so what do you use to rip cds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what do you use to rip cds?

I'm wondering what everyone uses to rip cd to mp3s. Whats your favorite programs and method?

For me, EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is the best, but AudioGrabber is so close their interchangable. I think EAC has the edge if the CD, or your CDROM drive is error prone. Also, EAC is free, while AG has a slighty nicer interface, but costs money.

BTW, both of these programs are only GUI frontends to the actuall encoder of your choice, and LAME seems to be the favorite. Its what I use the most. I've also tried BladeENC and the Fraunhofer one. LAME always seems to come out on top though.

Hmmm....this is the third time I've had to edit this post to correct some misleading statements I'm making! EAC and AG both will "rip" a CD to wave without any other program. Its only the "convert-to-MP3" part that needs an encoder such as LAME.

On a different note, I also like OGG and have just started playing with Monkey's Audio. I wish the whole music community would switch focus to OGG VORBIS.

Just my two-cents worth.

Dex

PS, I should add: I prefer 256kbps and joint stereo, although I'm trying out dual-stereo. had some problems with it initially. (Actually, still am. The left channel is just pops and crackles useing this method. Can't seem to figure out why.)

Comment

To answer my own question I use CDex. I have tried some of the more commercial brand name all-in-one ripper+players, but most seem too bulky.

Is LAME really the standard because it is good or because it is free?

Comment

Originally posted by mxxxxxm
        To answer my own question I use CDex. I have tried some of the more commercial brand name all-in-one ripper+players, but most seem too bulky.

Is LAME really the standard because it is good or because it is free?
        no its VERY good..... and very fast. EAC and LAME is the best combo, and you find that 95% of ppl in the know use that combo.....

and I always use 192kps CBR (constant bit rate) - Stereo (not Joint Stereo)....
        Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

mxxxxxn, as far as I know, all mp3 encoder's are free. Lame seems simply to sound the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex4now
            mxxxxxn, as far as I know, all mp3 encoder's are free. Lame seems simply to sound the best.
            very much wrong.... IIS/franhoffer (spelling!) own the concept/algorothim of the mp3 CODEC and charge a rate to hardware/software vendors that use their technology...... its just a little known fact by the bulk of users, since they get their winamp/win media player for free......

LAME is free, but technically not legal - but it does use its own totally re-built encoding core, and none of the original franhoffer code...... but its released as an 'educational' tool under a GNU licence system (one of those grey areas!)...

and thats why you will never get a compiled .exe/binary version of LAME available on the official site(s) - only source codes.... of course there are lots of mirror sites (non-affiliated with the core LAME project) that can provide compiled versions....
            Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Hi magnetik; yes, you're correct. Although, Fraunhofer does offer their encoder to end users for free. Available here:

Fraunhofer MP3 encoder

The compiled Lame encoder can be found here:

LAME encoder

And for those that want it, here's BladeENC:

BladeENC encoder

Dex

Comment

i like audiocatalyst by Xing, uses xing's encoder.. they got bought up by Real a while ago, but the most recent Xing version works fine.
                [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
                Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
                a DIY video projector page

Comment

......xing is the bain of all existence on IRC.......

later,
                  nathan

Comment

Hey Machs; I thought I'ld point out that AudioCatalyst is simply the AudioGrabber program prepackaged with the Xing encoder.

If you use AudioGrabber instead, you can, of course, select the encoder of your choice.

Dex

Comment

Used regedit to add MP3 encoding to M$ Media Player 8 with Fraunhofer. Always encode @ 192 unless its voice then I use 92.

Here is an Interesting article that tests various encoders. May make poeple change thier encoding engines...
                      Aura MR62 (F and R)
                      My Current MP3s
                      IamDefiler.com

Comment

i use Nero to rip my cd's to MP3's @ 192kb. I find Audio Grabber always gave me outstanding "possible errors" when ripping, and the only way i didn't get those errors was to rip at like 4x. With Nero i get no errors (maybe cuz there is no gui box to show them?) and i rip at max speed which shows @ 16x. An average CD takes about 4 min with my LG burner doing the extracting.
                        How long is it taking everyone else to rip an average cd?
                        GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
                        VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

I run Linux and use cdparanoia to rip and LAME or the standard Ogg Vorbis encoder to encode.

Comment

CDex with the LAME encoder, ripped all music to 192, stereo.
                            KG6OQD
                            www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

for years i used adaptec easy cd creator because it makes great labels and cases--until i got xp. then it wasnt supported. i got a 32x recorder that came with nero and use that along with the jewel case creator from adaptec.
                              99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Working...
                              X