Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless VGA??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wireless VGA??

    Has anybody seen this yet? This is going to be huge in the world of carputers.
    I'm just looking foward to not having to run a vga cable all over my car.

    http://gizmodo.com/5041211/iogears-u...pc-and-monitor

  • #2
    It's also going to be one more RF signal bouncing around inside your car.
    I can see interference with cellphones, bluetooth, wifi, AM/FM radio reception, and so forth.

    Honestly, for reliability's sake, I would rather have something wired to the PC if possible.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      I could also see a wireless man-in-the-middle attack where someone hijacks your VGA viewing pleasure. Oh noes, they see your pr0n! Or someone can replace your feed...lol.

      Cool innovation though.
      My Car: 2001 Mazda MP3
      My OLD Carputer project: Here
      Completion Progress Bar: [**********100%]
      Current build! Here
      Completion Progress Bar: [*********99%]

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by scooterbike View Post
        Has anybody seen this yet?
        Has anybody seen the $230 price tag that comes with it.

        Originally posted by scooterbike View Post
        This is going to be huge in the world of carputers
        it's a cool device, but I don't see it ever becoming "huge". I can see it being useful in office environments for projector connections, etc. but I think it's useless for a carPC.

        Originally posted by scooterbike View Post
        I'm just looking foward to not having to run a vga cable all over my car.]
        so you would actually spend $230 to avoid running 1 cable?

        even if money was no object, I don't think it would save you any work anyways. according to this article, it "offers users the ability to clone and extend their desktops". It looks like it can only be used as a secondary monitor connection. so unless you use a laptop (which has the primary monitor built-in), you would still need a primary monitor connected by a wired VGA cable.

        It is not a VGA-to-VGA adapter (which would work as a "wireless VGA cable"), it is a USB-to-VGA adapter which will hog CPU/memory resources to run the software that streams the video.

        F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
        Fusion Carputer [2.0]
        Fusion Carputer [1.0]

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, around $280 for an Infocus Liteshow2 adapter which allows wireless video and audio to any vga input device (supposed to be a projector, but works on any vga-in). I've installed a few of these at work. Works good, but couldn't see the money for a carpc versus cost and time of running a cable....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            It's also going to be one more RF signal bouncing around inside your car.
            I can see interference with cellphones, bluetooth, wifi, AM/FM radio reception, and so forth.

            Honestly, for reliability's sake, I would rather have something wired to the PC if possible.
            I totally agree with Darq. My setup has so many wireless objects that it actually causes issues with my GPS. Thankfully my SUV is long and mounting the GPS all the way to the back (all other wireless is to the front) got rid of the issues.

            Will the image be as good of quality, especially since it has to go through metal framing, seats and what not? Anything that goes through the air isnt as good as connecting directly, I would think.

            If you do buy it, I am interested in seeing how it turns out working for you.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Wireless USB?

              Why not save 230 bucks and buy a wireless USB hub and a a USB to VGA adapter? All but two cables gone(USB and power for the hub extension). Just a thought.
              For those who fought FREEDOM has a flavor the PROTECTED will never know. Support our troops.

              Comment


              • #8
                I really need to look into my wild allegations before I make wild allegations

                Personally I think it’s too pricy for my needs, which is less then 2 feet. I never considered the RF issues that a device like this would present. I do think the technology is a step in the right direction though, if it becomes smaller, it would allow trunk mounted PCs with visor mounted monitors, or perhaps in other locations where running several wires could pose a problem. Let me rephrase my statement

                “If implemented correctly it has the potential to be huge in the world of carputers, but it probably won’t due to technical limitations and the small market for car mounted computer, which is shrinking greatly because of head units with more and more features crammed into them”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by scooterbike View Post
                  I think itís too pricy for my needs, which is less then 2 feet.

                  the small market for car mounted computer, which is shrinking greatly because of head units with more and more features crammed into themĒ
                  $230 or a 2ft cable? $230 or a 2 ft cable? sigh.... choices.....

                  A head unit still can't completely replace the versatility and customizability (is that a word?) of a car pc. Plus, any modifications would immediately void any warranty you may have on your device.
                  Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kibble View Post
                    $230 or a 2ft cable? $230 or a 2 ft cable? sigh.... choices.....

                    A head unit still can't completely replace the versatility and customizability (is that a word?) of a car pc. Plus, any modifications would immediately void any warranty you may have on your device.
                    Hmm... Come to think of it, I do have that open wound in the middle of my forehead that hemorrhages money.

                    A fully featured head unit would take the people on the borderline of a car computer and a head unit towards the head unit. Other then the amazing work Iíve seen from people on this site, people are generally lazy.

                    But this thread isnít about that, itís about how wireless VGA is an awful idea

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kibble View Post
                      customizability (is that a word?)
                      yes
                      F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well its no biggie, the whole purpose of a thread is to discuss a topic and debate it and or get more info. I personally never knew this excisted, so I learned something new. I can understand why you were drawn to this. VGA cables are very thick and hard to manipulate, eleminating it would be awsome. Just be glad your setup also doesnt use a DVI-D cable like mine does. Its as think as like 4 VGA cables put together, it was a nightmare to install.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                          Just be glad your setup also doesnt use a DVI-D cable like mine does. Its as think as like 4 VGA cables put together, it was a nightmare to install.
                          That sounds WAY to thick for one! I made my own single link DVI D cable out of an old like 20Ft long parallel port cable and it works just fine. No interference, signal loss, nothing. All I did was take apart an already existing short DVI cable, removed the connectors on the ends and soldered the wires from the parallel cable to the connectors, after removing the larger connectors, of course. Sure I could have spliced into the DVI cables but I wanted to avoid doing that and just have a single piece of wire from one point to the other. They were all twisted pairs inside the parallel cable and had decent shielding. I could use some of the remaining wires for other stuff like USB.

                          Plus all the cables I took apart were free so what could be better? LOL
                          Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kibble View Post
                            That sounds WAY to thick for one! I made my own single link DVI D cable out of an old like 20Ft long parallel port cable and it works just fine. No interference, signal loss, nothing. All I did was take apart an already existing short DVI cable, removed the connectors on the ends and soldered the wires from the parallel cable to the connectors, after removing the larger connectors, of course. Sure I could have spliced into the DVI cables but I wanted to avoid doing that and just have a single piece of wire from one point to the other. They were all twisted pairs inside the parallel cable and had decent shielding. I could use some of the remaining wires for other stuff like USB.

                            Plus all the cables I took apart were free so what could be better? LOL
                            Was it a DVI-D cable though or a DVI-A, DVI-I?
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It was a D, no analog connections. I'm using the TMDS 0-2 set along with the clock pins.
                              Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X