Cooling Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Issues

Ok, So I've been doing an in car computer. Couldn't get it to work, so I took everything out, set it up inside and it worked perfect. Thought maybe my 160 watt power supply wasn't powerful enough. so I got a power inverter and ran the regular 350 watt power supply. worked for about 3 min, then same issues. Only thing I can think of is... maybe its just getting to hot. Its about 100 degrees outside today.

This long story brings me to my question... How can I cool my computer well enough to work in this situation?? are there better fans or something. I'm just using the standard everyday fan that came with the processor 3 years ago.

It may be too hot to start, but once it gets going the processor fan should be enough to keep the chip cool.

I'd look more into having the whole system cooler to start with. That's a lot more difficult than keeping the processor cool once it's on.
    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

Comment

Its strange. we just had a big storm, its like 75 degrees outside now. I turned on the computer, and I saw the bios on the screen, then the windows logo as it booted, then about when the windows desktop is supposed to show... the screen went black, then I got a couple flashes, then the screen shut off.

-Joel-

Comment

list your hardware.

Comment

I got an AMD Semptron 1.5ghz processor. 512mb ram, GeForce FX 5200 video card, Xenarc Monitor...

I tried booting into safe mode. it will boot up no problem into safe mode. I tried changing the res in safemode thinking it wasn't compatible with the monitor. still nothing. but it will boot into safe mode.

Comment

This really doesnt sound like a heat issue, sounds more like something is set wrong....
            Carputer Progress
            [||||||||||] 100%
            Finally Installed!!
            Everything is in the car and working.
            I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
            Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
            View My Progress Here

Comment

yeah. its strange. I finally got it to boot, works great for a while. like 3 min or so, then it freezes up. I thought about reinstalling XP, but I don't know that you can do that using a USB CD-rom Drive.

Comment

Maybe it's a power issue, like not everything turns on when booted in safe mode. Your Sempron pulls about 62W at full tilt, which is pretty high (though it doesn't explain why it wouldn't boot with your inverter).

You also might want to do a hard drive diagnostic to see if something's wrong there (random freezes and crashes can be caused by a failing hard drive). Turn on SMART and get something that reads the diagnostics, see what it says.

That's all I can think of.

Comment

I have another idea, its stupid, but still an idea...

If you have anything plugged in via USB, un-plug it all. Then try to boot.... And go from there. I have heard about people not being able to boot because of BT Dongles and USB Keyboards....
                  Carputer Progress
                  [||||||||||] 100%
                  Finally Installed!!
                  Everything is in the car and working.
                  I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
                  Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
                  View My Progress Here

Comment

I think I got it. I guess my USB distance is too far. If I plug everything in using short cables it works perfect. too bad, I wanted the CD rom drive in the front of the car. Oh well...

Comment

Use a powered hub. Run a length of wire from the carpc in back to the cd drive in front (for power regulation). I use the same wire to power my Xenarc.

Comment

So, if I had the usb hub in the back it may work? because I had a 10ft cable, then the hub, then the cd-rom into the hub, and it still wouldn't work. and it is a powered hub.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnston View Post
                          So, if I had the usb hub in the back it may work? because I had a 10ft cable, then the hub, then the cd-rom into the hub, and it still wouldn't work. and it is a powered hub.
                          Could be a low quality cable, or voltage drop on the powered hub. How are you powering the hub Have you tried another brand of USB extension cable? What are you using to power the entire computer in the car? Perhaps you are overloading the 5v rail of your PS witht he voltage drop on the USB cable?

Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I got a 160w power supply, its built for in car use. I've tested with a normal 350w power supply and have the same issues.

-Joel-

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnston View Post
                              I got a 160w power supply, its built for in car use. I've tested with a normal 350w power supply and have the same issues.

-Joel-
                              Please read my WHOLE post. Provide the information requested, or else no one can help. It's like calling a mechanic, and saying, my car is not working, I looked and there is enough gas, now what?

Michael
                              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X