What do thieves target?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do thieves target?

My car has been broken into a few times, but their is nothing to take.
    So what do they target?

What things should I do to avoid having the car broken into?

Avoid:
    parking in rough parts of town
    owning a higher profile car
    Any visible expensive stuff
    driving with the music turned up (gets attention)
    Stickers for performance parts/audio gear

Do:
    Park in a garage
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I have no garage .

Comment

Originally posted by jackhammer990 View Post
        I have no garage .

OK, what about the other items?
        TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

parking in rough parts of town - not a too bad area
          owning a higher profile car - street credit or something like that, def not
          Any visible expensive stuff - LOL the car cost $40
          driving with the music turned up (gets attention) - never owned a car radio, and plus I'm not a fan of really loud music
          Stickers for performance parts/audio gear - I wouldn't advertise for companys for free .

Comment

What kind of car is it? It could be a car that is often known to have "something done" in other words I know people locally that have their honda civics broken into/stolen even though they are stock because there are alot of local "tuners"...

I don't know what kind of car you have but I think if it cost you 40 bucks you should be required to post pictures of it for the rest of us to enjoy!

Comment

Back to your original question, why is your car getting broke into?
              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Since they are breaking into the car regardless of the contents, I would suggest you leave the car unlocked.

Since there is nothing to steal, they will open the door, see there is nothing, and move on without damaging your car.

Obviously, if they want to steal the actual car, the locks aren't preventing them from getting in and they can hotwire it if they want.

I don't see a downside.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

lol thats what I wonder.
                  I'm mostly noticing that the side panel has been bent away from the glass to hook the door lock, the window has been smashed to get in as well.

The car is really scruffy, maybe this is the reason do people target scruffy cars because they look easy?

Comment

I thought that they targeted two different kinds of cars - very common ones that don't stand out and people won't think are stolen because they can resell the parts easily from a chop shop. Second, they target cars that look like they have loose electronic items like GPS units or iPods. There's not a GPS or satnav antenna on the roof, is there?

It sounds like they think there's something worth stealing in the car but they aren't the type of thieves that steal the actual car.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I live in a pretty nice (west side, yo) part of town, and I get courteous theives. They do that: They open the door when I leave it unlocked, check above the visors, check the glove box, check the center console, and leave. A few times now it's happened. They even leave the compartments/visors open so that I know that they stopped by. I'm thinking I'll leave a few snacks in there for them next time.
                      The first time it happened they stole my semi-loose stereo equipment, but otherwise they were very careful about it and left everything else nice and tidy.
                      And my truck's nothing to write home about.

Maybe they're just practicing on your car.
                      It's been a while...

Comment

The best deterrance is to go to your local sound shop and have them install a very loud horn in your car, wire up a decent alarm and set the sensitivity up, once a door is opened or a window is broken you blow out their ear drums with the alarm, they take off running. Sure you replace a window but thats better than a whole system and getting a new dash. Also make sure the alarm has a back up because they will open your hood and cut your battery wires to disable the alarm.

Comment

car alarms are worthless.

When was the last time you heard one going off and thought, "there is a car alarm going off. I should check it out and report it to the police".

That's what I thought. You do think however, "shut that f***ing thing off you bastard" and continue walking along merrily.

Nobody cares anymore, so car alarms are pretty useless.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post

When was the last time you heard one going off and thought, "there is a car alarm going off. I should check it out and report it to the police"...
                            They would probably just laugh at you... That's what gps, security systems, and computers are for, isn't it?
                            It's been a while...

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post

When was the last time you heard one going off and thought, "there is a car alarm going off. I should check it out and report it to the police".

That's what I thought. You do think however, "shut that f***ing thing off you bastard" and continue walking along merrily.

Nobody cares anymore, so car alarms are pretty useless.

Yes other people might not care, but i have taken a grip load of reports of vandalism or attempt burglary from vehicle that the thief was scared away by the alarm, it doesnt have to attract anyone elses attention it just has to scare the thief. Not to mention that if you are home and you hear your alarm you check it out. Obviously they arent 100% but they are a very good deterrant.

Comment

Working...
                              X