Laptop VS. Desktop PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop VS. Desktop PC

So i finally decided to start my CarPC project, but i can't decide with what should i go to...Laptop or Desktop PC.

I allready have a PC that i would put in the car, it's a Amd Athlon 2400+, 1 GB DDR 400 Mhz, Abit NF7-S mainboard,120 GB HDD and Geforce4 Ti 4200 AGP8X.
    I was planning to buy a 250 power supply, that would be the base setup + WiFI, Bluetooth,GPS,TV,ODBII and some other little things.
    Here's the power supply : http://store.mp3car.com/M4_ATX_250W_..._p/pwr-031.htm

Now, the other day i borrowed a laptop from a friend and connected it to my Pioneer HU (4900IB) and turned it up and it works like a charm.No noise or anything and it sounds great (better than the HU it self). Now i find my self in a conflict....Laptop or Desktop.I was thinking something like the Acer Atom for laptop use (something like the Asus Eee).
    Here are the specs.

Screen:8.9" WSVGA
    CPU:Intel Atom, N270(1.60GHz), 533MHz
    L2 Cache: 512KB
    HDD 8 GB solid state + 8 GB SD
    CD-ROM External USB drive
    Memory 8GB SSD+8GB SD kartica
    Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    Network 10/100 Mbit
    Wlan 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    Multimedija Intel High Definition Audio
    3D audio, speakers, MIC
    Acer Crystal Eye 0.3MP camera
    Mobile Intel
    Mem.card reader Supporting Secure Digital (SD) Card
    MultiMediaCard (MMC)
    Memory Stick (MS)
    Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
    xD-Picture Card (xD)
    I/O 3x USB
    1 x VGA
    1 x LAN RJ-45
    1 x Microphone jack
    1 x Headphone jack
    Dimensions 249 x 195 x 36 mm

What do you guys think?

ultimately the decision is yours. but if I had to choose between the two you listed, I'd go with the acer laptop for versatility. It can always be removed to prevent theft.

Save yourself the head banging, avoid the M4 PSU like the plague. Get an Opus if you plan on the desktop pc route.
    Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
    CPU Electrical Specs
    Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
    Temperature Converter
    Voltage Calculator

Comment

why should i avoid M4 PSU? 230$ is too much for me to put in the powering to unit, plus i can't get it anywhere near my country.

Comment

X2
        M4 sucks canal water...HARD!
        I had an M4 (and RMA'd it and got another **** M4) and tried it on my NF7-S...
        Display corruption and nothing but static from the soundcards....
        Just doesn't do it properly...

Your NF7 setup sounds promising, but I'd tone down the graphics...too much power.
        Certainly better versatility...

Comment

If it's between asus eee/acer netbook with the old athlon+full size atx nf7s, I'll go with the laptop.
          Or
          you can get a mini-itx instead.

I never have m4 but had bad luck with m2 (RMA and still got defective product).
          dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

OK...so here's the thing...i just heard from a fellow member Dejan, since we live relatively near each other, and i would have to import the PS from the UK,so 90 % i'm gonna go with the laptop and use a car battery charger to power it or go with the following :
            http://mediacar.si/Sestavljeni-racun...uct-flyer.html

Comment

so where in the world are you?

if you are looking at buying a laptop for the job, buy a mITX system instead

Comment

Croatia

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Can't decide whether to use Asus Eee PC or to build a mini-ITX system and mount it under the seat. I'd have to buy an LCD to put in the double-din space if I chose the mini-ITX option. With the Eee, it's a complete system in one package, and the model I'm looking at costs around the same as a 7" sunlight readable Lilliput LCD alone. All I have to do with the Eee is connect it to an amp and run some power cables and put a startup/shutdown controller somehow.

The mini-ITX option is appealing though because it's more flexible, can be upgraded easily unlike the Eee. Sure, installing it under the seat and running the cables to the LCD and amp might be a bit more involving, but I enjoy the challenge.

And to top it off: it's all gonna cost roughly the same no matter which option I choose. Argh! I'm stuck. Any suggestions?
                  2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Originally posted by MeeM View Post
                    I'm in the same boat. Can't decide whether to use Asus Eee PC or to build a mini-ITX system and mount it under the seat. I'd have to buy an LCD to put in the double-din space if I chose the mini-ITX option. With the Eee, it's a complete system in one package, and the model I'm looking at costs around the same as a 7" sunlight readable Lilliput LCD alone. All I have to do with the Eee is connect it to an amp and run some power cables and put a startup/shutdown controller somehow.

The mini-ITX option is appealing though because it's more flexible, can be upgraded easily unlike the Eee. Sure, installing it under the seat and running the cables to the LCD and amp might be a bit more involving, but I enjoy the challenge.

