Moment of silence for DDT's MP3Car.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moment of silence for DDT's MP3Car.

This morning/ last night ddt's car was broken into and his in-dash screen and laptop were both stolen

The window is broken and the dash is alll torn up.

Sorry to hear that bro!

Thank God for insurance.

Also, was i correct in the understanding that because his vehicle was on his property, his home insurance should cover his laptop?

Once again, Sorry man!

For me, I can pay a $20 per year rider on the insurance to insure my laptop. That covers me where ever I go. I'm fairly certain that you can claim it on your insurance if it was on your property.

Every day that I come up with an Idea for my car, or I think of another component I may want to purchase, I'm always affraid that I might just lose it to some punk. Especially since I have a younger brother who has stupid friends and the areas around my town are urban with plenty of unfriendly areas.

Unfortunately this is also why I've stopped updating my website.. I don't want to document my install for someone so they can just rip me off and know how to get everything out, and put it back in their car.

I think "man I should save up and get one of those Xenarcs" then I think "man.. the day I put that in is the day that I get ripped off"

It sucks, it's really ****ty that we should all have to worry about this. And it isn't even so much the property as all the hard work we put into our projects.

Before my project goes back in the car, I've been trying to work on ways to make everything a little more secure and/or theft proof. Of course, there's no way to keep it completely secure, but I can at least make it harder.
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

man, that sucks...

Hope to god the insurance company doesn't try to scam not paying.. ones around here are notorious around here
      1988 Caprice Classic Wagon
      NOT your daddy's woody.. <-- [i]SOLD!! Not quite pimpin' enough..

Progress : [$$$$$----] 50%
      1.2GhZ AMD Duron
      512 Megs Ram
      Cheapy mobo for testing
      Drives: 10gig - TEMPORARY, for testing
      SB Live! 5.1
      GeForce2 64mb
      15" Kristel Industrial Grade Touch Screen

Software : [##--------] v0.20
      Screen shots/feature list coming soon(..-er or later)

Comment

That really sucks, hopefully hes got receipts for his screen, and the rest of the stuff.

Im gonna try and make my install as stealth as possible (the screen will side out), so that when its not in use, its invisible. And i dont know where im going to be doing the installation, but maybe in my friends garage, (only his house garage, not work shop), but at least then people in my area wont see it being installed.
        Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
        Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
        '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

all is covered and a new screen is in the mail

Comment

Armen is suspect # 1. I didn't buy the TM 701L from him. This was an attempt to get me to buy one from him... and it worked. Thanks a LOT Armen.

Just kidding.

... but it sure blows getting ripped off. The idiots didn't even know half of what they were taking. They took the keyboard part of a wireless keyboard but not the reciever. Morons.

Does anyone remember that website that has that film that makes your windows pretty much indestructible?

Also got a quote for an autopage alarm (pager/remote start/the works) for $329 installed. Do you guys think it's worth it? I would love to have the pager go off in the middle of the night and stumble out in my underwear with my .45 and say something stupid like "Hey stupid, drop the LCD or I drop you."

I was also thinking about putting an XCam like thing in the car and having it record on the HDD in my home so if they steal the comp I'll have SOME evidence.

I mean some people caught a glimpse of the guy and described him as a black male about 5'10" and 150-170lbs. That describes about 400,000 people in this city.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
              Of course, there's no way to keep it completely secure, but I can at least make it harder.
              stickdeath.com had some interesting ideas

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news hopefully you will be getting your money back via the insurance. If you need any receipts let me know.

Definitely get a good alarm with a pager. Also look into getting a very loud alarm horn (an upgrade perhaps). People don't pay any attention to regular alarms but a very loud horn will make it impossible to stay near the car.

Armen.
                http://www.digitalww.com

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                  stickdeath.com had some interesting ideas
                  I thought of a CO2 canister with an electric valve and a relay with a recorded message that says "Climate will become toxic in 3.5 seconds" as the valve releases and a cloud of white "smoke" starts billowing from around the windshield and under the seats
                  aka Kumaneko
                  mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

Or instead of CO2, just tie it into your nitrous system... You use medical grade nitrous oxide anyway. make em happy while they jack your **** .

Comment

If I had a nitrous system I would.. except NO2 is much more expensive than CO2 which I can get for free

NO2 would be a bit risky if something happened when you were driving.. you might end up a little "silly" and smashing your car into a building at 85mph

CO2 would be a bit risky because if something happened you could get CO2 poisoning, and possibly pass out or die.

Chose your path, either way, you won't know what hit you when you eat it.
                      aka Kumaneko

Comment

Over in the Uk we often hear about tazers and other electric stunner's that you can attach to your steering wheels, with a big long sparking bar going down in front of your stereo. Sadly not legal over here, but they sell them in the US?!?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                          ... but it sure blows getting ripped off. The idiots didn't even know half of what they were taking. They took the keyboard part of a wireless keyboard but not the reciever. Morons.
                          Yeah, thats typical of the freaks that go round ripping people off. A few years back in the early days of CD Changers I had one of those proprietry changers that had their own seperate controls on the dash. When the car got broken into they took the changer and left the controls!

Sorry to hear the news, but look forward to seeing the next install!
                          -------------------------------------------
                          (=========-) 99% complete
                          --------------------------------------------
                          AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                          All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                          Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                          ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by thenominous
                            Over in the Uk we often hear about tazers and other electric stunner's that you can attach to your steering wheels, with a big long sparking bar going down in front of your stereo. Sadly not legal over here, but they sell them in the US?!?

Dave
                            any kind of "booby trap" is illegal
                            aka Kumaneko

Comment

These thing will happily annouce either by a siren or recorded voice chip that they are about to go off. "Booby traps" are hidden or secret, cant surely call something that warns you a booby trap. Might be stretching it a bit, but in the Uk we have electric fencing to keep cattle in farmer's fields. They have warning signs on them, and bloody hurt when you touch them

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X