Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some iritants in an otherwise perfect installation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some iritants in an otherwise perfect installation.

I just finished the install of my HP T5700 with 10gb HD and 65Mb add on Video card (the GPS was freezing the computer with the internal 16Mb Video memory) It is running full up XP. All my "stuff" is working, GPS in 3-D mode, MS Media Manager (for music), On Board Diagnostics (virtual dash etc.) WiFi (roving perfectly from one station to the next as I drive), MagicJack telephone.

BUT....it has several things I dont like and dont know how to fix.

FIRST...I cannot get it to boot without a Welcome screen of some sort. When I first put it in it would boot straight to my desktop without any intervention. Now it wants either a mouse click on the correct "USER" or I can set it to where it needs a password input. I want to boot right past those and have a hands off boot to the desktop. I know it can be done because it was doing that at first. Then I changed something and I have this boot problem. Any suggestions???

SECOND... When I shut down by turning off the key the computer is confused on the next boot. Is there some way other than carefully shutting down the computer each time, that I can remove power and yet have it return next time with no problems???

THIRD... I want to set up a 10 minute (or adjustable) delay on the shut down so that I can stop for a tank of gas without having to re boot the computer when I get on the road again. It takes 3 or 4 miles to get rebooted with all the software I am using. Maybe a Time Delay Relay. I am afraid that if I just use a toggle switch I will someday forget to turn it off. Running it in a hot parking lot all afternoon would surely kill it in short order. Maybe this could be combined with "SECOND" above. Any suggestions on a solution?

FOURTH... I really dont like MS Media Manager, but I dont want to spend more money (actually I wouldnt mind, but my wife would) on a new audio interface. What I dont like about MS in particular is that I would like to set the music to run continuously from album to album (on my 4gb USB Thumb drive) instead of having to restart each album, and I dont see the way to do that.

All in all I am quite pleased with the installation and can live with the above, but I think maybe those items can be cured. Any help would be welcome.
    Jim Isbell
    Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

1. check the user settings, there is usually a hidden user that windows likes to place there that will cause this issue, also, make sure that the checkbox for "use the welcome screen" is not checked.

2+3. what are you currently using for a shutdown controller/power supply?

4. are you using a front end of any sort? if you are trying to just use windows for controlling/playing all your media, and money is a issue (or is supposed to be a issue ) look into a couple of free front ends to better control your media. there are a couple of that should work, the most popular of which is riderunner.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      1. check the user settings, there is usually a hidden user that windows likes to place there that will cause this issue, also, make sure that the checkbox for "use the welcome screen" is not checked
      If all else fails download TweakUI from Microsoft. It has automatic login options.

Comment

1. check the user settings, there is usually a hidden user that windows likes to place there that will cause this issue, also, make sure that the checkbox for "use the welcome screen" is not checked..
        I have done that, no help.

2+3. what are you currently using for a shutdown controller/power supply?.
        None, it is just connected to the cigar lighter line that comes on and off with the ignition key.

4. are you using a front end of any sort? if you are trying to just use windows for controlling/playing all your media, and money is a issue (or is supposed to be a issue ) look into a couple of free front ends to better control your media. there are a couple of that should work, the most popular of which is riderunner.
        Nope, just trying to let Windows control the software. I will look into those you mentioned. I didnt know there were any that were free.

Thanks for a bunch of good information.
        Jim Isbell
        Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

Comment

all your questions are answered in stickys... but how are you running off the 12v socket? are you going into a power inverter then running a regular desktop power supply?

sorry i see now what you have is like an ultra mini desktop... that actually uses DC input. even with that setup, you need an intelligent power supply that can handle your shutdowns and startups. they allow you to set that delay you want- 10min or whatever, so youre not accidentally shutting off the pc when you dont want to... and also it will keep the voltage going into your pc at 12v no matter what. what you have right now, your pc is seeing 14+v, and even down to 8v when you crank the engine...

Comment

The HP Thin Client runs off of 12VDC. The FM transmitter (to the car sound system) runs off of 12 VDC, and the Rear view camera also runs off of 12VDC. No inverters or AC is needed.

