops
        Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          Are you sure about that?
          definately not sure of that 2k, im basing this off assumption.. haha ill pull it apart over the weekend and have a look.. cheers for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
            definately not sure of that 2k, im basing this off assumption.. haha ill pull it apart over the weekend and have a look.. cheers for the replies
            Ryan, we're 100% sure it's a shift register.
            Blog

Comment

Working...
            X