This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm done with the CarPC Deal

Ok guys if you have a better solution let me kno. Here is my story.

When it comes to my music, I keep everything I have organized for my ipod touch. I have put countless amounts of time into fabing a dash and making everything work just to have a CarPC that takes way too long to load(even coming out of hibernation takes a good 15-20 seconds), can't read worth **** in daylight, and will no even sync with my ipod touch. I still can't get it to sort my music on my hd the way I want it with the id tags, I did set it up to automatically sync wireless when I turned my car on...yet the second I get it in my car it doesn't work. So here I am with a dash that doesn't look good, no physical volume control, when I first start RR up and change the volume it automatically turns all the way down, and I don't have an easy way to put a CD player up front because my computer is in the trunk. Honestly I want to just sell my parts off and get the Kenwood DNX5140...I just think this project for me has been a complete waste of time.

Dear mdawg, having a car computer is a hobby. For me it is a hobby and i love it. For you Kenwood DNX 5140 might be the way to go because you just want to do nothing and get everything which is fine to but it is also that fact that separates "your kind" from "our kind" (no racism of any sort intended, "our kind" is simply kind people that enjoy messing around with technology and troubleshoot problems that might come up because in the end we find pleasure in completing a project on our own). If you are unable to stand up to the pressure then give up and pay someone to accommodate your need.

Apologies for the roughness

Sincerely Untraceable.
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if You win, Your still retarded"

Comment

Originally posted by mdawg View Post
      when I first start RR up and change the volume it automatically turns all the way down,
      Mention and you shall receive an answer: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/rr-b...-0-resume.html
      Ampie Case
      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

None Taken...

I just don't get it, I've built all of my computers and I am going into it for my major but I just can't seem to get a handle on this. I started this project with the love of doing something with my car that deals with computers and It has quickly turned into a nightmare. I don't really like any of the frontends or anything. I like features but at the same time for this application and being in the car with lots of distractions I wanted something a little more simpler. The Kenwood just does what I want for my car needs so why should I try to put anymore time into this? I'm not saying I couldn't get it working to a degree of how I want it because I am very capable but I just don't see the outcome being worth the time and effort when there is something that will be everything I Want already.

Comment

It's not for everyone, and a front end/skin can only do so much. Especially if the user has a particular requirement. Blindly adjusting the volume on a touchscreen can be difficult, or skipping the tracks - versus blindly adjusting the volume/track on a regular headunit.
          FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
          My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

you 'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
              you 'll be back
              Yep, he just needs to vent!
              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
              M2-ATX Power Supply
              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
              Windows XP SP3

Comment

The hard work is done. Why not try some other front ends and rdp to it from your desk have a play and see if you can get it how you want it to run
                Mileage Calculator and logger in progress check it out :)
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...italcarsig.jpg

Comment

Well if no frontend bring entire satisfaction / suits your needs, code your own.

I don't think the "carpc is too long to boot" is an argument. Every computer takes "ages" to boot to zindoz, it's a fact. Even with the latest hardware, 5 second boots are achieved with a micro linux loaded from bios. Solutions with fast boot implies a motherboard supporting win mobile (kontron boards do), or a fine tweaked linux.
                  Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Not true. Thru all the different revisions of my CarPC, at one point I was achieving 8 seconds resume from hibernation, including post times. Linux isn't always the answer. A fine tweaked windows can boot (resume if we wanna get technical) just as fast.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Wall of text.

You say that it takes 15-20sec to resume from hibernate and it's way too long?
                      Have you tried standby mode? It's faster, but you'll run the risk of draining your battery.

You say you want your files sorted by ID3 tag.
                      I sort mine into a folders for the artist and then subfolders for the albums. File management isn't something the computer does. It's something the user does.

You didn't want to shell out the extra coin for a daylight-readable (aka transflective) LCD, and you want to complain that you can't read it in sunlight...
                      Ummm. OK.

You want physical volume control, then implement an EQ or headunit that has a volume knob. There other options, but that is the easiest solution in my eyes.

Automatic wireless sync is a breeze if you configure it right. Can't say for an iPod Touch, since I don't use one. I bet you run iTunes, too.
                      Hate it for ya. The general consensus is that iTunes sucks ***.

Honestly, it sounds as if you're bent out of shape because you dind't get out of it what you want.
                      Why didn't you get what you want? You didn't plan the project to completion to make certain you could get what you want.

