Installation and woodworking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation and woodworking

I'm about to start another project, and have decided it might be a bit more involved this time. I am particularly interested in woodworking and how to shape build custom consoles, amp racks, and, sub boxes.

Specificly, how do people get the perfect cuts on the wood to match up to odd shaped surfaces on the vehicle (think floor console going up to underside of dash)?

If anyone knows any guides on the net that might help me out please do share. Thanks again!

One very common technique is to use cardboard to make a template. Just take little cuts out of the cardboard until it matches the contour you need, then use the cardboard to transfer that to your wood.
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

when i was building things for my s-10 i'd take strips of aluminum about 3 feet long and bend them to the shape of the panel. then just transfer it to wood. its never an exacting science the first few times, so be prepared to screw up a couple......

later,
      nathan

Comment

How'd you keep the aluminum from bending back? I mean it didn't just mold perfectly to the surface, did it? Or was it like aluminum foil?

Comment

because of its memory, you have to bend it past the point you really want. when you can set it in the spot and it fits perfectly without having to push it closer to the panel, you're there...

later,
          nathan

Comment

gotcha... any good custom installer sites out there?

Comment

You could also use polystyrne (packing foam) with a rasp and a utility knife to shape the foam, and then use it as a model for the wood working.
              -Nick

Comment

www.fiberglast.com has a good forum for custom fiberglass installers. Well.. I say goodb ecuase there are a few people that know their sh1t, but the forum rules prohbit you from mentioning products that fiberglast doesn't sell (ie competitors stuff).

I also know that Home Depot (or soem other hardware stores) sell a guage for transfering contours of wooden moulding. Basically it is a set of rods positioned horizontally:

---------
                ---------
                ---------
                ---------
                ---------

When they are pushed against a surface, they hold their position (shape to be duplicated shown in X's):
                Code:
                XXX---------
                XX---------
                XXX---------
                XXXX---------
                X---------
                I hope my art will due, since I forget the name of the thing. Otherwise the aluminum flashing sounds like a good idea.

[edit:] the spaces in my ascii art wouldn't post
                No Carputer YET.
                A car I'm designing...

Comment

<----------headed to home depot.

Comment

Two ways I have used.

Remove part of the surface you are trying to match. I was doing a center console for the wife's car. I removed the ashtray and some parts behind it then slit wood into the hole and traced the outline of the dash from the side.

Use a scrap part of wood. Place the straight place of wood a fixed distance from the contour (for example 6") Then with a 6" scrap hold or tape a pancil to one side and slide the other side along the contour.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen
                      Use a scrap part of wood. Place the straight place of wood a fixed distance from the contour (for example 6") Then with a 6" scrap hold or tape a pancil to one side and slide the other side along the contour.

Quite an excellent idea and how obvious. It's the mundane details that kill me. Thank you. I will definatley use it.

This weekend... the seats come out!

Comment

No prob. Thats how I did my overhead console. Got two thin boards as long as my cab and duct taped them up to the bottom of the headliner then used a scrap to strae the headliner. It came out pretty close.

Comment

Working...
                        X