Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iphone makes me re-think about my carputer... anyone has same ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iphone makes me re-think about my carputer... anyone has same ideas?

I decided to throw it out there. I am an iphone owner (not AT&T I use it on T-Mobile). And my biggest problem became that I am pretty much completely disappointed and not happy with the way my lilliput touch screen works after using iphone touch screen.

I realised that over a year that I have had carputer, I preferred to use my small keyboard to regulate sound or next/previous track.

I am thinking maybe get rid of lilliput screen altogether and put cheaper screen without touch screen. Especially that I use it so rarely.
    f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

"anyone has same ideas?" <-- I'm not sure what idea you're referring to in your post. What are you rethinking? What's different? If you don't want to use the touchscreen, then you don't use it. If you want to take off the touch capability, just pull the touch glass out. Why would you replace it with a cheaper screen? Quality will only get worse with a cheaper screen. Since your setup is done, why rip it apart? I don't understand what it is that you're "re-thinking".
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

no offense bro the iphone is neat but this post sounds spamish. i doubt youd spam but maybe its not spam but fanboyism. i went to the apple store the other day to see the hype and i was notable surprised. however if you want swirly graphics and a touchscreen kb buy streetdeck. I wish roadrunner had a few more bells and whistles (its only a matter of time) but at least i dont have to be limited in capabilities and and all out war with cell phone companies unlocking etc. if the iphone works for you thats awesome but the carputer is less liekly to lead to a car accident

(Did i just say that)
      wow its actually true tho
      just my 2cents
      .______
      | '_ |__\___
      [(o)|___(o)] XB
      ._________
      | I__I I_I|_\__I
      [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I am not a spammer. Look at my post history. The onlypoint I was trying to make is that I have come to realise that lilliput touch screen is simply not as pleasant to use. I spent more than $300 on LCD kit. Anyway I am not even an apple fan, I was just sharing an observation.
        f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Originally posted by f1vlad View Post
          I am not a spammer. Look at my post history. The onlypoint I was trying to make is that I have come to realise that lilliput touch screen is simply not as pleasant to use. I spent more than $300 on LCD kit. Anyway I am not even an apple fan, I was just sharing an observation.
          i meant no offense i could see by your post history ur not a spammer, it just for a second sounded like it thats all. i think what your looking for is smoother frontend navigation , right, like a nice transition of gps music etc. right? i know id like an iphone'ish interface but i wouldnt rip out my install for it. sound like your system is working well as is u just wish it were a bit zippier right?
          .______
          | '_ |__\___
          [(o)|___(o)] XB
          ._________
          | I__I I_I|_\__I
          [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

well not really iphonish navigation ad much as iphonish touch screen quality lilliput frustrated me many times.
            f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

this thread does not make any sense. I totally agree with Psyrex, Why would you take out the liliput and replace with a cheaper screen just because you dont like the touch capabilty? you can just disable it.

Comment

Once again I paid lots of $ for special subaru kit that's why I was thinking of returning some of it back that is all.
                f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Well, it just doesn't make sense what you want. If you think the touch part sucks, going with a a cheaper screen doesn't help your cause. You'll need to go with a much better (expensive) screen if you want better touch response. If you think you're saving money, selling the lilli LCD used probably would be the same price as getting a cheap LCD new. I don't see any or minimal refund from the exchange since you're not switching out the whole kit, only the screen or touch panel. If you don't like the interface, it has nothing to do with the lilli LCD or touch.
                  Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                  Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                  Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                  Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                  ...it never ends

Comment

Ok I probably can't express myself in English. I will attempt once more:

1. I have learnt over the years that I use small keyboard (that sits on passenger seat) more than I use touch screen to regulate volume, navigate previous/next track etc.

2. Now that I have have used a "device" with a perfected touch screen function (not design but how touch-thing works), I want to use lilliput less and less.

So maybe what I want to do is to sell touch screen LCD and buy same size LCD that is not touch screen so I can return some of the money I spent. I bought Kit #4 from this site: http://www.mechatroniks.com/wrx/ordering.html ($483).

Sorry English is not my language, I have tried my best.
                    f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Yes I believe you are correct in thinking this, for an audio only carputer the simplest is the best really. But who installs a carputer for just audio? You will have trouble with any other carputer features without a touchscreen. Why not make it even more simplier and buy one of those flash drive mp3 head units?
                      Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
                      *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
                      *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

Comment

Well.. Actually

I am a Apple Fanboy, and I have been having the same thought,
                        replacing the mac Mini in my car, and busted touchscreen with a iPhone
                        Since the iPhone supply's me the things I want in a carputer (and more)

Music, Check
                        Navigation, Check
                        Traffic, check
                        weather, check
                        GPS Location, Check
                        Movies, check (not when I'm driving)
                        Internet, Email, Voice Command, check, check, check
                        Location Service (POI) check
                        bluetooth, check
                        Oh yea a phone

Now my only problems,

Screen Size (maybe the apple Tablet will be my front end)
                        screen orientation (If I do this I would want it to snap into place, and be flush with the dash)
                        Data entry (teeny keyboard, PIA)

The iPhone isnt the killer app yet for carputing. BUT it has some major potential

Jonathan
                        CarPuter Progress:
                        New Car:----> [||||||||||||||||||||||] 100%
                        Planning:-----> [||||||||||||||||||||||] 100%
                        Construction:-> [||||||||||||||||||||||]100%
                        Software:-----> [||||||||||] 70%
                        Finishing:-----> [|||||||||||||||||||||]99%

Comment

Check the thread link in my signature that says "help me kill my car PC".
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Look into android tablet. Already available.
                            f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

the same here. after 3 custom car pc installations i decided to to the table pc way. i ordered the new archos 5 internet tablet with 500 gb for approx $500 with accessoires which i plug into the cigarette lighter run it on batteries while charging, plugged into my head unit which have nice round buttons to change volume easily and being happy. it has music, video, great gps, wifi, bluetooth and thousands of upcoming android applications.

and hey, you can easily unplug it from your car and use as mediaplayer anywhere. think about taking out your car pc to quickly connect to a friend's tv or similar.

iphone / itouch is not an option because i cannot / want stick to one format and have to convert everything first. besides that it is of course a great gadget.

car pc is just too much wiring, electrical issues, slow boot time, startup/shutdown problems, hundreds of usb devices for wifi, bluetooth, gps etc. and does not work satisfactory at the end - also due to lack of software.

to me, there was no real progress regarding fully integrated front ends for surfing, audio, video, gps etc. always struggling with embedding, focus, etc.

neither road runner nor centrafuse have changed this. and streetdeck was a joke after paying $160 and now they are gone.

byebye car pc

Comment

Working...
                              X