Phreaknic Presenter (Carputers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phreaknic Presenter (Carputers)

Wow, I havent posted on here in a while considering I sold my Celica a few months ago. Any way Ill be giving a presentation at Phreaknic this year on carputers. What better place to come and ask a few questions on the subject than here. I just want to list some of the topics I will be covering in the 1 hour long presentation and I would also like to know what you like/dont like. Not to mention what YOU GUYS/GIRLS would like to hear at some thing like this. With your suggestions I think I can put together a solid and hopefully interesting presentation. Right now I plan on talking about:

Form Factors
    Laptops VS PC's
    Interacting with your Car
    Screens
    Front ends
    Mounting concerns, fiberglass, mounts, etc
    Audio
    Cooling Issues
    Solid State Storage (Yup that wonderful flash technology, oh so small and oh so little power to run)

I made a long list that I actually left in my car but thats what I can remember this far.(Ill add more after I get the list) I would really appreciate it if every one gave a little feedback to help me make this as good as possible. I know if you want to hear about it/like it then so will other enthusiasts.

I think the number 1 concern is usually power.
    Might want to add wifi & cellular connectivity to your list also.
    Carputer Project Status:
    0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
    Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Perhaps: HU or no HU?

And then for Laptops vs. PC's perhaps some of that can be general about mobile chips vs. desktop chips.

With solid state storage, perhaps mention the hybrid drives as a transition or something.

For interacting with your car, perhaps integration as well. Temperature, to lights, to OBD-II.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSunCeliGT View Post
        Wow, I havent posted on here in a while considering I sold my Celica a few months ago. Any way Ill be giving a presentation at Phreaknic this year on carputers. What better place to come and ask a few questions on the subject than here. I just want to list some of the topics I will be covering in the 1 hour long presentation and I would also like to know what you like/dont like. Not to mention what YOU GUYS/GIRLS would like to hear at some thing like this. With your suggestions I think I can put together a solid and hopefully interesting presentation. Right now I plan on talking about:

Form Factors
        Laptops VS PC's
        Interacting with your Car
        Screens
        Front ends
        Mounting concerns, fiberglass, mounts, etc
        Audio
        Cooling Issues
        Solid State Storage (Yup that wonderful flash technology, oh so small and oh so little power to run)

I made a long list that I actually left in my car but thats what I can remember this far.(Ill add more after I get the list) I would really appreciate it if every one gave a little feedback to help me make this as good as possible. I know if you want to hear about it/like it then so will other enthusiasts.
        I missed last year, but in th two years prior I realized these guys got a short attention span for briefings! (Great I forget name, but) the Delorean guy took everyone outside for show and tell and that always went over well. Hopefully, I'll bring my Mustang with its tablet install. (See "my photos")

My suggestion... explain the generalized setup, hardware/software (Solid State Storage, frontends, utilities, addons) and then outside in the parking lot go over Form Factors, Laptops VS PC's, Interacting with your Car, Screens, Mounting concerns, Audio, Cooling Issues. And leave at least 10 min for Q&A.
        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Well I am actually working on my setup in my new car right now which is a 2003 Eclipse and I wanted to bring it down there but Im driving and I doubt thats going to be a possibility. I have 3 people going with me and one weighs around 350lbs so I doubt hes going to fit in my eclipse lol. Instead I just figured I would hold off on installing all of my equipment and take it with me and set it up on a table and let every one take a look at the true inner workings. I cant believe I forgot to mention power needs.... That is one of my main topics though, I was thinking inverters as oppsed to DC to DC PSU controllers. (Like the ones sold here that allow you to hook them into the ignition) However, I might just tough it out sqeeze my large friend in the front and deal with it haha we will see how it goes.

None the less I really appreciate all the feed back this far, keep it coming. I really want to make this as enjoyable as possible, I enjoy presenting and I want people to take a lot away from this.

More or less what I took away from what you said though is: Spend 20 minutes inside talking about carputers in general, another 20 out side showing off my install and explaining how it all works and 10 minutes from Q&A. (Presentation needs to be 40-50minutes)

Comment

None the less I really appreciate all the feed back this far, keep it coming. I really want to make this as enjoyable as possible, I enjoy presenting and I want people to take a lot away from this.

More or less what I took away from what you said though is: Spend 20 minutes inside talking about carputers in general, another 20 out side showing off my install and explaining how it all works and 10 minutes from Q&A. (Presentation needs to be 40-50minutes)
            Just looked at the agenda, did you cancel your presentation? I changed my mind about th Mustang, I'll be bringing my Caddy ESC-V with the newer computer. Should get there around 9AM Saturday. See ya there hopefully.
            HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Yeah, sadly I had to cancle. My *** hole friends all bailed on me. Im a college student and I go full time and pay for every thing my self so I run on a tight budget. I needed my 3 friends to go with me to split the cost of the hotel room. So I couldnt afford it. Then I bought a full CarPC setup and a new car to put it all in 2003 Eclipse GS but they couldnt get me finaced and I had to take the car back. Then I paid cash for a 96 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD and the engine blew while I was driving it home. So just about every possible thing that could go wrong has. I had to use the money I was saving up to go to Nashville to buy a new engine for my car. It sucks but thats just my luck haha.

Comment

Yeah, sadly I had to cancle. My *** hole friends all bailed on me. Im a college student and I go full time and pay for every thing my self so I run on a tight budget. I needed my 3 friends to go with me to split the cost of the hotel room. So I couldnt afford it. Then I bought a full CarPC setup and a new car to put it all in 2003 Eclipse GS but they couldnt get me finaced and I had to take the car back. Then I paid cash for a 96 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD and the engine blew while I was driving it home. So just about every possible thing that could go wrong has. I had to use the money I was saving up to go to Nashville to buy a new engine for my car. It sucks but thats just my luck haha.
                Damn that's rough. Anything I can do to help?

Comment

Working...
                X