UGH hard drive problems..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGH hard drive problems..

My hard drive never even went in the car!! I've had it for about half a year, I've used it for a couple different things, but nothing that would bang it around. It was actually in my laptop for a couple months.

It's a 15GB travelstar, every time I try to format it, it comes up with bad sectors.. it is currently showing at 8GB. I can't get anything to install stabily on it. I keep ending up with corrupted .dll's and drivers

Think I could get an RMA on it?
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Sounds like a bad drive. RMA should be easy to get.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Unless its an OEM drive it has a three year warranty. So go to ibm's page and request the rma

Comment

i'm having same problem with my IBM Deskstar, i believe its OEM, am i screwed?

Comment

ibm drives

Just go to IBM's Storage site,

http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/jsp/arma51.jsp

they have a process to verify the warranty status of the drives. If the drive was bought seperately, you should be ok. If it was a pull from a brand name laptop, you've got a nice paperweight.

-Lee

Comment

whoot, bought seperatly :> thanks for the link

Comment

funny this thread has come up... my 40GB IBM deskstar in my mp3car system has just died - a little more than 9-10months

im going to get a Western digital 40GB drive tomorrow from the markets - and forget trying to save a few bucks on a cheaper (and in my opinion) an inferior hard drive..... never will I buy IBM drives again... I have too much trubble with em...
              Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Deskstar aka Deathstar.

There notorious for dying quickly.
                -------------------------------------------
                (=========-) 99% complete
                --------------------------------------------
                AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by magnetik
                  funny this thread has come up... my 40GB IBM deskstar in my mp3car system has just died - a little more than 9-10months

im going to get a Western digital 40GB drive tomorrow from the markets - and forget trying to save a few bucks on a cheaper (and in my opinion) an inferior hard drive..... never will I buy IBM drives again... I have too much trubble with em...
                  ACtually, shortly, you wont be able to buy a IBM HD . IBM sold their HDD manufacturing operations after having such trobles with the Deskstar 75GXP's, and some intermitent problems with the 60GXP's. And I've had both of my 75gxp's (they were the fastest ide drive on the market) die on me, and one of my five 60gxps
                  -Nick

Comment

Man that sucks, I remember when IBM used to be at the top of the laptop HDD market. Who is on top now?

Comment

Actually, I'd still wager that ibm makes some of the best laptop hdds out there.
                      -Nick

Comment

I tried dos, win98, and linux to get this partitions fixed.. in a fit of "well might as well try it" I put it in my usb enclosure and connected it to my laptop and XP was like "oh sure, partitions, what do you want to do with them?" so i was able to fix the partition table and reformat it...

I had gotten a new hard drive, but at least I got a really good deal on it.

edit: oh yeah, tried w2k also
                        aka Kumaneko
                        "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                        Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                        Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                        X