When I crank the engine the computer is OFF as the cigar lighter voltage goes to ZERO and the computer reboots.

What and where is an Intelegent power supply?
            Jim Isbell

Comment

Where are the stickys, I looked and didnt see any of them. Do the titles address my questions or do I have to just drag through them till I find what I am looking for?
              Jim Isbell

Comment

check out the store section of this website. you do need one. even if youre getting a semi-clean 12v from your socket, its not the right or safe way to do it. the intelligent power supplies give you 100% stable power no matter what your car is doing, and is 'smart' in the sense that it knows when to turn your pc on and off, based on what you set it up to do. harder to explain then it is to have a look yourself-

this is the one i have. its fine for the price... but if you can afford it ther better brands

http://store.mp3car.com/M2_ATX_160W_..._p/pwr-027.htm

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php/Power

Wait, I thought cars used 12V. Why does a car PC require power regulation?
                  Automobiles use alternators to generate the power for the electrical items in the car. An alternator's output varies depending on the engine speed (often as high as 14 volts or more. In addition, battery voltages vary as well, usually from 13.5 volts at the high end to as low as 9 volts when cranking the engine. Computer electronics require stable voltages and are sensitive to spikes and dips in the voltage supplied to them. Typical symptoms of low voltage to a computer is instantaneous and unexpected shutdowns, freezes, and generally unreliable operations. Voltages that are too high can cause electronic components to fail, sometimes with spectacular and pyrotechnic results.

Comment

My car does NOT have an alternator or a generator. Its a 2000 Honda Insight. The voltage is ALWAYS between 12 and 13 volts and is off when cranking. There is no need for regulation as the car takes care of that impeccably. The voltage on the 12V battery is derived from the 170VDC motor drive battery.
                    Jim Isbell

Comment

maybe minlogon would help with your boot up
                      http://granturing.blogspot.com/

MinLogon is a component from Windows XP Embedded. It's meant for devices that need a small footprint and quick start up time. It bypasses the typical XP startup and login procedure. The OS essentially runs as the System account rather than a typical user account. It has some side effects such as the system not responding to the ACPI power button (search the MP3Car.com forums for a workaround) and some plug and play issues. I would recommend installing MinLogon after setting up your system. MinLogon does not require EWF to run and it's not necessary in order to install XP to a flash drive, but it has been shown to improve boot time considerably.
                      Edit: although I think TweakUI may be an easier route and do what your are looking for

Comment

The small device listed for startup and shutdown looks like just the ticket....but I have decided to build my own. Its a simple circuit with a delay relay and a sequencer ...to push the "stop" button and then cut the power. Looks easy to me.
                        Jim Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by csfile View Post
                          maybe minlogon would help with your boot up
                          http://granturing.blogspot.com/
                          From my own experience, I don't recommend installing minlogon on top of an already up and running system. Since it creates a "system" user account, a number of programs will have to be re-configured to work in that account. It does speed boot time a little though, so it has it's uses.

Comment

Originally posted by jimisbell View Post
                            My car does NOT have an alternator or a generator. Its a 2000 Honda Insight. The voltage is ALWAYS between 12 and 13 volts and is off when cranking. There is no need for regulation as the car takes care of that impeccably. The voltage on the 12V battery is derived from the 170VDC motor drive battery.
                            i would still use a intelligent dc-dc power supply-- there are alot of computer components that you stand to burn up with a constant variance of +/- 1-2 volts.

computers like consistant voltage, and when they don't get it, they tend to have problems
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

For the logon:
                              • Go to Start -> Run, and enter "control userpasswords2". This brings up a User Accounts box.
                              • Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".
                              • Click Apply or OK and it will ask which user you want to logon automatically and ask for that user's name and password. Leave the password blank if it is blank, or enter it.

I use this function on my home PC so that I can have my machine password protected over the network, but freely accessible (at least on first boot) from the console. I also have it set on my carPC where I do have a password, so that credentials are already entered if I want into my network from my car.

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

Working...
                              X