Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working with Windows XP embeded, is it similar to Winodws XP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with Windows XP embeded, is it similar to Winodws XP?

I have a few thin clients on the way. They all come installed with Windows CE 4. Currently the stats are 800mhz, 32mb flash memory and 64mb of RAM. I found that I can upgrade the RAM to 512mb, and change the Flash Drive to a HDD. A full XP install may be to much, should I look into Windows XP embedded? Also the HDD I am back and forth on. They will not save anything on these thin clients and only certain softwares will go on the systems. They are basically for Music, Video, and Internet. I would love to get a front end on each, but to run only those features. Should I go with a Flash drive again but maybe bigger, like 10 GB? If XPe is to hard, What OS do you recommend?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Is it an x86 CPU? If not, then XPe is out of the picture. The other issue is that you need to buy XPe Tools and device licenses, which will get expensive for a couple of devices (~$1000 for the tools, ~$80/device). Without licenses, the images will expire after 60-180 days. For that low-power of a system you may want to look at a highly customized Linux.
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
      Is it an x86 CPU? If not, then XPe is out of the picture. The other issue is that you need to buy XPe Tools and device licenses, which will get expensive for a couple of devices (~$1000 for the tools, ~$80/device). Without licenses, the images will expire after 60-180 days. For that low-power of a system you may want to look at a highly customized Linux.
      OK, so xpe is out, lol.... Here are the specs for the systems.

System
      Processor: Transmeta Crusoe 800 MHz
      Memory: 32 MB Flash with 128 MB DDR SDRAM (Note: 16 MB of system RAM is reserved for processor usage.) or 32 MB Flash with 64 MB DDR SDRAM (Note: 8 MB of system RAM is reserved for processor usage.)
      Graphics: ATI Radeon 7000M with 16 MB discrete video RAM
      Ports: 4 USB, 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 optional PCI, 1 PS/2

The MoBo looks like a x86. I could be wrong though.

Its the size of a mini-itx. How do I find that out?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Transmeta chips are x86 compatible, so you can give XPe a try, but the licensing will be an issue I think.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Would it be safe to run a normal Windows XP install? I dont want the licensing issues. Its easier to just make a XP image with all my stuff, then clone it for the other systems. I'll have to upgrade the RAM and HDD, but should be easy. Still not sure what type of HDD to go with. I normal drive, a Compact Flash Drive?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Must it be a windows based program for compatability issues? if not I would try puppy Linux 4.20, its small, fast and has many of the features a full on OS has. AND 100% FREE!!! I do not know if there is a front end based on Linux, so thats something to look into.

I don't have experience yet with building the carpc but I have some computer experience...so i'm just tossing idea's out there....

Comment

Originally posted by interceptor999 View Post
              Must it be a windows based program for compatability issues? if not I would try puppy Linux 4.20, its small, fast and has many of the features a full on OS has. AND 100% FREE!!! I do not know if there is a front end based on Linux, so thats something to look into.

I don't have experience yet with building the carpc but I have some computer experience...so i'm just tossing idea's out there....
              Well my main reason is because I want to put Centrafuse on all the units. So yes its for compatibility. Also I have no clue about Linux. I know I used it once at my job and it was fairly easy. It was very common sence stuff, but when a Windows solution came out, I was all over that and dropped Linux. Im just very comfortable with a Windows OS. I found a Windows XP that has been stripped down for speed, I may try that.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Yes, you could use WinXP with nLite, but I don't think Centrafuse will run very well on that hardware. You try a small SSD drive. I wouldn't bother with CF drives any more since they're a pain to deal with when running a full OS like WinXP.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                VoomPC 2

Comment

I think you'd have to do an external USB hard drive, as I don't see anything on the motherboard where you could connect?
                  FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                  My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
                    I think you'd have to do an external USB hard drive, as I don't see anything on the motherboard where you could connect?
                    The Flash drive that it has pulls out and it has headers to connect a HDD. Problem is, this model cannot upgrade the RAM. I opened it up and the RAM is built into the MoBo. On another note though, The Windows CE is fairly fast. I may just leave it as is. It comes with Windows Media Player 9, Internet Explorer. Those may be enough to get me by.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i have a few thin clients also some with replaceable mem, some with out.....ive managed to get a few of them to boot with DSL form a thunmb drive (DSL = Dam small linux) . i have one that i was able to up the ram from 128 to 512., installed XP pro on it, & it was like a snail....IMO i thnk XP needs @ least 1gb to run properly.....if you can upgrade the storage & mem., & install a linux or similar OS youo shoudl have no problem saving info to the HD, with thin clients it isnt the HW that lmits you to saving, its the OS they use

Comment

I have got a few PMs from people asking about the casing for these units. Yes they fit a mini-itx board, but to a certain limit. Basically all the screw holes will match up, but if the mobo is to high with its components, then the lid wont close. Pix below.

As you can see, its not a perfect square, but more of a triangle. What I am going to do is buy a thing mini-itx, to be specific, the Intel D945GSEJT Johnstown Mainboard http://www.logicsupply.com/products/d945gsejt. It is made for thin cases, infact it seems to be so thin that I can fit the HDD, and maybe the PSU into the case.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Nice board, very thin. I'm facing an issue with the M4-ATX right now fitting in the Thin Client with the stock heatsink/fan.

I have a Scythe low profile heatsink/fan in my desktop I'd like to try on this board, but I'm not sure it'd fit any better because of the large heatsink on the chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
                            Nice board, very thin. I'm facing an issue with the M4-ATX right now fitting in the Thin Client with the stock heatsink/fan.

I have a Scythe low profile heatsink/fan in my desktop I'd like to try on this board, but I'm not sure it'd fit any better because of the large heatsink on the chipset.

Have you tried only using the plastic lid? wont it close then? I want to use the metal also, thats why I like the MoBo I found.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

If I use only the plastic lid it closes without issue. I've got the laptop drive and the heatsink/fan in there without issue, but I haven't figured out just yet how I'm going to get the power supply to sit pretty.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread...hijack.

Comment

Working...
                              X