How to use a configuration file created by the Configurator with MDX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use a configuration file created by the Configurator with MDX

Tutorial found here in html form: http://www.fusioncontrolcentre.com/F...config_002.php

Copy Pasted below as of June 7th, 2008. For the most up to date version use the html website.

================================================== ========================

Very simple tutorial on how to get your work from the Fusion Control Centre MDX Configurator to the Fusion Control Centre Uber MDX Edition software to be utilized by the Fusion Brain.

First complete your configuration file. Make sure it contains graphical elements so you can see it, as well as Fusion Brain instances and the appropriate I/O channels. For help setting these items up, please refer to the other tutorials linked to on the main help page found by clicking the "Help" tab on the top of any page.

When ready to save your configuration file, click the save icon on the top toolbar.

After clicking the save icon, the save file dialogue prompt will appear. This is a standard Windows dialogue box and can be navigated as any other.

Notice the default file name and extension. The XML file "FusionConfiguration.xml" is the only file that MDX looks for when opening. You are free to name the file anything you want for archival purposes, but it must be named "FusionConfiguration.xml" for Fusion Control Centre Uber MDX Edition to read in and parse all the configuration information. After choosing the correct saving directory and entering the correct filename, click "Save" in the bottom right of the save dialogue box.

After saving, confirm that you see this popup. If this becomes visible and fades away, it means that the file was successfully saved to the specified location. If an error message appears, please follow the instructions in the error or look in the help section found by clicking the "Help" tab at the top of any website page.

Now to navigate to where you installed Fusion Control Centre Uber MDX Edition. If you allowed for the default paths from the installer you will find it is "[root]:\Program Files\Fusion Control Centre Uber MDX Edition\MDX\" as shown to the right.

There you will see current configuration file. Notice how it must be in the same root directory as the main program's *.exe file. This cannot be changed. The Configurator automatically saves all dependencies neatly into the directory "Content" which contains images, functions, and fonts. Copy the file you saved previously to this location. Since the file will have the same name, either rename the current configuration file first, or archive it as a backup. The new file will overwrite it.

Alternatively, you can save the confguration file directly from the Configurator to this location and it will overwrite the current file saving you trouble of copying the file.

And by double clicking the icon for Fusion Control Centre Uber MDX Edition you will open up the program. The screenshot on the right is a screenshot of the skin shown in the first image in the configurator, now running in MDX itself. The text labels are brought to life, the multi-images at the top are working to show the current gear position, and communicating with the Fusion Brain.

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

I've created a configuration file and saved it to the MDX directory but when i run the exe nothing happens. Nothing opens at all. Even when I have the default config file there nothing happens when I run the exe. Any ideas??

Comment

did you name it fusionconfiguration.xml?
      It's been a while...

Comment

Originally posted by h3rk View Post
        did you name it fusionconfiguration.xml?
        Yep, sure did.

Comment

So you can't even get MDX to run even with the default skin? Have you ever got it to run?
          It's been a while...

Comment

No it has never run. If I do a clean install and run the exe it wont do anything. At first I thought it must be because I had to create my own config xml so I went and did that and it still didn't work. Now I know that it should have worked originally with the default fusionconfiguration.xml file as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BGH View Post
              No it has never run. If I do a clean install and run the exe it wont do anything. At first I thought it must be because I had to create my own config xml so I went and did that and it still didn't work. Now I know that it should have worked originally with the default fusionconfiguration.xml file as well.
              If nothing happens, then something is very wrong with the installation. How did you install it. What OS, what happens when you click the exe?

If an error occurs post a screenshot. Do you have virus protection turned on or something?
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Running TinyXP rev9. I just ran the installer (think it was about 280Mb), took a while but everything seemed to install fine. No virus software or anything installed. There is no error message either. I just run the exe and the hourglass comes up for half a second and then nothing.

Comment

Well my guess is that it is TinyXP related. We do not directly support that at all, and on a full installation it installs and runs correctly. I am guessing there is some dependency that is on all main computers that isnt on TinyXP. I can try to figure this out, but I tell you now it wont be for a while as I am currently swamped.

Comment

I knew you would say that

Hmmm, don't know if I can be bothered with yet another reinstall at this point in time.

Don't suppose you have a version of the exe with some verbose logging to help me track down what might be the problem?

Comment

Actually when re-installing I did get an error

Comment

Originally posted by BGH View Post
                        Running TinyXP rev9. I just ran the installer (think it was about 280Mb), took a while but everything seemed to install fine. No virus software or anything installed. There is no error message either. I just run the exe and the hourglass comes up for half a second and then nothing.
                        Do you have another computer available that doesn't have TinyXP?

Comment

Good news everyone. I downloaded the .net 3.5 fix straight from microsoft and it installed without the error I was getting in the MDX install. I also reinstalled MDX on it's own and now it seems to be working.

Now that it is running I just need to work out why it isn't doing what I told it to.

Comment

Tiny XP rev 9 has all kinds of problems. The platinum ver 2 is the one to use. And also make sure to format the drive before installing it.

Comment

Hmm maybe I need to update my dev distros if it didnt work from the installer but from microsoft. But problems with the software on TinyXP will be blamed on TinyXP until proven otherwise since the copy on my machine not running it, works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X