MS Paint to edit default skins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Paint to edit default skins?

I gave up trying to create my own gauges, don't know enough. Tried to change existing oil temperature static image to an oil pressure gauge background. Modified it in MS Paint and saved it back as PNG in same folder as original. When I try to switch it out in configurator it says "Invalid Image; Image is not a supported file type"

I wouldn't use paint. If you don't have access to some good paint programs you can try the Gimp. It's a free paint program that has some features similar to photoshop.
    Click for my projects
    2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

Thanks, I tried GIMP. It does have a better tool set than paint, but I'm still getting the same error. All I changed this time from the original was "C" to "PSI". XP says its a PNG, why doesn't MDX recognize it?

Comment

is it "png" or "PNG"

What sort of transparency? What colour depth? Interlaced?
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

oilpressure.png-1.0 (RGB, 1 layer) 260x170 Beyond that I'll have to look up what you are talking about.

Comment

I too had that problem. I just saved the image as a .bmp file and it worked fine. I was never able to get the software to accept a png file no matter where I created it. All of my images are .bmp.

Fred

Comment

Well as to software that creates fully compatible png images, I use Adobe Photoshop CS4. Versions CS2/CS3 work fine as well, and I am sure even earlier ones would too, but I have not tested personally.
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by FredWorrell View Post
                I too had that problem. I just saved the image as a .bmp file and it worked fine. I was never able to get the software to accept a png file no matter where I created it. All of my images are .bmp.

Fred
                Thanks, that worked. Have any drawbacks to using bmp's? Still curious why only Adobe png's accepted. Looks like its going to take me a while to figure out the software side of this.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLR8N View Post
                  Thanks, that worked. Have any drawbacks to using bmp's? Still curious why only Adobe png's accepted. Looks like its going to take me a while to figure out the software side of this.

-Rob
                  drawbacks are that you dont have any transparency

Comment

-Rob
                    I did not need transparancy with my application, so using bmp files was not a problem.

Fred

Comment

Any alternatives to a $190 Photoshop suite that anyone has had success using for transparency? Why would MDX not recognize another softwares .png?

Comment

Any alternatives to a $190 Photoshop suite that anyone has had success using for transparency? Why would MDX not recognize another softwares .png?
                        If you can send me some of these png files I might be able to find out. But I have no idea.

If you dont need transparency, then bmp is the way to go anyways as it will be faster. (larger image size, but faster overall).

Comment

Thanks for your help, I PM'd image. In that attempt all I did was paint over the "C (degrees)".

Comment

Works fine for me.

All I did was open the configurator, load the gtr example skin, go to edit graphics, double right click the oil temp static image, loaded the image you provided, saved it to mdx's directory, and ran mdx. Worked perfectly. No changes made.

Worked in the Configurator:

Worked in MDX:

Image you provided:

Comment

I can load the testmdx.png image you posted back as well. I assume you opened it with Photoshop when you renamed the file?

Comment

Working...
                              X