So you're faced with two options:
                      1 - Give up, sell your gear and buy a Kenwood deck and look like everyone else with an overpriced deck.
                      2 - Take a step back, breathe for a bit and try to tackle your issues one by one. You may get what you want. You may not. Nobody said the process would be simple.

Time to fish or cut bait.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Car computers can be frustrating.

I deal with that often as I insist on using linux, period, and frontends and mapping software are both in short supply and limited in ways. (Though NGhost and LinuxICE get better all the time!)

I've had mine in my car for about a year now and it still is not JUST the way I want it.
                        And it may never be.

Nobody (well, few folks anyway, lol) will think less of you if you give up on it. It is not for everybody.
                        It's a niche market, just like overclocking, watercooling and even my os of choice, linux.

If it isn't something that you enjoy, screw it man! Get the head unit and be happy.
                        For the pure functionality I myself need, I know I would be better off with a Garmin and a good head unit.

But I still enjoy my car computer.
                        And I like the extra stuff I can do with it beyond the basic functions.

But I would suggest you hold off on junking all the work you've done so for immediately- give it a bit of time before you make the decision final and spend any money or sell anything off.

Comment

Originally posted by mdawg View Post
                          Ok guys if you have a better solution let me kno. Here is my story.

When it comes to my music, I keep everything I have organized for my ipod touch. I have put countless amounts of time into fabing a dash and making everything work just to have a CarPC that takes way too long to load(even coming out of hibernation takes a good 15-20 seconds), can't read worth **** in daylight, and will no even sync with my ipod touch. I still can't get it to sort my music on my hd the way I want it with the id tags, I did set it up to automatically sync wireless when I turned my car on...yet the second I get it in my car it doesn't work. So here I am with a dash that doesn't look good, no physical volume control, when I first start RR up and change the volume it automatically turns all the way down, and I don't have an easy way to put a CD player up front because my computer is in the trunk. Honestly I want to just sell my parts off and get the Kenwood DNX5140...I just think this project for me has been a complete waste of time.
                          1. i guess everyone has their opinions but 15 secs for me is not that long, my car-pc takes 16 secs to boot from hibernate, by the time i put on my seat belt and press the clutch music starts playing, cold boot takes 45 seconds by the time i finish reversing music starts playing, as DP said you can always resort to standby which might give you 5 second boots, just keep in mind i have seen alpine avic units that take about 30 secs to boot while it loads.

2. the daylight thing i'm not touching but if you did custom fabbing you could have resed the screen or angled it so the sun wouldn't hit it so bad.

3. as far as syncing the touch, you can configure itunes to sync automatically then just point your front end to the itunes folder (c:\docs and setts\user\my docs\my music\itunes), that way when the touch syncs your front end will sync

4.as far as sorting just configure itunes to sort your music the way you want it to that way the front end only reads and itunes does the hard work.

5. as far as the wireless sync, what do you use? i use goodsync it monitors my wireless network when my car-pc connects goodsync detects the network folder and syncs the car-pc with my server, when it finishes it sends a net send message to my car-pc so i know it's done.

6. for physical control you can use a rotary control with fusion brain, or use a griffin powermate.
                          http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

7.the volume thing has been answered

8. you can use a usb cd player, even better you can mold it into the dash, but the whole point of a car-pc is to not have to use a cd player, i molded 2 usb ports into my dash so that i could use a thumb drive instead of cds, you don't have to mold them you could just buy this in the cig lighter
                          http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_M..._p/com-040.htm
                          Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Everyone, thanks for all the info. I guess I will hold off on selling things just yet and try to plan it out a little bit more. I like the idea of pointing the front end to the itunes folder and using itunes...I will give that a try.

I used Windows Live Sync, it worked perfectly when I had everything in my room but I was so mad when it wasn't working in the car I never tried to fix it yet.

I mean money wise I havn't invested a huge amount, the screen is a Xenarc 700ts , and I am using a older P4 1.8Ghz computer so that is prob. a big issue on the slow return from hibernation.

Still anymore input keep it coming I welcome it all no matter good or bad.

Comment

well that's your problem right there, Windows Live Sync, give AllawaySync a try, it's free and you can configure it to monitor network drives, when a drive is plugged in, or even time based.
                              Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Working...
                              X