Anyone hack an Eclipse AVN7000??!??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hack an Eclipse AVN7000??!??

Hello Fellas! It's been a while, but I have returned to the best source of info on car electronics to beg for more information!!

I bought a new car (I still have my Eclipse with the carputer in it), but I didn't have the time to get into making/installing a carputer in my new car. I felt really left out not having all my MP3's and a Nav system in the new car, so I bought an Eclipse AVN7000 and had it installed. On paper it looked like a great carputer substitute.

In reality, the Eclipse AVN7000 is mediocre at best. The interface is clunky, the nav system is out of date (and there are no updates available - it's proprietary). On the upside, it sounds good, and has a nifty motorized single-DIN 7" screen. (The screen is low res compared to SVGA though. )

Anyway: I am wondering if any of the wizards around this forum have ever hacked an Eclipse AVN7000 head unit? I mean it's got a 20Gb hard drive in it, so you KNOW it's running some small footprint linux or something like that. There's got to be a way to get into that OS and make some changes - or better yet: install a new OS and run the software that I want to run!!

If anyone has any good info on this unit, please let me know. Eclipse's (Fujitsu) website has almost no info on it - just the usual marketing crap. The manual is written for your average 3rd grader - no, i take that back, most third graders are more tech savy than whoever they wrote that manual for.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

you will be limited by chipsets and crap like that.

just get a intel mini ITX. it's less than 80 bucks and with just 512 of ram it will do anything you want a car pc to do with no problem.

Comment

Thanks Norton. But you missed my point. I don't want to waste the money I spent on the Eclipse. I wanna get the most out of it. I know it has potential.
      So far:
      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

oh, sorry man.

I just don't know anything about that thing. Good luck.

Comment

sorry i looked into what i could online about that HU and i really can't find any way for you to get at the hard drive----usb or data port--the only thing that the HU supports is Memory Stick Duo, and according to what eclipses website says, the HU only reads ATRAC 3 files off that. so it appears that the only way for you to change the HU OS is to go through the memory stick card slot?---maybe by modifying a usb cable and a very cheap memory card (my only idea and i really don't think that it will work)

and even if you do get into the OS and flash it with something a little better, there is no guarantee that the onboard memory or processor will be able to run the new OS. i read somewhere once that one of the pioneer navi units had 32 mb of memory for map data--that was one of the older units that did not have a hdd(you would load the map disc and then it would save the route on the memory, take the disc out and insert a cd)

maybe somebody else has succeded in doing this to a different brand but has the same specs? a few other manufacturers also make a unit with a hdd

Comment

try to find more info on the hardware. Is it running on a regular 2.5 drive? If so you can try to build a xpe image for the hardware in your eclipse. I have no idea if that is even an x86 machine. If it is then you should be able to get embedded running on it.

Comment

Thats alot of $$$$ to try to hack up.
              Aron
              New Ipad
              Zapco DSP-6SL
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
              Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

why even attempt hacking it? even if you were able to it is unlikely that you could simply install a new OS onto it. plus the system would still be limited by the low res monitor.

why don't you just sell the thing on eBay and spend the money on a REAL carputer instead?
                F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Working...
                X