Google Latitude on a CarPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Latitude on a CarPC?

I know I am late, but I started playing with google latitude on my PPC, and its kinda cool. My mom can go online and be noisy and see where I am. My CarPC uses a dedicated data card to access the internet. Is there a way to have google Latitude run on my CarPC, so people can track my car?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

If you are already running it on your PPC do you really want on the CarPC also. I have mine running on my Blackberry but never thought of it running in the car. Is yours accurate on the PPC, because mine is always with 3000 meters but I think that is a more Verizon issue.
    Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.
    My 2000 Saturn SL2 Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by skeet2331 View Post
      If you are already running it on your PPC do you really want on the CarPC also. I have mine running on my Blackberry but never thought of it running in the car. Is yours accurate on the PPC, because mine is always with 3000 meters but I think that is a more Verizon issue.
      Mine is dead on accurate, I was kind of shocked. Well my whole point is say for example I let some1 borrow my car. I want to be able to see where they go. I cant say, heres my phone, take this with you, lol. I read that verizon is buggy with GL because supposedly they block something so you have to use their VZNavigator service. I also read though that at some point they were going to unlock that block.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I still want to get a Computrack for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by strikeback03 View Post
          I still want to get a Computrack for my car.
          Provide a link to it....

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

http://www.compustar.com/products/computrack.htm

Comment

Yeah, VZW blocks 3rd party apps because they want you to buy VZW navigator. I hate how they cripple so many features on phones. I ready to switch companies.

I agree now that you mention that latitude would be a cheap solution to track your car via GPS. I will look it to that also unless someone knows a better solution.
              Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.
              My 2000 Saturn SL2 Worklog

Comment

I've got latitude running on my VZW Blackberry storm. it has a built in GPS that works as a standalone. Just depends on which phone you have i guess.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

That looks interesting, to bad I didn't see any pricing.

Originally posted by skeet2331 View Post
                  Yeah, VZW blocks 3rd party apps because they want you to buy VZW navigator. I hate how they cripple so many features on phones. I ready to switch companies.

I agree now that you mention that latitude would be a cheap solution to track your car via GPS. I will look it to that also unless someone knows a better solution.
                  This is why I have never considered VZ. They always seem to dummy down their phones and take away features. I guess to cut costs. Like the Sprint Touch Pro, has so many features and faster speed and looks nice, but the VZ version is missing so much stuff and looks ugly.

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                  I've got latitude running on my VZW Blackberry storm. it has a built in GPS that works as a standalone. Just depends on which phone you have i guess.
                  It also depends on the OS.... I have to assume BlackBerry was not about to mod their OS to make it sh!++y, just for VZ. I agree it does depend. I started to cut costs and since METRO PCS you can now bring any CDMA phone to their network, I brought my Touch Pro. I had to hack it to get internet though, but google Latitude still works, just not as fast since its similar to dial up.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Why not just buy a GPS puck and run it on the carputer?
                    1997 3.8L M5 Camaro: Too many mods :evil:
                    235RWHP/232RWTQ

Comment

kinda reminds me of sum units i have that seem to work like the Minorplanet ECU3000 cant get them to do anything usefull cause just like that one theres a contract hey hav to go on and the ones iv got they woudnt activate unless i did 20 on the one plan. so im pulling them appart for some of the componets. gps units with TTL outputs and falcomm gprs modems going to tryu and intergrate them into my currnt setup.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                        Why not just buy a GPS puck and run it on the carputer?
                        Well the cars already have GPS, its just we want a solution to track the car, and Google Latitude is a cheap way of doing it (its FREE!!!!!!!!!). Problem is I am using a data card, so I dont know how to get Google Latitude to work, its a small app that is made to run in the background on a phone. Now that I think of it though, if something happens and the car is stolen, the person would most likely turn the PC off. So a hidden solution may be better. There is one by LandSeaAir, that is small and only costs a few cents per ping. I think though that a Google solution, just for fun, would be cool. Eventually when i get my site up, I want to have Scavenger hunts, were a set amount of people try to locate items, who ever gets the items wins a prize at the end. Google Latitude would make it very fun.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

How is your battery life with Latitude running? On my Blackjack II I noticed it drained the battery a lot faster.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM View Post
                            How is your battery life with Latitude running? On my Blackjack II I noticed it drained the battery a lot faster.
                            It really really really ate up battery life. I also noticed that my phone is a bit warmer, I guess because the GPS antenna is always running. I have to assume your BlackJack also uses a seperate antenna and does not use triangulation like some phones. So I guess GL is only good for when you feel like using it, lol.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

good point. Mine does have it's own GPS, maybe I'll turn it off and just use triangulation see if that works better.

Comment

Working...
                              X