Face plate ideas for double din box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face plate ideas for double din box

I have my design down for my double din box. Now I need a face plate.

Here's what i've got so far:

green = parts that you don't see but take up space in the back..
    red = cuts
    black = outlines for buttons and the such

The actual look of the thing will be black with red on the back of plexi.. It should look really nice

I feel like there's more I can add to it but I can't think of anything, Anyone have Ideas?
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

A volume control would be nice. I also like the Kenwood style ATT button, which is an almost-mute, for when you need to hear what someone says or talk on the phone or whatever.

Twostep

Comment

Looks like a cool degisn. I am just wondering how you plan to do emulation, DVD, and GPS with a char LCD? Will you have a full LCD mounted elsewhere in the vehicle? Do you plan on a TV tuner?
      Just some thoughts-
      GuRu
      90% Done
      60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
      Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
      Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
      All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
      Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

Volume control!!! that's what i forgot!!

Originally posted by GuRuGoD
        Looks like a cool degisn. I am just wondering how you plan to do emulation, DVD, and GPS with a char LCD? Will you have a full LCD mounted elsewhere in the vehicle? Do you plan on a TV tuner?
        Just some thoughts-
        GuRu
        Look at my sig??
        aka Kumaneko
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

If I wasn't mounting my Xenarc in the double DIN I would ask you to make ME one of those.

Comment

How do you wanna make your faceplate ?Out of plastic , metal or .......??

I think it would be very hard without some prof. presision -tools - ( dont know how they are called in english) .
            But the faceplate looks excellent!!!!!

Another question - how do you plan to connect the buttons to computer functions ( Butto => Softw.command) ? ( I know i didnt explain myself very good but hope you understand)

If i had not such a broken car (without duble din) i would also think of something like this- . But at the end of this year it's time for me to buy a new ( used ) car . Perhaps he 'll have double din - we'll see.

go on with your good ideas !!! I found this double din PC great!!!!

regards

felix
            =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
            ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
            ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
            ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
              Volume control!!! that's what i forgot!!

Look at my sig??

Ahh, I just assumed that the double din bracket you degisned would take up all of your din slots Didnt really consider more than 2 din slots, or a custon dash, doh!
              90% Done
              60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
              Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
              Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
              All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
              Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

Originally posted by GuRuGoD
                Ahh, I just assumed that the double din bracket you degisned would take up all of your din slots Didnt really consider more than 2 din slots, or a custon dash, doh!
                I have massive quantities of dash realestate

I have a double din and a single .. with about 1" in betwee.. so realistically i could make something 3.5 dins tall! which would be 7" so I could make a 7x7 instead of 4x7

Also I plan on moving my HVAC controls..

Working on the center of the dash in a maxima is like a dream.. it's like they made it so it would be easy to comopletely change it
                aka Kumaneko

Comment

Revised

Felix: I have a neighbor who works with plexi and lexan.. I'm going to do my best to use the tools I have with the help of some of the advice i read. If I can't do it myself I'll ask him to do it.

It's amazing how much money I've spent on this project and when I have my final product the actual cost will be about 1/3 of everything I've done so far.

I guess that goes with the teritory.. every time i finish something and I have it set up nicely I decide to change it and make some new design... when I'm done with this double din unit I'll finally be done on the computer for a while.. then I'll start focusing on doing other work on my car.

I'm going to make interior so I can change it.. It's going to have two "modes" street mode: everything looks stock, no eye candy so hopefully I don't get ripped off; and stylin mode: everything is shiny and sparkly and really nice... This will be for shows, meets, and cruisin on the weekend.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to get radio happening though
                  aka Kumaneko

Comment

I still need to figure out how I'm going to get radio happening though [/B]
                    Have you looked into the D-Link USB radio? It works great for me, from my custom C++ app. If someone needs me to, I can wrap up a simple radio interface in all the various COM stuff so they can control the radio from VB.

Twostep

Comment

But it doesn't have AM radio.. and AM is the radio I want
                      aka Kumaneko

Comment

Long live NPR!

Comment

But it doesn't have AM radio.. and AM is the radio I want

The Cadet is your only affordable option.
                          Don't Click

Comment

I think it has been mentioned before, but you could take a factory radio and replae the guts. My GM radio is very much liek the pic you have except, the display is smaller and to the right and the six buttons you have on the left are in the center with volume and tune on the left where your buttons are. I thought about etching a front PCD with small buttons placed like the factory, use a slot load cd-rom drive, and then a small dot matrix VFD where the factory display was.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
                              The Cadet is your only affordable option.
                              No ISA slot.. And It would probably be an EXTREMELY tight squeeze if it even fit at all unless i soldered it up to the pins or something..

I could spend 100+ on an ISA->usb adapter.. but at that point i may as well try to get a pcr100
                              aka Kumaneko

Comment

Working...
                              X