10 second Windows Boot!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 second Windows Boot!

Oh wow, came across this and thought it is an interesting concept. 10 second Windows 7 boot:

http://gizmodo.com/5367958/phoenixs-...-in-10-seconds

Seems limited to laptops, but I'm wondering if this kind of concept can be used on the existing hardware that most of us have. Maybe like on my Jetway J7F2WE2G =D

In addition to the POST which seems to be instantaneous, Im wondering how they managed to get Windows 7 to load up so fast after POST. I know it's SSD, but wow, I cant even get my XP boot to be that fast using an OCZ Summit SSD.

win7 boots pretty fast out of the box...idk if you've had a chance to play with it yet but i would say thats a typical startup time.

That instant on bios is pretty impressive though...even if it does fall into the "duh they should have done it sooner" category.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Cool.

Ubuntu 9.10 boots in 5s: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/r...ons-arrive.ars

Sorry, I'm a troll... I just have to rub it in where I can :P
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Silly Kev, you don't even realize this isn't about windows, but it's about the bios.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
          Silly Kev, you don't even realize this isn't about windows, but it's about the bios.
          wat's a "by-osss"?

Comment

My Jetway has a Phoenix BIOS, so it would be awesome if they started to release some sort of BIOS update with this new feature. Or maybe someone in the future will reverse engineer it =)

Im not too concerned about Windows load times, but if they can significantly decrease the BIOS POST time, that would greatly reduce hibernation times as a result. Impressive that Ubuntu can boot so much faster, but for my purposes, I see Windows as far superior to Linux. Not planning on switching anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
              Impressive that Ubuntu can boot so much faster
              Ubuntu claims the next version will boot that fast....if you read the article their tests yielded a 22second average startup time
              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
              - Always Recruiting Developers -
              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                Ubuntu claims the next version will boot that fast....if you read the article their tests yielded a 22second average startup time
                yes, but there is a boot-chart that proves one of the devs got a 5 sec startup.

But yeah, we don't know what hardware this person was testing on or what tweaks he made to make it boot that fast.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                  Impressive that Ubuntu can boot so much faster, but for my purposes, I see Windows as far superior to Linux. Not planning on switching anytime soon.
                  Linooks gives you more purpose.

Comment

Just my opinion, but Ive tried some Linux front ends and they offer no where near the level of refinement that Windows front ends like Road Runner and Centrafuse currently provide. Doesnt matter to me if it indeed offers more functionality if it takes me a week of researching and troubleshooting just to get it to do something I want. Much rather to just install and go. I dont mind sacrificing some performance or load time in exchange for a better looking and usable interface, but of course the more we can cut load times, the better our carpcs can feel like to being an OEM radio.

In addition to the BIOS optimization, surely something must have been done on the OS side of things. I tried Tiny7 on my SSD, and even that is no where as fast as Windows 7 in that video.

Comment

oh, so what you originally meant to say is Windows frontends are superior to Linux frontends, not the actual operating systems themselves.

CF may be superior to nGhost on Linux. CF may also be prettier for now. But RR? I have yet to see a RR skin that i find in the least attractive.

I'm not trying to convince you to use linux, I'm just hoping people don't close up to it. It's rough now for sure, but wait until you see the new interface that I'm working on. It'll blow CF3 away.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                        oh, so what you originally meant to say is Windows frontends are superior to Linux frontends, not the actual operating systems themselves.

CF may be superior to nGhost on Linux. CF may also be prettier for now. But RR? I have yet to see a RR skin that i find in the least attractive.

I'm not trying to convince you to use linux, I'm just hoping people don't close up to it. It's rough now for sure, but wait until you see the new interface that I'm working on. It'll blow CF3 away.
                        Bring it on. I'm all about LINUX...though the community may be throwing tomatos at me for saying that my new project will be using Windows 7. I will however be using my current PC as an additional PC for the backseat riders and it will be running LINUX which will also be networked to the main PC that will be running the Windows 7.

My home network however is ALL LINUX..and I only use Windows for Netflix Instant Watch..which happens to run in a virtual machine on my LINUX host..

But yeah...my current CarPC is running LINUX.
                        "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
                        Recent Proj
                        Old Proj II
                        Old Proj I
                        YouTube:Project Videos
                        Homepage: HexxWorld.net
                        Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

Comment

No, actually I do think Windows OS's are superior to Linux OS's as well. Would probably even rather get a Mac than a Linux machine, but that's just my preference. CarPC front ends are a whole different story though.

Not trying to turn this into a Linux vs Windows ****ing fest, but regardless of whether Linux can boot in 5s or not, having to wait 10s+ for the BIOS to POST is still a bottleneck that's independent of the OS. Anyways, Im just hoping more manufacturers will follow suit. It looks like they installed the new Phoenix BIOS in a standard Lenovo T400, which is why I am wondering about the possibilities of flashing this BIOS on other systems as well.

Comment

about freakin time pheonix got their **** together. these bios's are horrible for startups, most of them taking longer to load then windows itself. this bios clearly eliminated the bios boot time, which enables windows to start loading as soon as you push the power button.

now, i still prefer hibernate because it saves my session... but this is something that ALL computers should have, there is no reason to wait for a bios to load unless youre troubleshooting.

Comment

To do this they are using the new EFI bios, not the standard bios you are used too. Windows 7, OS10.something (forget which one), and Linux support the new EFI bios. XP does not. It is not very likely you will see EFI bios's created for existing boards, but this will be something you will in the PC world moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X