Handling Dead BIOS Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Dead BIOS Battery

Now that winter is getting closer in the north part of the US of A and the nights get pretty cold, my Epia M1000's CR2032 BIOS battery backup battery voltage drops low enough to reset the BIOS every evening. This sucks, because I have to carry a keyboard with me so that I can put the BIOS back to "don't complain about no keyboard" mode.

Does anyone else have this problem? How can I keep 3V running to the BIOS?

Thanks!

i had that problem yesterday would be interested in any suggestions

Comment

First, probably replace that battery since continuous drain and recharge probably has damaged it so it can't hold much of a charge anymore. Anyways, while yes there is a direct relationship between battery discharge and low temperatures, I looked up the CR2032 (link) and they should be able to go down to -20C (-4F). (different brands probably will be different, but probably in the same ballpark) How cold does it get for you over there?
      Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
      Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
      Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
      Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
      ...it never ends

Comment

There's a relationship between battery temperature and voltage output across the terminals. In my case, it seems like whenever the temp reaches 20-30F, the battery's voltage drops low enough for the BIOS to lose its memory.

Comment

2 batteries in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd2 View Post
            2 batteries in parallel?
            And how, pray tell, do you propse to pull this off with a pancake-style battery in a socket that's mounted to a PC motherboard?
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              And how, pray tell, do you propse to pull this off with a pancake-style battery in a socket that's mounted to a PC motherboard?
              its possible. it would require some soldering and probibly like 4 dollars for the wire and new battery case at radioshack. you could just solder a wire to the battery terminal on the board and run it to a seperate battery holder, it would only be connected to the mother board through the 2 wires so u would have to find a place in your computer case to secure it. but it would definitly work

Comment

Soldering on the BIOS terminals should be easy as the battery connectors are fairly large. If you are going to solder, why not use two AA's in series for 3v? I believe lithium based AA cells (lithium iron disulfide or lithium manganese dioxide) would be suitable for the low temps because they retain over 75% of their service capacity even at -20C. I was also interested on this issue, and here is a datasheet which provides some technical details on temperature effects on different batteries:
                [media]http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/temperat.pdf[/media]

Comment

the temps here have been getting to 30 at night so i changed the battery today will see what happens if that don't work look like it's time to break the solder iron out thanks for that idea never thought of that

Comment

I have the same problem with my Supra setup and temperature in Socal is no where near 50F yet let along 30F.

I have come to a conclusion that either the BIOS chip is crew or something else, but not the battery drain as I can use that battery in other system without problem.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Not sure why, but I have never encountered this issue in colorado. Even when I parked outside. Not once did the BIOS reset on me.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I seem to remember being able to get a double "aa" battery holder for older motherboards that the battery wasn't removable on. Pushed onto two pins on the board if I remember...............
                        Those were pretty old boards though. You might still be able to get something at a comp supply place or something. If your board even has those pins. Soldiering onto the battery contacts would be a piece of cake...............
                        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

You could wire a 3volt regulator off your car battery and hook it to the motherboard. Make sure the voltage range on the regulator is appropriate so you won't lose output while cranking.

Comment

Working...
                          X