various sensors...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• various sensors...

hi, new to the forum but i've just joined up because this fusion brain is interesting me... it MIGHT be exactly what i've been looking for.

what i need to do is take data from numerous sensors and display it on an 8" touchscreen on the dash... simple so far, however the data i need will be boost pressure, water temp, exhaust gas temp, maybe oil temp, maybe propane gas pressure, maybe cylinder head temp sensor and a few current sensors.

i noticed theres temp sensors on the fusion brain site, but im not sure they'll do what i need, and theres no boost sensors etc. i need something quite hardcore, as its going into a landrover defender that frequently takes some knocks and bangs. hardly a nice smooth ride! also, i may be able to get temp sensors with the correct thread to screw straight on in the place of the original (broken) water temp sensor, for example.

so anyway i noticed another thread on here that detailed using a 150psi sensor from dakotadigital with the fusion brain. could the other sensors from them be used? ie. 30psi boost sensor, egt sensor, etc, as they look like they may be more suitable for the job, and if so, how? if not, does anyone know of any alternatives?

also, does anyone have a direct link to download the fusion software as i'd like to have a look at it and the site wont start the download for some reason, and as im only connected on gprs at the moment its kinda slow to mess around with

thanks

Just about any sensor can be used with the FB, either directly or through a resistor network.

Comment

ok nice.. so for example, what would i need to use the dakota boost pressure sensor with fb?

Comment

another thing... how does the software work out the temperature/etc from the sensor data?

for example, i use the boost pressure sensor on dakotadigital, and my boost pressure is 1bar... how would you configure the software to display whatever voltage that is as 1bar, and how can you make sure it is accurate?

obviously the same would apply for stuff like temp sensors, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by abyssdj View Post
          ok nice.. so for example, what would i need to use the dakota boost pressure sensor with fb?
          Another resistor to create a voltage divider. The Brain only reads voltages from 0 to 5 volts. Not resistance. Most of the sensors are resistive. If the sensor outputs 0 to 12v, then a simple voltage divider again (2 resistors this time) will downscale it to 0-5v.

Originally posted by abyssdj View Post
          another thing... how does the software work out the temperature/etc from the sensor data?

for example, i use the boost pressure sensor on dakotadigital, and my boost pressure is 1bar... how would you configure the software to display whatever voltage that is as 1bar, and how can you make sure it is accurate?

obviously the same would apply for stuff like temp sensors, etc.
          It works out the temperature through a formula. It parses the formula and evaluates it.

Here is a direct download link: http://www.fusioncontrolcentre.com/s...-10-07/FCC.zip
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

hi thanks for that when i've got a few spare i'll order one and have a mess around. i figured thats how it would work out what to show on screen but thought id better check.

how would you work out the formula you need? by that i mean how do you know what the temperature (or boost, etc) should be at a given output without checking it with another gauge? i assume the sensors come with info that tells you what the output would be at a certain temperature?

for want of a simple example, if the sensor is outputting 3.5v, that may mean that the temperature is 80degrees... do you know if the dakota sensors include the info that would tell you that?

Comment

If you email Dakota Digital, they'll tell you that stuff. If you need help converting sensor data to a formula, post with specifics once you've bought everything.

Comment

thanks, ill get in touch with them when I get chance.

how much would shipping be to england?

Comment

about $20, the website will calculate it for you.

Comment

ok cool thanks for that

Comment

something else i wanted to check which i only just remembered about... with the digital inputs and outputs, would it be possible to control an input using my headlight stalk?

as you may or may not be able to see from my avatar, theres more than a few spotlights on my land rover which are currently controlled by two switches, offering numerous modes of operation.

to be more detailed, they can be set to all come on with main beam, just the front spots to come on with main beam, and none to come on at all. on top of that, i can also switch the roof spots on completely independent of any other lighting for wading.

what id like to do is have the same setup but controlled from the pc, as it will save me refitting the switches (i've just rebuilt it, and have not bothered with the switches yet). so what i need to know is, is it possible for the headlight stalk to control relays via the pc, and have those relays selectable and also overridable?

sorry for all the questions.. im just working out all the gimmicky goodness i can do with all this stuff

Comment

Working...
                      X