Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Carpc to get stolen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1st Carpc to get stolen

    I am starting a new thread about the security of the carpc itself. My carpc got stolen yesterday i.e. 12th December 2009.

    the thief broke my front passenger side window and took out the whole computer with the screen and all the usb device connected to it. So today i am planning to install a new carpc but i am thinking of adding some kind of security to it.

    would really like to know if any body has put any kind of security measure to stop the stealing of pc.

  • #2
    Utilize some sort of laptop lock in a way to at least slow them down? Or perhaps mount things in the trunk out of sight, maybe consider using torx screws in an attempt at slowing them down?.

    Also consider just a better alarm system?

    You just have to remember that if someone wants to steal something, they are going to steal it.

    Comment


    • #4
      I'm a fan of the weld it in method

      but seriously the best things you can do are make it less attractive to steal. Have a good and visible alarm system, make it look as OEM as possible, possibly even cover it, etc.

      Then of course there are the counter measures->everything from torx screws to connecting the screws to positive and hoping for the DIY taser effect--depending on how crazy you are.
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
        ...DIY taser effect--depending on how crazy you are.
        That is awesome!!!

        Comment


        • #6
          This is why I keep my carpc, amp, subs in the trunk locked. Only way to open the trunk is with a key since I disabled the switch to open the trunk from the inside. Also consider making a fake faceplate for your LCD as well as using a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrent. And if you are really hardcore, then you can start looking at alarm systems, surveillance systems, etc...

          No one single solution will keep you 100% safe, but every little thing that you can do to decrease your chances helps.

          Comment


          • #7
            DIY taser effect? sounds like a DIY fried carpc

            then again if its fried no sense in stealing it then

            Comment


            • #8
              I will put the amp and the carPC under the seat, so the thief will have to remove the seats do steal it.
              I will add a some kind of mechanical protection for the screen, like some kind of shutters
              (or blinds, i dunno what is it in English) on it to look like the air duct grill, locked until I turn ignition on.

              Also, my car is very ugly and dirty from outside, so it's not even worth to look inside it
              Check my worklog:
              Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

              Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

              "Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
              because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

              Comment


              • #9
                this solution will 100 percent works. put a 12v to 220v inverter and stick shaved wires all around your stuff with glue and connect it to 220v. use a relay so when you turn off your car, relay turns on the inverter and all your shaved wires go live. then if anyone touch them, get shocked:d you might get flat battery but use less power inverters like 20watts or 50watts and you will be suit by the way stick some signs around your car to say that you got 220v, otherwise if you kill someone, you will get in trouble.... hahahaha but seriously if I had a expensive carPc, I would do that....
                There is nothing impossible in the world :-)

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by shahabmusic View Post
                  this solution will 100 percent works. put a 12v to 220v inverter and stick shaved wires all around your stuff with glue and connect it to 220v. use a relay so when you turn off your car, relay turns on the inverter and all your shaved wires go live. then if anyone touch them, get shocked:d you might get flat battery but use less power inverters like 20watts or 50watts and you will be suit by the way stick some signs around your car to say that you got 220v, otherwise if you kill someone, you will get in trouble.... hahahaha but seriously if I had a expensive carPc, I would do that....
                  I dont know how well 220v will go through heavy clothing though? Ive had 120v go through two fingers before and that was SCARY.

                  Although if you dont limit the current, you could kill them. Personally, I dont care about the well being of a thief, but here in Canada, you would probably get into serious **** for something like that. A better option would be to use the high voltage backlight inverter from an LCD. Probably like 600+ volts and the current is less.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    my wiring is such a disaster that i'm positive a thief would electricute himself trying to steal my car pc lol
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      How about Lojack for laprops.

                      You can use it on any PC and they say they recover 2 out of 3 stolen PCs with the software on it.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by simplex View Post
                        I will put the amp and the carPC under the seat, so the thief will have to remove the seats do steal it.
                        I will add a some kind of mechanical protection for the screen, like some kind of shutters
                        (or blinds, i dunno what is it in English) on it to look like the air duct grill, locked until I turn ignition on.

                        Also, my car is very ugly and dirty from outside, so it's not even worth to look inside it
                        This thread makes me laff XD

                        locked unitl ignition is on? Sounds awesome, just wondering how? Or even nicer would be hidden away until ignition, then mechanically appears from behind the air vents or something =P wish I had dyi skills lol
                        Car: Ford Focus
                        Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Ok so seriously. I feel bad that your computer was stolen. I the last 20 years I've had one 3000$ stereo system stolen. Yea it hurt at the time. So here is what I learned from it. Get a car alarm with auto locks (15 secs max) and with a 120 db siren inside the car as well as outside.(yes it will hurt if it goes off and they are taking your stuff) Put your amps, computer, and crossovers under seats or in the trunk. Use vandal proof screws once you have it where you want it. Park under well lit areas(here was my mistake besides a factory car alarm.) Remember this; if they want it they'll take it. Carry insurance if you can. Lastly live free, learn, move on and die well.
                          My new install

                          D945GCLF2, M350 case,Xenarc 700 tsv,m-4 ATX
                          Visteon HD radio w/mitches cable, BU-353
                          2 Punch 150 amps, 1 Kicker ZX 400.1 watt
                          4 Boston Acoustic Speakers,2 Pioneer 10 subs

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by SoloconDeus View Post
                            Ok so seriously. I feel bad that your computer was stolen. I the last 20 years I've had one 3000$ stereo system stolen. Yea it hurt at the time. So here is what I learned from it. Get a car alarm with auto locks (15 secs max) and with a 120 db siren inside the car as well as outside.(yes it will hurt if it goes off and they are taking your stuff) Put your amps, computer, and crossovers under seats or in the trunk. Use vandal proof screws once you have it where you want it. Park under well lit areas(here was my mistake besides a factory car alarm.) Remember this; if they want it they'll take it. Carry insurance if you can. Lastly live free, learn, move on and die well.
                            some good ideas-- sums up almost everything i was going to say. thoug i like 2-way alarms better-- most of the time you are very rarely outside of range of the newer alarms available these days, and while it is a good thing for your awareness, it is one of a only a couple of things you can do to prolong the time it takes for thieves to steal something, in hopes that they will either pass over your car for a easier one, or leave it partially ripped out when it gets too hard, there is nothing that you can do that would completely gaurantee that your gear will never get stolen...
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                            next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X