is this possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this possible?

well i figured i want to put a pc in my car so would this work?
    I want to be able to power my pc and ac both at the same time for extended times with the motor off. How could i do this? maybe add a couple new batterys or something Please explain

Yes - a bigger, or more 12v batteries (wired in parallel with/without an isolator) will extend the length of time you can use electronic components in your car for.

However:
    - make sure you AC runs of the battery and isn't "powered" by the motor.
    - what do you consider an extended length of time to be?

Comment

hm i'd guess maybe 2 hours? maybe 1?

Comment

If it was just a PC (presumeable not a high powered one) - you could probably get away with simply upgrading the main battery to a large deep cycle battery (optima etc).

As for the aircon - find out how much current it draws.

Comment

how would i find out if it runs on the batt? i believe it does though because if you turn the key on (forward) the air will come on.

Comment

Is it just the fans the kick in or the full aircon?

If full aircon - then yes it runs of the battery.

Comment

ah not sure on that one, i dont spend much time in it now since ther is no pc in it yet but i do know when you turn the key to on not back the air kicks in, idk if its the ac i never really took the time to find out.

Comment

Due to the way that AC works (it compresses refrigerant, and puts it through a cycle where, as part of the cycle, heat is absorbed as the refrigerant expands in the evaporator, under the dash) the compressor is required to be engaged and spinning. The compressor is driven by a belt off of the engine, so; no, you need the motor running for AC. For just fan cooling, that's easy. A turbo timer would do the job, but 2 hours of idle isn't a great idea. Why did you want to do this?
                It's been a while...

Comment

well i figured, im young and if i do a car pc i wouldnt have the money to have another pc in my house so i figured i could use the pc in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by New_Era View Post
                    well i figured, im young and if i do a car pc i wouldnt have the money to have another pc in my house so i figured i could use the pc in my car.
                    Are you saying your going to put a nicer pc in your car than in your house? If you want to save money, you can always get computers for free from local electronics waste recycling facilities.

Comment

no im saying i wont be able to afford 2 computers lol and really would like one in my car.

Comment

Working...
                      X