No announcement yet.

Carputer is going under the tires soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer is going under the tires soon.

I have about had it with this insane project. 2 years, broken controllers, hard drives and endless install obstacles and I still have nothing working.

My Fujitsu 10 GB HD packed it in before the screen went in. So I buy another HD. This time a Fireball 13 GB. Should be plug and play right? Wrong. The motherboard does not even realize there is a HD connected. It is not trying to tell me that it is a small drive. It doesn't see anything. If I put an old 500 meg HD on it it is happy as can be. It used to like my 10 GB HD before it broke so it doesn't seem to be an issue with being bigger than 8 GB. It was partitioned so I tried partitioning the new one. No luck.

I have an ami flash program (exe) and the proper bios (rom). If I run the exe under DOS it says file missing.

I am at the end of my rope here. Any ideas or maybe tips on how the BIOS should be flashed?

PC Chips motherboard (M741LMRT)
    P II 350 Slot 1
    300 watt inverter

Sleeka

try powering your system from an extension cable in your garage. It could be that your invertor is short-changing your PSU and only giving enough power for the mobo and not the HD too.

Comment

Re: Carputer is going under the tires soon.

Originally posted by Sleeka
      I have an ami flash program (exe) and the proper bios (rom). If I run the exe under DOS it says file missing.

I am at the end of my rope here. Any ideas or maybe tips on how the BIOS should be flashed?

PC Chips motherboard (M741LMRT)
      P II 350 Slot 1
      300 watt inverter

Sleeka
      double check your bios file is in the same folder as your flash program and make sure u are typing it exactly same,, i have had that issue in past.

Comment

maybe its as simple as your jumpers on the hard drive are not set up right.....be sure to take a quick look

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have tried the extension cord trick but nothing. Also I am sure of the jumpers because it works fine inside on my home computer. The BIOS flasher and ROM are both in the c: directory together. I am really stumped. I even tried software from Maxtor but nothing.

Comment

you guys didnt noticed he said his MB is PC Chips motherboard (M741LMRT).... I have come to a conclusion LONG time ago when i started out with C1 that all pc chips mb are CRAP!
            that is prolly the base of ur problem.
            abcd-1
            Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
            You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Doubt very much it is a BIOS problem. The 741 is a new enough motherboard to see 13Gig. I am betting your jumpers are wrong, regardless of whether or not it worked in your home PC.

DON'T flash the BIOS if you don't have to. You'll just screw up the board.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Two quotes come to mind here. Number one being that (taken from Aaron): You can do it right, or you can do it again. And number two being that: Anything worthwhile doing is going to be very difficult.

What I mean by that is, and yes I know we dont all have deep pockets. But after plaguing myself trying to use 'old hardware' to power my car PC and having nothing but problems, I finally started buying brand new components to use in my car and things started working the first time.

The other thing is to have patience. Everything takes time. It probably took me a month just to get my 10.4" into my dash. But after spending many hours planning, measuring, cutting, drilling, it is finally there and now all I need to do is make a fiberglass trim piece to cover it (pics will come shortly).

It's depressing everytime I read someone has 'given up' or packed it in because of problems. Maybe this whole thing isn't for you, but it has taught me a lot of things.

Comment

I have come to learn the hard way about doing it right the first time. I believe I have found the culprit. It looks like it's the power supply. I had bought a 250 watt ATX supply for this computer thinking there was only going to be a motherboard and a hard drive and maybe a DVD ROM (not installed right now). I figured that this would be enough but then I added the Dennis K kit with the controller and inverter powered off the system. I am not sure ofthe combined draw but I know the HD is not spinning up to speed. Now I have a $30 paperweight to go with my $100 Fujitsu paperweight. Why can't this be easier. All I had to do is buy a working system from a local electronics store with a composite video card and installed a composite LCD. All strapped in the trunk and we are talking 4 hours tops. This is 2 years of my life I will never get back.

I guess I'm off to try a bigger power supply. Wish me luck because this is the last time I spend more money on something I already own.

Comment

SuperMattys comment on do it right or do it again it most certainly true for a lot of this community I think, or atleast those with limited budgets and scrap piles of computer bits. I had a crappy bargin bin motherboard ("refurbished" amptron) plague my project for like 9 months, until I decided to pony up the cash for a new board. I've also ended up with a lot of odd parts because of my desire to spend as little as possible, including a "powered by ati" radeon "ve" that as far as I can tell was made somewhere in asia for asia, and wasnt supported by ati until they came out with their universal drivers.
                    -Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X