LPG and mp3 pc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG and mp3 pc

Hey people my mp3 pc maybe coming back up outa the dead I just wanna ask any of you guys if you have ran a computer in your boot and had a gas (lpg) tank in there too. I am just a bit worried that like if the gas leaks and the computer goes to start up there could be big problems
    http://austmp3car.tk

Hi,
    Here in the netherlands, theyīre using a lot of lpg cars..
    If gas would leak.. (and thatīs NOT GOOD).. the computer wonīt make much difference.... If there would be gas filling up in your boot.. just a bit friction will ignite it, so I donīt think the computer will put on some extra risk..

I donīt know your car, but there might be enough space left under one of the front seats.. you might fit the carputer there..

Greetz,
    Raas - The Netherlands
    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Hey thanks for the extra info man. The front seats would be lucky if they have 4cm of height under them so i think mounting it under the seat is outa the question. Wouldnt it take a less amount of gas leaking for the say fan or other elictrical parts on the computer to make it egnite up. Than comparing it to a amp in your boot etc etc.

Comment

Hi !,
        I donīt think I can answer that question for you, simply because I donīt know that much about lpg, and the point/energy it needs to ignite....

but....

In general,
        I think it would be safe to say.. "When you are allowed to run an amp near the gas tank, a computer is also allowed..."

Your car / LPG-installation didnīt come with some warning about the lpg-tank in your car.. like.. "Donīt ever put an amp or other electrical equipment close to the tank... "

your lights.. braking lights and such are also located in the back off the car.. when a bulb breakes, you prob. have to replace it from within the thrunk... this is also some kind off electrical equipment, and it doesnīt affect the gas-tank..

Really.. if a gas tank leaks.. itīs faulty and should be replaced.. a gas tank should leak ZERO...

Think off it.. they can absorb quite some energy without breaking or something.. .. otherwise it wouldnīt be safe to put one in the thrunk... what if someone rear-ended you really hard.. The tanks are designed to handle this, and donīt explode immediately.. (.ok.. when fire starts out.. heating the gas inside the tanks.. then it MIGHT blow... )

Hope this helps you out..
        Greetz..

BTW.. you could get an all-in-one mobo and put that under the seat !
        Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

how about mounting under the rear seat? I don't know how much room there is under there, but my old XD Falcon had a fair bit of room under the back seats. Just a thought.
          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Just a thought...

Here in the states they ask that you don't use cell phones while pumping gas because of the possibllity of the small electronics igniting the fumes from the gas...

If you're talking about something else just disregard this post.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

gas in this thread is Liquified Petroleum Gas which is just another oil-derivate..

unlike petrol or diesel which are fluids at normal temperatures LPG is a gas at normal temperature.. Therefore it has to be stored in a High Pressure tank located in the back, or under your car. (you can see it like butane/propane gas-tank to īpowerī a BBQ or something)

In order to make the lpg īusableī for a normal petrol engine.. the liquid lpg has to evaporate before the engine takes it in.. this is done by a special unit very close to the carburator/intake off the engine..

In newer models (LPi) the lpg gets injected directly into the cylinder and it doenīt need the evaporation.... it will become gassy in the cylinder where the temperature is much higher than that of the stored lpg (-80C I believe)

Personally (donīt take this as advice) I think that the warnings at gas-stations are only there, just in case something does actually blow up.... The owner of the gas-station can say "I warned people, so it isnīt my fault... " .... about the same as medicines... on every paper with them it says you CAN get headaches from the medicines... but thatīs (almost) only there in order to prevent people from suing the manufacturers.... just because the got a headache.. The manufacturer warned about the problem that a headache could be one off the side-effects, so it cannot be suied for that particular problem..

Greetz,
              Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

Like the wonderful warnings on peanut packets, saying: "Warning, product may contain nuts!"
                Or the other one, "After heating, contents may be hot"

Dave

Comment

Hmm thanks for the info guys. I might have to have a think about were im gonna mount the pc for now. Im just still worried about that much power in the boot beiging that close to LPG. (if u know what i mean)

Comment

Here in the states they ask that you don't use cell phones while pumping gas because of the possibllity of the small electronics igniting the fumes from the gas...
                    That's actually an urban legend. While the cell phone is not rated to operate in an explosive environment, there is no way it can cause an explosion since there is nothing inside that can generate sparks (even the vibrator motor is brushless). It does not put out enough RF energy to induce a large enough current to cause sparks.

I woudn't worry about putting a computer next to an LPG tank. If you have a leak, your computer will the the least of your concerns. And quite simply, it will not leak. Don't worry about it at all. It is singificantly more dangerous simply filling your car with petrol. Also, there is already power routed into your trunk (taillights, signals, trunk release, power antenna, etc). Don't worry about it, there's no reason to.
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Yeah true Aaron Cake. I might just have a bit of a look around for a small as motherboard and start working on my 2nd mp3 pc.
                      thanks for the info anyways

Comment

if your really worried about it... and you have the $$ check out a mini-itx board.

very small cases, and you can fit them about anywhere if you put some time into the case design...

check out www.mini-itx.com

if i didnt just buy a computer less than 1 year ago, i would be thinking of making one of these little boxes for myself.

~Mike
                        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

true, a mobile has minimal chance of an RF spark, there is actually more of a chance of a spark from the battery connections. (useless piece of trivia)
                          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Hey mp3z24 thanks for the link im looking at the site now and the shuttle mb and the via ones both look good

Comment

Working...
                            X