cheapest carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapest carputer

Hi. What do you think is the cheapest price for setting up a carputer? Just curious.
    .:Latest Coupon Codes:.

read the FAQ posts there is one dedicated to this
    Planned ... 95%
    Purchased 25%
    Installed ... 0%

WorkLog

Comment

the intel boards are cheaply priced and go well,

Comment

Go to your local electronics recycling center to get parts for free. People throw away tons of old computers that are more than enough to run a carpc with.

Comment

An old laptop works wonders to begin with.

Some of them can run straight off the 14 volts a car's alternator gives.
          And modding them to boot up and shut down with the ignition switch is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by timeassasin View Post
            Hi. What do you think is the cheapest price for setting up a carputer? Just curious.
            The cheapest by far is any old free desktop PC and an inverter. It's also the most ghetto, but it works.

Comment

I got an old laptop, could I use that in my car, is it possible to detach the laptop screen and use one made for cars and have the laptop in the glove box?

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemuso View Post
                I got an old laptop, could I use that in my car, is it possible to detach the laptop screen and use one made for cars and have the laptop in the glove box?
                yes it is possible. The FAQ should be helpful to you.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yes, but you really should search and read posts of the many other people who've done exactly that. You'll find a ton of information already posted on this site.
                  2008 Subaru WRX Worklog

Music I've created: JackPryorMusic.com

Comment

Oh, i guess 2k1 beat me to it.
                    2008 Subaru WRX Worklog

Music I've created: JackPryorMusic.com

Comment

some where in the FAQ I saw one where someone made a carputer for $130. But that was really just for music.

Comment

I say if you want to go cheap, you can always go the route I did. I just used a PC I got for free. It was a 700MHz Duron. It had a sound card and booted and ran RR. Added an inverter and I was good to go. That was a long time ago. I've since upgraded the PC and built a custom MDF case for it. The case can be made for next to nothing. Also, it doesn't have to be ghetto, and it can work. It's just generally easier and takes less space to use a DC-DC power supply.

If you're just getting started, using a freebie old computer and an inverter can be a great, cheap way to get started. Then, as time goes by, add or upgrade to your liking.
                        CarPC:
                        1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
                        Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

Working...
                        X