Hiding my LCD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding my LCD?

Well I have everything in my car and it works, but I can't use it......I need to find a way to hide my lcd. I have a good location for it, but its visible if you look inside the car. Its a Xenarc 7" screen to give you a size idea. Currently Im thinking of maybe cuttint the bottom out of a kleenex box and just sticking it over it when im not in the car. It would hide most of it, but looks kinda silly. How do you guys keep your LCD screens hidden? Any ideas of stuff people keep in their car that I can use to cover it with? My dad said just to find a piece of fabric that is dash color and use velcro to attach it around the screen, but I think that would stick out to.

Thanks,
    Lyth
    Project K4RPU73R
    ----------------------
    Via Epia-M 9000
    256MB PC2100
    40GB IBM Travelstar
    7" Xenarc
    DeLorme Earthmate GPS

I don't have any suggestions right now (let me think) but this is a sad friggin comentary on the lengths we have to go just to keep our damned installs.

Comment

might suggest getting dark tints, and a sunvisor. That way no one can look in (unless they smash your windows)

Comment

It is very sad, but I know if I don't find a way to hide it the screen will be gone in less then a week. I work in not the best of areas and my car is parked in the street a lot in front of my house. We have lots of young "ghetto"(sorry its the only way to put it) kids that are always walking up and down our street. Im sure someone would notice it and take it.

Its slightly to large just to toss a baseball hat over. I just can't wait till I figure something out and I can actually use it.
        Project K4RPU73R
        ----------------------
        Via Epia-M 9000
        256MB PC2100
        40GB IBM Travelstar
        7" Xenarc
        DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

how is it mounted on the dash? maybe mount it with velcro, then just pop it off and put it under your seat, or in your glovebox. (if it fits)
          Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
          Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
          '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

I thought about doing that, but I think I would break where the VGA cable plugs into it. It seems fragile in that area. Eventually Im gonna make it some how slide out of the dash and fold up(i think) but until then I found an ideal spot for it.

I've been trying to think of something to hide it/cove it with all day, but im all out of ideas.
            Project K4RPU73R
            ----------------------
            Via Epia-M 9000
            256MB PC2100
            40GB IBM Travelstar
            7" Xenarc
            DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

I remember seeing some covers for CD decks that looked like A/C vents. Naturaly this would take some fabrication tho.
              No Carputer YET.
              A car I'm designing...

Comment

glad they gave me such a nice spot with a door to cover it and everything. yeah Im a bastard...

in your case tho...

if I am correct, the input slides in from the side, so create a mount that firmly holds the plugs in position, then just slide the screen over into the plugs, no fuss, a real sturdy setup that should reduce any chance of it breaking. then get a nice hard case that will fit it and take it with you.

that be what Id try for, just some way to totally remove the screen, since no matter what method you use, if they see the screen once, theyll know its there and take it. but if you remove it, doesnt matter what they know, theres no screen to take.

Comment

taking it out everytime I leave the car really isn't an option. It would be more of a hassle carrying around a decent sized screen everywhere I go. Its down low enough in the dash so no one is gonna see it when im driving around so Im not worried about that. Its just the whole if someone is walking though a parking lot and happens to look in the driver or passenger window the would see it.
                  Project K4RPU73R
                  ----------------------
                  Via Epia-M 9000
                  256MB PC2100
                  40GB IBM Travelstar
                  7" Xenarc
                  DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

maybe you can shorten the cables (VGA and power) so that you can unplug it and put it in the glove compartment.

So just get a male and female 15pin adapter, and power jack.
                    OR
                    a vga cable and power jack extension cord

Comment

this is just my idea but in my s-10 i plan on using a 11" lcd very tight fit but doable in the dash where the old radio went
                      i am going to a junk yard to get a old radio and surrounding trim
                      but the face of the radio off and attach it to the trim plate and hinge it and use a servo controller to lower it down out of the way when in use and when not in use it comes back up and looks liek the stock tape deck crap unit not knowing how your car is i dunno if you have the room for such a setup
                      WINNER!!!!
                      run-on sentance comp 2002!!
                      :)

Comment

fake plate

Great Idea oddcomp, in fact that's the best solution my dad & I came up with.

Get an old trim panel/console bezel and just mount the face plate of a cheapy stock radio on it and use velcro to stick it on.

The velcro don't look pretty when the cover's off, but it's a great way of hiding the console. That's what I plan on doing with my setup.

I've got a 10.4" panel I'm mounting right in the center console in my 84 Celica GT, and I'm gonna have to make an entire new custom trim panel for it, so I plan on using the old one as a fake plate to cover the panel.

I was tempted to put a MP3 sticker on my car since I'm such an mp3 junkie (17,000 and counting) and I've got the Jensen MP3310 Mp3 player head unit. But I thought better of it & decided to not put anything relating to computers or stereo stuff on my car. ie "AMD Powered" "mp3" etc etc.
                        If you're not paranoid, then you're not paying enough attention. -kmfdmk.com
                        http://www.mymp3car.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp

1985 Supra 7M-GTE
                        10.4" Planar LCD
                        ECS GOAL3+ mobo w/ 512mb + 8GB sdhc
                        Edimax EW7318USG Wifi w/ 7 db Ant.
                        USB GPS

Comment

http://upload.nowherenews.com/files/81271096.jpeg
                          now u see it...
                          http://upload.nowherenews.com/files/52479856.jpeg
                          now u dont
                          well thats my impreza rs 2000
                          hope u find a place like that

Comment

to be honest kri its kinda fugly in the open position <your gonna add trim right ? >not to mention a great cop attention getter ""but""" its a great idea i do like it maybe look into a 2 servo controller or sumthing to raise it kick out the lower half and drop it over the vents and lower back down to almost closed so the lcd is about the same place but over the vents then push the button again and it goes up pulls in and closes completly much less hard ware in the way of the road less cop getting attention plus the ooh and ahh factor is better from average passengers
                            WINNER!!!!
                            run-on sentance comp 2002!!
                            :)

Comment

Kri, don't mind oddcomp, he's just a hater . I think think its a good place for it. I thought I remember you saying something about adding vinyl trim or plether so it folds up when you close it?

I don't think it would attract the cops, bc I think kri said that it wasn't in the FOV (field of view). Besides, you can just snap it closed. It's probably one of the better setups in case you run into the law.

BTW oddcomp, your really did win the Run-On Competition..didn't you?
                              No Carputer YET.
                              A car I'm designing...

Comment

Working...
                              X