No announcement yet.

Digital audio out quality help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital audio out quality help

How do I get the absolute most pure 2 channel digital audio out of my PC?
    I am using an external D/A converter that will accept either coax or optical in and will give me a balanced signal that I can run to my balanced volume control.
    I am concerned about my OS (98lite) volume control as well as other software degrading the quality of the signal.
    So far the hardware I have is a Jetway 7f2we1g5d-oc-pb mother board
    Soundblaster live USB and a Panasonic UJ-85J-B Slim Slot load cd rom.
    Will this cd rom hinder performance?
    Are there issues with getting digital audio from a USB device?
    Keep in mind that I am looking for the absolute best no compromise performance

Any help here would be great. I know that someone here has some answers.

Search for ASIO and ASIO4all. As for volume control, unless you don't mind losing bits of resolution, you need to use a volume control after the DAC.

x2, people who use Winamp for ASIO use its volume control and are happy with the results, so you can try it out and see also.

Thank you very much

Thank you very much that was the type of info that I was looking for. I have decided to use an analog volume control after the D/A. My next concern that I am having trouble finding information about is the physical path between my cd rom and the D/A. Will using a USB adapter to connect my cd rom to the IDE port allow for bit perfect transmition?

have a look here:

There are a number of threads on here as well about this.

What you're wanting is commonly referred to as 'bit-perfect'.

WinAmp and ASIO is a way to achieve this as well.

I would be less concerned with yoru CD rom hindering sound and more concerned about your sound card hindering sound.

You will need a sound card that is capable of NOT resampling the audio stream.

I don't believe the Sound Blaster Live products are capable of this, however the Audigy cards are (through a tick box on a tab which says 'enable bit-accurate playback').
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Wow! thanks guys for all of the help! I did not expect this quality of info. I think I just found my new favorite place on the web.