Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD for car? Whats good and stable? CF?USB?ETC

Hi.

I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc. I have changed the Compact Flash card 3times the last 6months.
    I don't want to buy a SSD drive because it cost to much.

So my question is, do anybody know what is best to use?

USB Memory as HDD?
    CF Card? (if so what brand? I use Kingston 266x today)
    Regular 2.5" HDD (it's not static, will it work over time?)
    Other options?

Thanks in advance.

there are an unlimited amount of threads on this. Do some searching. there is alot of debate on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gpsforcar View Post
      Hi.

I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc. I have changed the Compact Flash card 3times the last 6months.
      I don't want to buy a SSD drive because it cost to much.

USB Memory as HDD?
      Other options?

Thanks in advance.
      I just use a standard 3.5 sata hdd in the carputer. I have never had any crashes. I have sub right next to the carputer. My car is slammed to the ground, ring on 20'' wheels which make the ride not smooth at all. I use the western digital 200gb 7200rpm drive. I never had problems with there stuff. you can get one from newegg.com for under $60.00
      https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

For years (more than 8) I used the same old 3.5 maxtor desktop drive. Not one issue. I recently changed the system now it s the least expensive SATA 3.5 I could find at Micro center at the time.

If you are having trouble it is likely something else causing it but showing a symptom as you describe.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

It might be just luck, but I think some drives definately cant handle shock as well as others.

Before I got my 2.5 automotive grade drive, Ive tried four different 3.5 drives. Two of them worked fine in the carpc, the other one would corrupt files after a month of use, and another drive would freeze the system on big bumps. Doing a scan with spinrite seemed to reveal more sector problems the longer that drive was used in the car. But all of these drives were 5+ years old, so maybe the newer drives are better.

Until SSDs lower in price, a 2.5 drive should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
            It might be just luck, but I think some drives definately cant handle shock as well as others.

Before I got my 2.5 automotive grade drive, Ive tried four different 3.5 drives. Two of them worked fine in the carpc, the other one would corrupt files after a month of use, and another drive would freeze the system on big bumps. Doing a scan with spinrite seemed to reveal more sector problems the longer that drive was used in the car. But all of these drives were 5+ years old, so maybe the newer drives are better.

Until SSDs lower in price, a 2.5 drive should be good.
            I know this horse gets beat regularly.... But the only real things a 2.5 inch drive get you are smaller size, lower power needs and a larger price tag.

Not any more durability. I have had personal experiance that shows a HD is more durable than people in the car or the car.
            TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc.
              Those faults are not because your HDD is in a car.

USB Memory as HDD?
              Other options?
              Thanks in advance.
              In my opinion it doesn't matter...but I like a regular HDD the best..and is easiest to set up. I've used 3.5's and 2.5's without any problems.
              AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
              "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
                I know this horse gets beat regularly.... But the only real things a 2.5 inch drive get you are smaller size, lower power needs and a larger price tag.

Not any more durability. I have had personal experiance that shows a HD is more durable than people in the car or the car.
                i would disagee and say a 2.5" would be more durable, but i'm not talking from experience, just hard drive specs. fom memory a 2.5" hard drive can take 4 time the shock of 3.5" hard drive and still be within specifications.

but i do also see issues after a few months with my 2.5" hard drive. i am thinking of changing to cf to try that but if people are still having issues i may try something else..

Clint
                www.opticalnote.com

Comment

File system issues are likely not caused by being in a car install.

Fix the OS and potentially the power supply / connections.

The specs one shock are so far above what the drive will encounter for a desktop drive it does not matter if a laptop drive is 4 or 3000 times more shock resistant.

Yes, I have read the specs. Yes, I have been in frame bending wrecks with the car PC.....

Some additional threads:
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-mounting.html
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...uter-like.html
                  TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

+1 for 3.5" regular IDE drives. I've been using them for almost 4 years in Michigan climate (below freezing mostly all of winter) and haven't had any issues. In fact, I've only had them not boot 1 time. I simply left the computer on for about 2 minutes, then restarted, and all was good.
                    CarPC:
                    1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
                    Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

3.5 and working fine for several years now.

Used 2.5's before, no issues either.

Well, 'cept when temps get down around -10 to -30 C, then It hangs for a few restarts before it gets some heat in the drive.

This really is an isue that gets beat to death here, do a search..........

Cheers
                      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                      X