No announcement yet.

Anybody have tachometer or speedometer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have tachometer or speedometer?

I'd like to hear from some people that have succeeded in producing a tachometer or speedometer with the FB. My searches have yielded attempts and I hope they just never bothered to post their sucesses. Looking for some confidence I'm not wasting my time on these two points.

This what I have on the bench. Not a very good video but it will give you and idea. I have both tach and speed on the same source.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_1905.flv

Comment

Your engine sounds like a conure.

Comment

Do you mean how would you build a tach/speedo mechanically or in software?
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Really the engine is a couple of cockatiels..

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            Do you mean how would you build a tach/speedo mechanically or in software?
            Neither, I'm specifically looking for individuals that have successfully used a Fusion Brain to display RPM and Speed from a running car. Lot of people talked about doing it. I'm having issues getting stable believable results. Capacitor decoupling at the FB inputs and power input made some improvements last night, getting close with the Tach. Engine cooling fans on are still throwing it off 0.15V. Speed still a mess...

Comment

Okay, I've never used a fusion brain to do this but in 1986 I got speed from my car by using an infrared LED emitter and detector to bounce light off of the speedo housing (which was U shaped) as it turned. A friend built a digital circuit to count the number of times the housing went by and we queried the circuit to get the number and made the speed calculation based on the time that went by.

Surely the FB can count the number of times something turns -perhaps from a Hall effect sensor and then do the math?
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

Okay, I've never used a fusion brain to do this but in 1986 I got speed from my car by using an infrared LED emitter and detector to bounce light off of the speedo housing (which was U shaped) as it turned. A friend built a digital circuit to count the number of times the housing went by and we queried the circuit to get the number and made the speed calculation based on the time that went by.
                even for today that is pretty ****in cool. for you to do that back then, i have a little manlove for you.

Comment

I'll only partially hijack this thread with the actual circuit as this is mildly relevant. The diagram shows at the bottom the LED emitter and detector. The rest of the circuit is the actual counting stuff.

Don't they have magnetic sensors you could put on an axle that could feed counts into the FB?
                  Attached Files
                  Want to:

Comment

Don't they have magnetic sensors you could put on an axle that could feed counts into the FB?
                    yes, on anti-lock brake cars... but most axles do come with the teeth on them, and many times a simple hole to drill in the hub allows for placement of the magnet sensor if you dont have abs.

Comment

Yes, but I'm trying to use the factory VSS. I have a frequency to voltage converter to provide 0-5V signal for the FB. I design door latches for a living. Producing the circuit above is over my head.

My speed sensor circuit works briefly, then measures at the FB 1.5-2V that won't go away until I shut everything off and start over.

Comment

I'll only partially hijack this thread with the actual circuit as this is mildly relevant. The diagram shows at the bottom the LED emitter and detector. The rest of the circuit is the actual counting stuff.

You invented factory VSS....

Seems crazy to drill holes in axles when any car with abs should have individual wheel speed sensors and even cars without have a trans vss.
                        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                        - Always Recruiting Developers -
                        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLR8N View Post
                          Yes, but I'm trying to use the factory VSS. I have a frequency to voltage converter to provide 0-5V signal for the FB. I design door latches for a living. Producing the circuit above is over my head.

My speed sensor circuit works briefly, then measures at the FB 1.5-2V that won't go away until I shut everything off and start over.
                          it actually looks pretty simple, its hard to read so im not sure if i could pull if off just by going with the pic, but it doesnt seem that bad at all...

do you have a diagram of your circuit?

Comment

No. I've purchased the Hz to V board from the FB store. The VSS is a 17 pulse per driveshaft revolution out put as an AC sine wave, factory GM '95 LT1 M6 transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLR8N View Post
                              No. I've purchased the Hz to V board from the FB store. The VSS is a 17 pulse per driveshaft revolution out put as an AC sine wave, factory GM '95 LT1 M6 transmission.
                              ok i wasnt aware there was a kit. why are your cooling fans causing weird readings? as if the voltage drop in the system throws off the sensor?

Comment

Working...
                              X