Controlling my exhaust cutouts with my carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling my exhaust cutouts with my carputer

So, I have this carputer and plan on running RR. I will be upgrading my exhaust soon and will have these electric cutouts installed http://www.badlanzhpe.com/page6.html . Is there anyway I can connect them to my PC and control them through software instead of using the provided hardware switch? If the switch is pressed one way it seals off the bleed pipe and is essentially a normal exhaust, If it is pressed the other way it opens the bleed pipe and it is pretty much running the exhaust straight out the headers. The controller is what sets the stop points for the valve in both directions I am pretty sure.

Fusion Brain!
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fusion-brain/

Let me know how that goes, I've been thinking about buying a set of them, but was worried about reliability vs manual cutouts.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Are you sure that can control the cutouts? I dont think its a digital switch? What are the dimensions on the fusion box?

I believe they are pretty reliable from what I hear especially if you get cutouts with a brushless motor.

Comment

chances are the fusion brain can control those... really with a little creativity there isnt much that the fusion brain cant control.

If the switch for the cutouts is just an on/off then it will be really easy to control it with the fusion brain and a relay.

If its a momentary on/off/on switch you can still easily do it with the fusion brain by using 2 relays then create 2 momentary switches in the program. or you can make an open/close switch and program it with a timer to lets say pulse the open relay for 3 seconds so it opens all the way, then if you press it again it pulses the close relay for 3 seconds...

Fusion software can seem complicated at first but with a little time reading up on it you'll be controlling everything in the car from it.

Comment

ohh so it can support the on/off/on thats what I was wondering. Also, What if there are a lot of amps running through the switch? Could it handle the maximum current of a car battery?

Comment

the brain only puts out a low amp 12 volt signal, i think 200mA, that is designed to activate a relay. You cannot actually power the cutouts directly off the brain. Most standard issue automotive relays are good for 25-30amps. you can get 40 amp ones also and as a diesel mechanic on our trucks they also have 75amp relays... any more than that your looking at using a solenoid, so really you can power even the largest items with the fusion brain with the right components. But a set of cutouts prob arent more that 15 amps so a standard relay would be fine. You can buy the relays with the fusion brain and they already have the right connectors and wire leads on them to plug with into the brain board. www.fusioncontrolcentre.com

there is a whole forum section on this site for the fusion brain and the two creators of it are the most helpful people you'll find.

Comment

yeah I know I'm just concerned at where the cutouts lower the amperage the motor is only .5-1 amp from what the retailer told me but he doesnt know anything else I guess I could wire it directly to the battery and take some measurements. The fusion board is supported in roadrunner right?

Comment

just run a wire from the battery to the power input side of the relay (terminal 30 on a standard relay) then the wire from the output side (terminal 87) to the cutout. The brain wires go to the + and - switching terminals whic would be 85 and 86.

its not natively supported in RR but there is a plugin for it, but i never used it and don't know how the programming and coding works for that. I just use the fusion software and made a simple skin for it that embeds the program into it so it appears to be part of RR.

Comment

There is a very nice plugin for RR for the fusion brain, and it's even under active development so if you run into any issues with it they guy who wrote it can help you.

How far down the pipes do you have to put these cutouts? My main concern was the fact that my old cutouts were right after the headers so they get quite hot, not sure how a motor would handle that kind of heat being as the pipe itself gets hot enough to melt insulation and any plastic touching it.
                  "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                  RevFE
                  My Shop

Comment

you would hope that they would use motors designed to handle the heat of a high performance engine. If they don't then they would be useless.

Comment

My advice, get the shut off valves made by exhuast company capristo, they come with a remote control so its easier to adapt it. Also these valves were designed origanlly for ferrari's then made universal so they are definately up to the job performance wise!

Comment

Just some clarification, the digital outputs put out up to 500mA each channel, more than enough to switch most relays.

Also the software we provide has its own RoadRunner interface. Supports multiple Fusion Brains, and exposes all variables, inputs, and outputs. You can use the logic section and then output through the COM object and skin through RoadRunner, or you can do everything in MDX and just embed it.
                        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                        X