Compressed volume detected on HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed volume detected on HDD

I have recently repartitioned, formatted, and reloaded 98se. during the first part of installing windows I get a warning that windows has detected a compressed volume. What gives? I just reformatted. Is this a problem? I have seen this before numerous times but have never figured it out. I am worried that this may some how effect HDD performance.

No, it's not a problem.
    There is an option somewhere to enable compression on a volume. I don't know if it can be undone, though. I've never done it.

You're not going to see much of a performance hit, if any at all.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks. Is this because I have loaded another OS on this Hard drive before? Is there software that can clear this up for me? I dont like not knowing what is going on with any part of my system.

Comment

I believe that WinXP Pro or Win2000 Pro can compress a volume, as well as decompress one.
        I've never actually done it, so I couldn't tell you how to go about removing the compression.

It might be simpler to create an uncompressed partition, copy the contents to the uncompressed volume, then re-create the original partition as uncompressed.
        While simpler, it would likely be more time-consuming, though.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
        X