Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Arduino sensors be used with the FB v6?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can Arduino sensors be used with the FB v6?

    Good morning,

    Can Arduino sensors be used with the FB v6?

    The shipping costs from the US to UK are very high so I was wondering whether I could use something like eBay number 111267142918.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

  • #2
    if i am correct, FB uses 3.3v as input?? if that is correct, then it can read any analog input, between 0-3.3v .
    the sensor you posted seems to be working bot with 5v and with 3.3v as well. so if you just hook it to 3.3v , you should get readings from 0 to 3.3v . (meaning its ok to use it)

    i haven't ever worked with FB to be honest tho.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by settra View Post
      if i am correct, FB uses 3.3v as input?? if that is correct, then it can read any analog input, between 0-3.3v .
      the sensor you posted seems to be working bot with 5v and with 3.3v as well. so if you just hook it to 3.3v , you should get readings from 0 to 3.3v . (meaning its ok to use it)

      i haven't ever worked with FB to be honest tho.
      Thanks for the very quick reply. I'm hoping to play with a FB v6 this week and would very much like to use it fully. I have proper OEM temp sensors, relays, parking sensor, current board and freq2volt boards - just want to have accelerometers too .

      I'm looking for some hardware tech info to if anyone can help, for connecting devices, firmware upgrades, etc.

      Thanks,
      Dave
      Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm guessing I'll need the +++ and grd the Analogue row of pins from the FB to the sensor; and the sensor x,y and z will go to the FB Ain (FB link http://store.fusioncontrolcentre.com...&product_id=50)

        Cheers
        Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

        Comment


        • #5
          . have in mind that accelerometers always produce a voltage output , cause of static forces like gravity, so dont be surprised if you see signal,without movement

          as for the tech info considering FB in particular, i cant help... but if you need anything else, feel free to ask!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by settra View Post
            . have in mind that accelerometers always produce a voltage output , cause of static forces like gravity, so dont be surprised if you see signal,without movement

            as for the tech info considering FB in particular, i cant help... but if you need anything else, feel free to ask!!
            I'm aware of statics forces and planned to use the - ignore if the value is..... but thanks for the reminder. From that I would expect to see all three about the same with 3.3v and grd applied .

            Any ideas what the other connectors on the accelerometer are?

            Thanks again

            Cheers
            Last edited by Dave One; 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM.
            Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

            Comment


            • #7
              yiap.

              GS : the pin which allow's you to select sensitivity (1,5 or 6g). i think low input to that pin, is 1.5g , high is 6g.
              ST: is selft test. ignore it
              SL: sleep mode. in my accelometer, if this pin is not HIGH, it does not work... just sort it with VCC.
              OG: this pin is high, when all 3axis are sensing 0g.

              but dont take my word for it, becouse i can be making a mistake... ALL the information you need, can be found here:
              https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...l/MMA7361L.pdf the datasheet for the chip, this sensor uses... (you anyway need it, to convert voltage to actual "g" )

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by settra View Post
                yiap.

                GS : the pin which allow's you to select sensitivity (1,5 or 6g). i think low input to that pin, is 1.5g , high is 6g.
                ST: is selft test. ignore it
                SL: sleep mode. in my accelometer, if this pin is not HIGH, it does not work... just sort it with VCC.
                OG: this pin is high, when all 3axis are sensing 0g.

                but dont take my word for it, becouse i can be making a mistake... ALL the information you need, can be found here:
                https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...l/MMA7361L.pdf the datasheet for the chip, this sensor uses... (you anyway need it, to convert voltage to actual "g" )
                Cheers Settra, your help has made things much clearer - thanks bud .

                I think I'm looking trying that sensor and having the 3.3v (with GS and SL shorted to 3.3v) from the Fusion Brain, ground from the Fusion Brain, and x/y/z sensor outputs to Fusion Brain.

                RRFusion research time next .

                Thanks so much .
                Dave
                Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  no problem just pay attention to the pdf, and everything should work just fine have fun!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes the inputs are 3.3v.

                    And you won't get 3 equal signals on a 3-axis accelerometer when sitting there. You will get 1G in the Z direction and then hopefully 0G in the X and Y just from being idle.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      Yes the inputs are 3.3v.

                      And you won't get 3 equal signals on a 3-axis accelerometer when sitting there. You will get 1G in the Z direction and then hopefully 0G in the X and Y just from being idle.
                      Good point. Thanks.

                      Are there any neat ways to display the movements in RR?

                      Cheers,
                      Dave

                      From my Sony Xperia
                      Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by settra View Post
                        yiap.

                        GS : the pin which allow's you to select sensitivity (1,5 or 6g). i think low input to that pin, is 1.5g , high is 6g.
                        ST: is selft test. ignore it
                        SL: sleep mode. in my accelometer, if this pin is not HIGH, it does not work... just sort it with VCC.
                        OG: this pin is high, when all 3axis are sensing 0g.

                        but dont take my word for it, becouse i can be making a mistake... ALL the information you need, can be found here:
                        https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...l/MMA7361L.pdf the datasheet for the chip, this sensor uses... (you anyway need it, to convert voltage to actual "g" )
                        Just tried it out . Spot On, Cheers.

                        I just have the problem of zero-ing and noise reduction but I have seen a thread on this, so of I go to read it .
                        Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            X is reading virtually 0G (1.6v), Y is reading virtually 0G (1.6v) and Z is reading 0.4G (1.73v) when held level. I was expecting Z to be 1G so I need to do some reading up.......... Enjoying learning what the Brain can do .
                            Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              well, 1G is not actually correct anyway. and depending on the design of the sensor, there could be good reasons why its not showing 1G.... there are some other force's , because of earth's rotation, that in macroscopic level don't seem important, but they could affect the sensors readings... but again, you do not care about the "Actuall" force that the sensor is sensing. only the difference in output, in regards to "Zero". i would, just use the "1.73v" as 0G...

                              (the 1.6 v on X and Y, are there becouse there ARE forces on those axis too. but they are constant, like gravity, so you should not care, hence the "virtuall zero" )

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X