Sound quality CarPC vs Headunit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound quality CarPC vs Headunit

Which is better sound quality CarPC or HeadUnit?

What makes a better hamburger - ground chuck or ground sirloin?

It's all in the details, man.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      What makes a better hamburger - ground chuck or ground sirloin?

It's all in the details, man.
      That what I expected , so how CarPC user do to get the sound quality they want?

Comment

By using the additional processing power to overcome speaker and environment shortcommings.

From my experience, in a SQ system the "perfect quality" aspect is broken down like so:
        Speakers and their installation = 90%
        Source unit = 6%
        Amps (run within their acceptable limits) = 4%

Now because cars are such a PITA to work with getting your speakers upto the "full" 90% value is damn hard, thus being able to throw some very complex signal processing can have significant advantages.

Comment

Thanks for you reply
          But if the sound is already with bad quality , the speakers even if they are perfect will produce bad quality too.

90% for the speakers are high percentage.

may be USB sound cards can solve the prob?

Comment

The speakers and install has to be broken down into two categories, so yes, dang near 90%, with the install of the speakers being the most important part of the whole equation.
            Play with it, 'til it's broke.

Comment

It also depends what you are playing.

For example a 128kbs Mp3 will sound naff compared to a CD (generally)
              whereas a FLAC file in theory should be the same.

If you can get a reasonable sound card (X-Fi series are good) the sound should easily bypass the average head unit.

I agree that the speakers are generally the most important part of the installation but with a carpc introducing MP3, wma, aac etc you are reducing sound quality before it had even made it to the sound card and you can't polish a turd

Comment

90% for the speakers are high percentage.
                I agree it's high. But it's high as one has to do some prety stupid things to make a bad sounding CD player or amplifier. Solid reference designs for CD players and amps have been out in the market for many years. Where as speaker designs that have less than 5% total harmonic distortion at listening level, and 10% THD at max volume are near impossible to come by.

Comment

I have some nice speakers, a couple mid-quality amps, and I use the on-board sound, and I'm not gonna lie, it sounds pretty damn good.
                  Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                    I have some nice speakers, a couple mid-quality amps, and I use the on-board sound, and I'm not gonna lie, it sounds pretty damn good.
                    Thanks you all m8s

That's all logical and thoeritical , let's be more practice and take about real experience with parts and brand names and sound quality gained.

most of you had headunits before intalling CarPC let's compare.

For Me I have Infinity speakers and Sony head unit , I don't like loud sound but I love pure and clear sound with every detail.

Comment

I run all JBL pieces except for my sub, which is an 8" Assassin by Ascendant.
                      If you want to go for sheer SQ, be prepared to open up your wallet. My audio components are a total of about $550
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                        I run all JBL pieces except for my sub, which is an 8" Assassin by Ascendant.
                        If you want to go for sheer SQ, be prepared to open up your wallet. My audio components are a total of about $550
                        No problem , I can make a plan , actually I have to make two plans one for Audio and one for CarPC

Comment

Understand that while I like the audio quality of my system, it is far from award-winning.
                          The people that I know that compete in SQ competition have invested many times what I have invested in audio hardware....
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by HNaga View Post
                            Which is better sound quality CarPC or HeadUnit?
                            Like it was said depends on the components that are used. RedGtiVR6 is a great example here She has won 3 world Championships in USACi using a P.C. but she uses grade A product.
                            Aron
                            New Ipad
                            Zapco DSP-6SL
                            Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
                            Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
                            Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

Originally posted by boomintrac View Post
                              Like it was said depends on the components that are used. RedGtiVR6 is a great example here She has won 3 world Championships in USACi using a P.C. but she uses grade A product.
                              Aron
                              She also uses a Alpine 701 unit just like i do. But i have seen the audio card that she is modifing big time and I am VERY interested to read about it once its finished. That will be a 100 percent PC audio ran system. No processors no in line amps to the system. That would be very cool and a TON of control.
                              Slinkytoy
                              Working MP3Car Thread:
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...k-install.html

Comment

Working...
                              X