Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, another diagram thread :D

Hey guys,

This is what i have planned out as of today. What do you guys think?

questions i have:

1) What am i missing? I think ive stared at this thing for a good half hour trying to find a mistake but as im new to this and my knowledge is limited, i might have missed something crucial.

2) Should i ground? and where do you suggest?

3) Can an RCA cable be used to get audio from my computer to the amp? I guess the better question would be if its recommended? Now i sort of don't and do care about audio. Im fine with the quality being mediocre but dont want to spend a lot to get it perfect and dont want it horrible.

4) What gauge of wire do you recommend for power?

5) What gauge of wire do you recommend for the speaker wire?

6) Any tips or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Files
    '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:
    Design:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 100%
    Fabrication:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]100%
    Installation:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 80%

In trouble...

Quick notes:

Touchscreen should go into a root hub (meaning direct connection to motherboard).

Since that amp is powering your speakers, then you might want to connect the remote lead from your dc-dc psu to the amp remote turn on because that will get rid of the thump as windows loads your drivers.

And nothing will work without a ground. You need a complete circuit, and right now you don't. So nothing will work. Ground both the screen, amp, and computer.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      Quick notes:

Touchscreen should go into a root hub (meaning direct connection to motherboard).

Since that amp is powering your speakers, then you might want to connect the remote lead from your dc-dc psu to the amp remote turn on because that will get rid of the thump as windows loads your drivers.

And nothing will work without a ground. You need a complete circuit, and right now you don't. So nothing will work. Ground both the screen, amp, and computer.
      thanks for the quick response. Do i ground the cables powering the specific units (Screen, computer, amp)? Or do they have an outlet to ground them?
      '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by stangg172006 View Post
        thanks for the quick response. Do i ground the cables powering the specific units (Screen, computer, amp)? Or do they have an outlet to ground them?
        I don't get what you are asking...

Basically there will be a minimum of 2 openings for power on the units. One for +12v and one for ground.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I don't get what you are asking...

Basically there will be a minimum of 2 openings for power on the units. One for +12v and one for ground.
          answered my question thanks
          '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Your stock audio harness will need to run from the audio source (i.e computer) to the audio amplifier. Unless there is audio out on the screen or your headunit (HU) or radio is still involved.

Put a ground on the minus post of your battery in your diagram. In reality, there is one there now.

VGA video connection from computer to screen?

Is that a passive USB hub or an active one that needs power? You may be pushing the USB power limits with that GPS unit if you are planning to run a hub without power.

Road_Dog

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Dog View Post
              Your stock audio harness will need to run from the audio source (i.e computer) to the audio amplifier. Unless there is audio out on the screen.

He has a cable going from the computer to the amp, and from the amp to the speakers. He is tapping the speaker connectors from the stock harness as pretty much everyone else is.

Comment

He has a cable going from the computer to the amp, and from the amp to the speakers. He is tapping the speaker connectors from the stock harness as pretty much everyone else is.
                I see that finally. Man I am getting color blind. Maybe adding speakers to his diagram would help.

Road_Dog

Comment

1) Put a ground on the minus post of your battery in your diagram. In reality, there is one there now.

2) VGA video connection from computer to screen?

3) Is that a passive USB hub or an active one that needs power? You may be pushing the USB power limits with that GPS unit if you are planning to run a hub without power.

Road_Dog
                  1) done

2) how else can i get video from my computer to the monitor?

3) Its a passive one, and my thinking is that the only thing that will be running all the time will be the GPS. The keyboard and bluetooth will be used scarcely, mostly during initial set up and for maintenance. When they are not in use, i will unplug them so that all of the power will go to the GPS...
                  '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by stangg172006 View Post
                    1) done

2) how else can i get video from my computer to the monitor?

3) Its a passive one, and my thinking is that the only thing that will be running all the time will be the GPS. The keyboard and bluetooth will be used scarcely, mostly during initial set up and for maintenance. When they are not in use, i will unplug them so that all of the power will go to the GPS...
                    GPS isn't that power hungry. It should be fine on the hub. The hub has 500mA to dish out as it deems neccessary (or rather as XP sees fit), and the GPS receiver maybe 200-300mA. The USB devices like keyboards and such are minimal, and XP will turn them off for you if you don't touch them. That is why there is that little lag returning (almost instant, just a jitter) when you leave your usb devices alone for a while with XP's power saving features enabled.

Comment

GPS isn't that power hungry. It should be fine on the hub. The hub has 500mA to dish out as it deems neccessary (or rather as XP sees fit), and the GPS receiver maybe 200-300mA. The USB devices like keyboards and such are minimal, and XP will turn them off for you if you don't touch them. That is why there is that little lag returning (almost instant, just a jitter) when you leave your usb devices alone for a while with XP's power saving features enabled.
                      2k1 you rule!
                      '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

My Gps unit is a pig around 400 mA, so best is to try and see if everything will play fair.

VGA cable is the route to go. I have pushed lengths to 75 feet with good cable. I haven't tried the flat cables that may slip under the car carpet if there is some distince to cover. I.E. trink to front dash.

Have you dived into the powering of your computer? I cheated and used a tablet so far, but want to move to a more of a computer. It is hard to place and limited in CPU power, but easy to take with you.

Road_Dog

Comment

My Gps unit is a pig around 400 mA, so best is to try and see if everything will play fair.

VGA cable is the route to go. I have pushed lengths to 75 feet with good cable. I haven't tried the flat cables that may slip under the car carpet if there is some distince to cover. I.E. trink to front dash.

Have you dived into the powering of your computer? I cheated and used a tablet so far, but want to move to a more of a computer. It is hard to place and limited in CPU power, but easy to take with you.

Road_Dog

400mA?!?!?!?! My god, what are you powering?

I didn't even know about the flat cables. Are they much more than the standard round ones?

Comment

400mA?!?!?!?! My god, what are you powering?

I didn't even know about the flat cables. Are they much more than the standard round ones?
                            a six foot is like 30 bucks
                            '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

might wanna go svga cabe, just for the better sheilding and thicker copper that they use, less loss and better picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X