Video distribution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video distribution

Okay, once again I come here seeking advice (suprise, suprise)

What I'm planning on is running 4 separate LCD screens . What I'd REALLY like is the ability for people in the back seat viewing those 2 LCD's (and the passenger with the visor LCD) to be able to watch TV or a DVD while I have the main LCD running copilot or whatever. but be able to switch to whatever the video on the computer is doing (visualizations and such).

Does anyone know of a video amp/distributor that would allow me to do this? I'm not having a lot of luck finding one. Most that I have found are proprietary in some fashion. I'm looking for a universal sort of unit.

Are you looking for manual / electronic / or PC controlled?
    More importantly, how much do you have to spend?

Dave

Comment

I think Belkin sells them.

Comment

Originally posted by thenominous
        Are you looking for manual / electronic / or PC controlled?
        More importantly, how much do you have to spend?

Dave
        Either manual of electronic.

and I'd like to keep it at or below $500

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMatty
          I think Belkin sells them.
          I had no luck finding anything from belkin. BTW these will be standard RGB signals, not VGA if that's what you were thinking.

Comment

Ooops!!!

Comment

If you are trying to watch a dvd on the back screens and something else (like winamp) on the front screen, all from the same PC, good luck. I really don't know how you are going to pull that off, maybe with multiple video cards or something. If you want to switch screens from different sources, for example if you have a x-box running and you want to x-box on the rear screens use the PC on the front screen and have the ability to flip the rears back to the PC then you can use a multi-source audio/video switch. Not sure if thatís what you want to do but here is the link anyway.

http://www.clarion.com/products/multimedia/multi14.htm

Comment

This http://www.g8dhe.com/thematrix/ordering.htm is what I was on about.
                It's a kit form that you would need to build up, but can be controlled by a PC with serial interface.

HTH

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by thenominous
                  This http://www.g8dhe.com/thematrix/ordering.htm is what I was on about.
                  It's a kit form that you would need to build up, but can be controlled by a PC with serial interface.

HTH

Dave
                  Well I have an email into him about shipping to the US.

Oh god! I HATE soldering!

EDIT:

Okay I've decided I am going to build this thing. In the meantime (it might take me 6 months to build it), I was thinking about something like the AV44A located here.

Comment

To mean that seems like a better idea?
                    I mean, I would hack the control unit's to place the switches with the screen's as a control panel rather than on fly leads (yuck), but at least you know it's going to work...
                    Damn you guys get all the kit

Dave

Comment

Maybe one of these would be easier and/or cheaper for you:

www.controlanything.com

Comment

No... while nice, one is for video signals and the other is for stereo audio. I need both in one unit. I neglected to mention it above BUT I need each video signal to correspond with the appropriate audio signal.

The 4x1 Stereo Audio + Video Switcher would be nice except that it has 4 inputs and 1 output. maybe if if had 2 or 3 in and 4 out it would work. Hrmph. I was digging the idea of using one though.

Comment

Ok, im not sure i get the exact problem, nor have i read all the links but couldnt you just use 2x RCA video cards, with a 1 to 4 adapter on the secondary, and just a simple togglebox between the promary and secondary feed for the main monitor. Did i miss or oversimplify something?
                          -Nick

Comment

yeah, you did!

While that would work, I want it to be as seamless as possible. No toggle ****ches or the likes.

While controlling it from the computer is an option (and a nice one) I'd like for each passenger to be able to select their desired video signal on their own.

Comment

Yeah, I was sure that I was, and still am So you want each passenger to be able to select on their own whether they look at the winamp display or a dvd/tv output? How would the other 3 pick without a toggle switch of one sort of another?
                              -Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X