No announcement yet.

Potential Danger to After Market Elec.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Danger to After Market Elec.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I was just curious if theres a possibility of causing damage to any mechanics or electronics in my car from powering to much off of my battery. I own a 1999 cadillac deville d'elegence and since I am already powering a 200 watt amp, I was wondering if it would be safe to install a car ITX pc, and two 12" sunvisor monitors. The car only has 50,000 miles so I imagine the alternator is still running strong. thanks, the help is appreciated!

It is *possible* but depends greatly on your installation's power consumption and the output of your alternator.

You'll need to add up the components you intend to install in the car and estimate the power consumption. You can use a power calculator to help ensure you've done this right. Check the FAQs in the nav bar up top of this page for information about power supplies.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

alright thanks for the reply. Ill have a computer with a 180 watt psu, and a 9 watt 7" touchscreen. I also have a 200watt amp currently installed. Would I have to install another battery in my car or should i be alright?

Comment

Extra battery will just put more strain on your electrical system. It should be fine, the Deville is a big car, likely with a big alternator. You aren't installing that much electrical stuff, lots of people in tiny Civics have put way more stuff in and works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
          Extra battery will just put more strain on your electrical system. It should be fine, the Deville is a big car, likely with a big alternator. You aren't installing that much electrical stuff, lots of people in tiny Civics have put way more stuff in and works just fine.
          different alternators are not installed in cars based on the outside dimensions, engineers usually spec a alternator just above(off the top of my head, I think it is 20-30% higher-i could be wrong) the power needs of the cars electrical systems, if all the systems were running at the same time-this applies the same to civics as it does to hummers.

what you are adding should be within reason of the factory charging system.

and while a extra battery does put more strain on the electrical system, it can help in higher wattage setups, but mostly if you are interested in running your equipment with the engine turned off.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
          X