And to top it off: it's all gonna cost roughly the same no matter which option I choose. Argh! I'm stuck. Any suggestions?
                    well, do you want a true carPC or do you just want a laptop in your car? if you use the eeepc "as-is" with no external monitor, then it will not be a true carPC, it will simply be a laptop in a car (unless you hook it up to an external monitor ot hack the eee apart and install it in-dash).

also keep in mind that to have automatic startup/shutdown control, you'll need to open up your eee and solder wires to the power button.

personally, I would go with the mini-ITX option. with the PC under the front seat, your wiring can be short and easily hidden in the center console (really not much of a challenge at all ). you can built it yourself or you can buy mini-ITX systems prebuilt.

whatever you decide, good luck
                    F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                    Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                    Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

and the eeeeeepc has no touch screen so any ideas how you plan to view or interact with it while driving?

Comment

Originally posted by Woofnstuff View Post
                        and the eeeeeepc has no touch screen so any ideas how you plan to view or interact with it while driving?
                        If I go with the Eee PC, I'll buy a touchscreen overlay kit.

Comment

well, do you want a true carPC or do you just want a laptop in your car? if you use the eeepc "as-is" with no external monitor, then it will not be a true carPC, it will simply be a laptop in a car (unless you hook it up to an external monitor ot hack the eee apart and install it in-dash).
                          I think this issue is inherently subjective. A laptop is still in the category of PCs, therefore a laptop in the car is also a car PC. If I use the Eee PC, I'll take it apart and turn the screen around. I'll also install the touchscreen overlay kit and I'll hookup an external slotloading DVD-ROM drive to it and that will sit under the LCD.

also keep in mind that to have automatic startup/shutdown control, you'll need to open up your eee and solder wires to the power button.
                          Thanks for the reminder

personally, I would go with the mini-ITX option. with the PC under the front seat, your wiring can be short and easily hidden in the center console (really not much of a challenge at all ). you can built it yourself or you can buy mini-ITX systems prebuilt.
                          I might just end up doing the mini-ITX system and then a few years down the track, I could change it to a laptop system, depending on the budget and what systems are available.

whatever you decide, good luck
                          Thank you

Comment

I think this issue is inherently subjective
                            although you won't find the word "carPC" in any [real] dictionary, I think the vast majority of members here would define it as a computer that is 'installed' in a car with a monitior that is 'installed' in the dash of the car. basically, [imo] the installed monitor is what separates a "carPC" from a "PC in a car". as I said in my last post, if you use an external monitor or hack the eee's monitor and install it in the dash, then the "laptop in a car" becomes a "carPC"

A laptop is still in the category of PCs, therefore a laptop in the car is also a car PC
                            yes, a laptop is still a PC (even a mac is a PC, but don't tell that to a mac fanboy ), but the term "PC" is was never debated. when you add the word "car" to it, it implies that it is installed. you didn't explain earlier that you were planning to hack the eee apart and install it into your dash, you said "All I have to do with the Eee is connect it to an amp and run some power cables and put a startup/shutdown controller somehow". therefore I felt it was safe to assume that your intention was to simply mount the eee somewhere on (not in) your dash or on some kind of tacky mount like a gooseneck.

in that case, it would have been just a laptop (PC) in a car, not a carPC. It would be like somebody duct taping a boombox to their dashboard and calling it a car stereo. it may be a stereo, and it's in a car, but that doesn't make it a true "car stereo"

If I use the Eee PC, I'll take it apart and turn the screen around. I'll also install the touchscreen overlay kit and I'll hookup an external slotloading DVD-ROM drive to it and that will sit under the LCD.
                            that would certainly make it a "carPC" in my book ... but you would also lose what I consider to be a laptop-based system's biggest advantage; removability. but if that is not a concern of yours then by all means hack away! lol
                            F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                            Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                            Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Ye, I don't need the PC to be removable. I want it to stay in there like a normal headunit will stay in there. Thanks for the input

The main thing is that the Eee PC seems like a more affordable option when you consider that it's a complete system for around AUD $500 (add AUD $100 for the touchscreen kit). If I went the mini-ITX route, I'd have to spend nothing less than AUD $400 for a sunlight readable LCD alone, and then another AUD $300 or so on the PC (mobo, RAM, hdd, PSU). That's the main factor that got me looking at the Eee PC instead of the mini-ITX.

I'd feel kinda sad taking apart a brand new Eee PC Then again, If I bought a 7" LCD for my dash, I'd probably take it apart too to make it fit my bezel properly. Same principle, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X