No announcement yet.

Upgraded to SSD. Anyone else notice no significant speedboost? Tweaks?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded to SSD. Anyone else notice no significant speedboost? Tweaks?

So my new 60G OCZ Summit came in and I installed Windows 7 Tiny Edition Rev01. After fiddling around with it for a day, I still kept having hibernation problems (blank screen on resume) and the touchscreen not working after resume. So screw it, I just did a clone of my previous (reliable) Windows XP SP3 install which was installed on my 80GB Seagate EE25 Extreme Environment drive using XXClone.

Admittedly, boot times are a bit quicker. The Windows XP loading progress bar goes by much quicker, and the desktop is faster to load. But the time it takes for Centrafuse to start up is practically the same. As for hibernation, going into and coming out of hibernation is practically the same as my old 80GB EE25.

My motherboard is a Jetway J7F2WE2G, with SATA 150. I did some quick benchmarks, and admittedly, the OCZ is a bit faster. Sequential read/write was about 45MB/s on my EE25 and 125MB/s on the OCZ. I seen some benchmarks where people have gotten 200MB/s on the OCZ, any ideas what I can try to bump up the speed? Ive already got write caching enabled in device manager.

So yea, basically, according to benchmarks the OCZ SSD is much faster, but in real life application (mostly hibernation), Im not noticing anything significant. Tips, advice?

The SSD isnt' going to make the slow C7 processor go any faster....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      The SSD isnt' going to make the slow C7 processor go any faster....
      No BUT system will boot a lot of faster than normal HDD...

I use ewfmgr to cache all writes on my 120GB OCZ Apex (raid 0, 230MB/sec on reads) to keep the drive running at maximum speed on my notebook. If I turn off ewfmgr the SSD drive slows down significantly and operates about the same as a regular HD again.

My boot time was reduced significantly when I have ewfmgr turned on, but then again that's not important if you're using hibernate.

Speeding up your drive is only part of making your computer go faster. Sounds like you're getting the benefits of a faster drive. The rest (Centrafuse startup time) is probably related to the speed and architecture of the system.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

why didn't you get the vertex (almost the same price). I benched mine at 200 something MB/s.
            Hibernation times depends on your bios or your windows startup.
            If your POST takes a while, then turn off unneeded stuff on bios (LAN,serial...etc)
            If your windows logo takes a while, then use bootvis to see which component (services/driver) takes the longest, then turn it off if possible.

The Vertex and Summit are almost equivalent, but I got the summit because it was on sale for $140 canadian shipped. What I meant by hibernation times were almost equivalent was that the progress bar for resume from hibernation was basically identical with the SSD and HDD.

i noticed in my own experience that resume time is as ram/mobo/components dependent as it is hard drive dependent. I doubt its your ram since you only got 512mb.
                Turn off useless stuff from your bios because that'll not only reduce your bios time, it reduces the windows resume time because there's no driver to be loaded.
                Certain components mostly usb, causes your computer to take forever to resume. so external HD/Usb sticks....etc should be checked to see if they slow down your resume time.

has anyone looked at the read/write speeds of SSD's? theyre slower if not vaugely equal to ATA100 speeds unless you shell out 100's of dollars... and for the price, i'd rather just get a 6 pack of SATA300 drives for about the same price as a decent SSD...

my suggestion would be use a SATA laptop drive for pagefile usage and use the SSD for just file/os storage... the slower speeds of the SSD might be the key... but ive never ran the win7 tiny edition either which im guessing has a 'no' page file option?
                  98 Chevy Astro AWD

1969 Cadillac Deville

2009 HHR LS.... DEAD PROJECT!!

'97 Seville STS - SOLD ~_~

its not the speed of ssd that most of us are after. Its really the 0 seek time, for faster boots, and the shock/temp tolerance.

Originally posted by Punky View Post
                      its not the speed of ssd that most of us are after. Its really the 0 seek time, for faster boots, and the shock/temp tolerance.
                      Well it is lower seek time, but not 0. 0 spinup since nothing spins, but there is still latency involved in getting from an index pointer to the data information. This does equate to faster read/write times with multiple files, but slower sustained read/write times. Shock tolerance is good since there are no moving parts, but as far as temperature is concerned they still operate over the commercial hardware range of 0C to 40C unless you go uber high end.

As to the OP, I would concur with DP that it is your C7 that's the bottleneck. What does your resource manager show while CF is loading? It is probably maxing out one of the resources.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the Store

I'm uncertain at the moment whether ssd, will have a better cold temp tolerance, but its definitely better in hot weather. Probably because of the lower heat release in a small enclosures.

I forgot the exact numbers, but my CPU usage is not maxed out when loading CF. I am guessing it must be the onboard SATA 150 chipset that is slow. I wonder if SATA 150 vs SATA 300 will make a significant difference? I get the same ~110MB/s sequential speed in both XP and Win7. I dont think I really care about random read/write, I think it's more important to have fast sequential for hibernation.

Anyways, the SSD was somewhat of an impulse buy since it was on sale for $140 Canadian after rebate shipped. But nevertheless, the durability of the SSD is the main selling point for me. My Seagate EE25 has proven itself good even at -40C, so hopefully my OCZ Summit wont let me down this winter. But Im a bit worried since Punky and other people have had non working SSDs in wintertime.