Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed at buying (read the wrong power consumption)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed at buying (read the wrong power consumption)

Bought a sempron mobile 3000+ combo the other day for $85 ($15 mail in rebate).

Using Everest, I was glancing around at the hardware detection, and I saw it say 67w max.

So I googled around a bit, and saw that the AMD Sempron Mobile 3000+ is a 65w processor, and I swore I read it was a 31w.

Disappointing...

So get some more juice! M2-ATX should be plenty.
    Greedy
    -Adj.
    Anybody who makes significantly more money than you do.

The Hoe-Puter Worklog

Progress (Phase one):

Planning:
    [----------] 97.3%
    Parts Aquisition:
    [----------] 95%
    Install:
    [----------] 95%

Comment

Not worried about going over since I plan on snagging a dsatx.

My issue with it, is that if I was going to use a 65ish watt processor, I could have gotten a stronger processor combo for near the same price.

Comment

Ahhhh. That is a bummer. My Sempron was a freebie. I had to get a new MOBO for it, ($48 shipped). But I got the processor and a gig of ram for free. My wife's parents were just throwing them away! I don't see me needing anything more powerfull any time soon... Might add some RAM. But I wouldn't fret too much. The Sempron 3000+ is MORE than enough to run all your carputing needs. Especially if you do a TinyXP install, and then replace the XP Kernel with your front end.

Of course... If you decide you absolutely hate this combo, don't throw it away. I'll be happy to take it off your hands. The Civic needs a carputer next.
        Greedy
        -Adj.

The Hoe-Puter Worklog

Progress (Phase one):

Planning:
        [----------] 97.3%
        Parts Aquisition:
        [----------] 95%
        Install:
        [----------] 95%

Comment

3000+ for $85? I thought they were down to the high $20's or low $30's nowadays...

Funny how just a few years ago we paid $350 alone for the Pentium 500Mhz on a new computer as an upgrade! The 550Mhz was just too expensive.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

He got the Motherboard AND processor for $85. Sure there are better deals out there on used units. But he didn't overpay by any means. Nevertheless, if his purchase was based on sacrificing speed for lower power consumption, I can understand the buzz kill factor such a purchase might carry. Either way, he should be able to get his $85 back out of it on Ebay, and be able to upgrade to whatever else it was he had in mind, should he choose to go that route.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the hastle. The Sempron 3000+ should do everything he needs it to.
            Greedy
            -Adj.

The Hoe-Puter Worklog

Progress (Phase one):

Planning:
            [----------] 97.3%
            Parts Aquisition:
            [----------] 95%
            Install:
            [----------] 95%

Comment

I tested the performance out today, and I'm considering the "hassle" factor now, and just keeping it.

I tested out Centerfuse doing DVD, I loaded a music video in a separate media player, I loaded internet explorer with three tabs, each playing a youtube video, and I didn't get any studdering from the DVD or music video (didn't bother listening to the youtube vids, had those on mute).

The performance seems to be more than enough as you mentioned, guess it would depend on iguidance+music video (which is what will be consuming the most usage at any given time). I'll see if I can test that without a GPS attached.

I saw this on clearance/sale for $44.99 at Microcenter (had to of been a price mistake). So now I'm tempted to pay $80-100 for a used 1.83ghz Core Duo (T2400).

Choices choices, hassle hassle. I hate to return the Aopen mobo since it was such a steal.

Comment

Working...
              X