Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

headlight wiring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • headlight wiring?

    Ok I have an issue, hope someone can help. I have just purchesed HID Projectors, for a custom install. It has a shutter inside to work as a high beam or cut off. So I need to know if some one can design a circuit. One that will keep the HID bulb on when I turn on my high beams, but also work the shutters during high beam use. So it would be something like this HID bulb on with low beam, shutter off, HID bulb on with high beam, shutter on.
    I was looking into designing a circuit but could not come up with any ideas. Any help would be great

    Thank you for your help
    Corey
    1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
    1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

  • #2
    how does the shutter work?

    Is it a digital pulse signal (servo) or just a "if wire is high, then be open, else be shut"?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

    Comment


    • #3
      When ever 12v power and ground are applied it activates the shutter. other wise its shut with no power

      Corey
      1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
      1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

      Comment


      • #4
        sounds like you can do this with a couple of relays... if you explain how you want it to work, i'll see what I can do.

        ex: HID on, High Beams on, Shutter activated
        HID on, High Beams off, Shutter deactivated

        Comment


        • #5
          zx2fast, have you looked for some other forums on this? Not that the guys here who take highly complex computer systems and install them in harsh mobile enviroments dont know what there talking about... but just like this place is the authority on installing pc's in your car, there are places that cater to your need of headlight modification. Especially HID's. Try hidplanet.com. Great forum with lots of help. The main problem with your question is that you are trying to utilize your stock headlight wires to run your hids. Hids dont operate like normal headlights and pull alot more power. You should upgrade your wiring and install relays to control your new power hungry set up. Without a schematic (sp?) of your headlights, I dont want to guess how to wire it. I do suggest however that since you are using bi-xenon projectors, that you remove you old halogen high beam bulbs and forget all about them. They are like holding a candle in front of a flash light to get more light to see with...
          Car Pc progress meter:
          [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

          "The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
          My worklog

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by redls1bird View Post
            zx2fast, have you looked for some other forums on this? Not that the guys here who take highly complex computer systems and install them in harsh mobile enviroments dont know what there talking about... but just like this place is the authority on installing pc's in your car, there are places that cater to your need of headlight modification. Especially HID's. Try hidplanet.com. Great forum with lots of help. The main problem with your question is that you are trying to utilize your stock headlight wires to run your hids. Hids dont operate like normal headlights and pull alot more power. You should upgrade your wiring and install relays to control your new power hungry set up. Without a schematic (sp?) of your headlights, I dont want to guess how to wire it. I do suggest however that since you are using bi-xenon projectors, that you remove you old halogen high beam bulbs and forget all about them. They are like holding a candle in front of a flash light to get more light to see with...
            I understand where your coming from, I just didn't know where else to look so I took a shot here, and yes I am gettting rid of my halogens, that was the plan. And I was also going to upgrade the wiring to handle the power usage. I'll check out hidplanet. Thanks for the help
            1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
            1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cutrara View Post
              sounds like you can do this with a couple of relays... if you explain how you want it to work, i'll see what I can do.

              ex: HID on, High Beams on, Shutter activated
              HID on, High Beams off, Shutter deactivated

              Thats exactly how I need it to work, but with out the stock halegon lighting, just HIDs.

              Thanks
              Corey
              1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
              1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ZX2fst View Post
                Thats exactly how I need it to work, but with out the stock halegon lighting, just HIDs.

                Thanks
                Corey


                So what is the question. Remove the Halogans, install HIDs. Done.

                Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Definitely look through the university at hidplanet. But for the simple answer use a diode across the low beam and high beam trigger wires, with the line facing the low beam side.
                  98' Honda CR-V
                  http://www.superbluecrv.com

                  *OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                    So what is the question. Remove the Halogans, install HIDs. Done.

                    Michael
                    I'm removing the halogans, custom installing Bi-Xenon HID projectors, the ones that have a shutter inside the projector housing. and then figuring out a way to wire them up
                    1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
                    1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ZX2fst View Post
                      I'm removing the halogans, custom installing Bi-Xenon HID projectors, the ones that have a shutter inside the projector housing. and then figuring out a way to wire them up
                      That doesn't tell me/anyone anything. Are your halogens single bulb, or 2 bulbs. Is the wiring a reverse polarity system, do the low beams cut off when the high beams are activated? You need to check the wiring on your car, figure out which wires go to the headlights and high beams, what there polarity is and when. THEN someone can help you with the wiring diagram.

                      Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ok I think I have it just to double check, I have a positive polarity system, 9007 halogan bulbs, which have both high and low beams. Low beams cut off when high beams are active.

                        and here is the diagram. Does this seem right?




                        Thanks
                        Corey
                        1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
                        1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ZX2fst View Post
                          ok I think I have it just to double check, I have a positive polarity system, 9007 halogan bulbs, which have both high and low beams. Low beams cut off when high beams are active.

                          and here is the diagram. Does this seem right?




                          Thanks
                          Corey
                          Looks right to me.

                          Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks for the help I appriciate it. And one more thing, the current is flowing which way accross the diode in the pic? I always get it backwards.

                            Thanks
                            Corey
                            1999 Ford Escort ZX2: T3/T4 @ 15 psi
                            1998 Ford Ranger 4x4: Ext. Cab

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ZX2fst View Post
                              Thanks for the help I appriciate it. And one more thing, the current is flowing which way accross the diode in the pic? I always get it backwards.

                              Thanks
                              Corey
                              Think of the line as the stop sign facing towards the short end.

                              Michael
                              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X