laptop to respond to cable unplugged.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop to respond to cable unplugged.

I use the power management feature in my laptop to shut down the system when running on batteries. So basically if I turn of the car it can sense that and shut down. My trouble is I'm looking for a quicker response then waiting a minute (fastest response windows has to offer). The approach I'm using is the when running on batteries for a minute hibernate. The idle scenario would be when the cable is unplugged then hibernate but I don't have that option. Does any one know of a way to set the response to 15 or less seconds?

I also tried to set the battery alarm to 99%. I tested this... I turned off the car. then waited a few minutes then back on. The system battery was at 90%, it never did the correct response. Anyone use that method?

dell 8000 insp.
    win 2k3
    UMPC built in to dash.

Winamp, game emulators, Touchpad built in to car, DVD player built in to dash, GPS gamrmin moble pc. IR remote for use of a remote control. ps2 supper mini keyboard for when needed.

It would be easy to do to create a program in VB, for example. Try googling for some more advanced power management apps.

Comment

I of course tried many search attempts and found nothing. Also was informed by a few tech forums even if I did find such an app it would not be "healthy" nor reliable as the Microsoft PM. Although I appreciate the answer.
      UMPC built in to dash.

Winamp, game emulators, Touchpad built in to car, DVD player built in to dash, GPS gamrmin moble pc. IR remote for use of a remote control. ps2 supper mini keyboard for when needed.

Comment

Humm, interesting, what where their reasons for saying it would be "unhealthy"?

Comment

Never really asked..

here is one response..

I'm pretty sure that a 3rd party shutdown wouldn't do everything properly like the XP shutdown would, but I could be wrong.

I mean it would be possible, just not healthy.

I may attempt this. My bro writes VB, I cant stand the crap. I write C++ but its not as easy to communicate with the os, as it is in VB. So I may do that if all else fails. May even try a winamp plugin.
          UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

You can use Windows API calls to both detect power changes, and to initiate hibernation. Should be pretty much the same in C as in VB.

Should be pretty reliable too.

Comment

Well hey thx man, I may just do that.
              UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

No Probs

If you can't find the right calls give me a shout and I'll try and dig them up.

Comment

Will do...

I just noticed something really brilliant by Microsoft...

If you set the alarm for the battery at say 80%. and you batter goes down and skips the 80%mark it wont respond. Or better yet. If the battery is at 68%, and you set the alarm for 80% it is ignored. Why use == in stead of < ?? brilliant I tell you brilliant!!
                  UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

Wow I'm shocked no-one mentioned this..

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/soft...-software.html

Or at least called me out on not searching. Shame on me..

The app is perfect.
                    UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

Why not do it in hardware? It essentially 'hits' the power button to put it in hibernation when car goes off and back on when you turn the key. That way you don't need to stop the media seperately or leave it running while it waits to time out:

http://www.w3bma5t3r.com/LaptopModule/order.html

Comment

I like it thx..
                        UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

I may be misunderstanding the H/W controller. I was thinking it would handle shutdown if the USB was not plugged in, but I don't think it's designed for that. I have one on order.

But combined with the shutdown software you should (and I hope to) have fully automated startup/shutdown with the ignition.

Comment

Actually its an over kill for me. I don't want my system coming on when the accessories ac is on. Only when the engine is turned over. So I'm wiring up a relay to do just that.. Much simpler if you ask me. Just need to find a wire that has +5 , 12 or whatever when the engine is turned over.
                            UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

There are lots of those in the car (wires that are cold until the ignition is on). Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I personally have a remote wire terminal block in my trunk that I pull from my head unit's remote out wire. At first I just ran that remote wire back to the trunk and split everything off of it, but as I added a CarPC and a power inverter and a bigger amplifier and so forth, I didn't want to overload that little .5 Amp remote wire so I wired in a relay.

I have a 12V power wire split off my 4G amp power wire that goes to a 12V relay. That relay is triggered by the head unit remote wire and everything that needs a remote trigger signal gets it from that terminal block.

This way the remote wire only flips the relay and no amperage actually goes through it.

On another note...

As for an earlier comment about 3rd party shutdowns not being 'healthy', I don't want to be insulting, but that's the biggest load of bull I've heard in a while. Let me explain why.

Most 'shutdown software' uses the actual microsoft shutdown command just like you clicked 'shut down'. They don't initiate their own version of unloading DLLs or closing programs or some crap like that, they just hit your power button like you would and windows does what it does. So while a 3rd party app might be causing the action instead of your finger, the actual process that gets run is their own code. Hell, it's the same thing that happens when you install any new program and it asks "restart now or later". This is standard stuff.

In fact, you can shutdown or restart your own computer from the command line simply by typing "shutdown -r" (similar to a linux box "shutdown -r now". It's built into the OS and any programmer can simply execute this command. Of course that's for WinXP (and maybe others).

I'm sorry if I come off harsh here, but I get tired of people who have this stance of "If XYZ company didn't make it then it might work but *I* certainly wouldn't use it" I've got my own brand affinity for certain things like the next guy, but on this point specifically this kind of comment is just fan-boy ignorance.

Comment

Working...
                              X