New Project Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project Suggestions

Hey guys, I've been slacking on my carpc setup for a while now because of all the other projects I had going on. I have a lilliput monitor already, but now I'm trying to figure out what other hardware I should buy. I currently have a pioneer head unit/pioneer XM receiver installed. Still not sure whether or not I want to get rid of this. Any suggestions either way?

Some things I would like to do are:
    two video sources (back seat movie, touchscreen nav)
    XM radio
    vehicle diagnostics
    FM radio (even though I don't use it much)

I plan to use streetdeck with mappoint 2007. I also remember seeing a list of what the diagnostic hardware software could do with different vehicles. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a 2004 GMC duramax 2500HD that this will going in. Thanks!

TravisT

Originally posted by TravisT View Post
    I currently have a pioneer head unit/pioneer XM receiver installed. Still not sure whether or not I want to get rid of this. Any suggestions either way?
    Do you listen to the radio at all? If you do, then keep the headunit.
    If you keep the headunit, you also have your XM already working.

Now, if you keep the headunit and XM, you may have an issue in that the headunit doesn't have the ability to have two AUX devices plugged in. That's pretty common.

Some things I would like to do are:
    two video sources (back seat movie, touchscreen nav)
    XM radio
    vehicle diagnostics
    FM radio (even though I don't use it much)
    Two video screens. Two video sources would be like a DVD player and a video game console. The screens aren't sources.

I plan to use streetdeck with mappoint 2007.
    Try MapPoint2006. MapPoint2007 doesn't work, AFAIK.
    When you purchase StreetDeck, you get the proper map data, anyway.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I'm not opposed to keeping the head unit, but it will require an extra control (volume, source, etc). It does have an extra aux source that I could use. I may still consider using the pc for all functions. I really don't listen to the radio much (since I have XM), and I guess it would be a feature that I could live without. Another plus of keeping the head unit.

I meant having the capability to watch two video sources (ie, Nav on front screen, and DVD playing on rear screens) simultaneously. Not sure what is required for this (dual video cards or just video splitter). The rear screens would be added on at a later date, but I want the capability. Also, how would audio work in this case? Could I have rear audio playing movie and front audio playing XM/NAV/MP3?

I looked at what I have, and it is MapPoint '06, not '07. I have had it work with the trial of streetdeck already, just wasn't sure of the version. That's squared away. I noticed that you can buy streetdeck without mappoint, which is great news. I won't have to spend that money twice now.

Basically what I need help with is motherboard/power supply recommendations. I know there is a lot of personal preference involved, but I really don't know what hardware is going to be required to accomplish my goals (ie how many pci slots, usb slots, etc). Are sata hard drives out of the question? I am almost tempted to risk one crashing for the difference in price of "ruggedized" HD's.

Comment

Anyone???

Comment

Working...
        X